2022 World Cup cloth installation

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I noted this in the World Cup thread on the main board but I guess most rather blather on about the best tip or joint pin.

I finally had a chance to watch some of the World Cup and quickly noted the cloth wrapping method at the side pockets....
Screenshot from 2022-06-17 10-00-52.png
Screenshot from 2022-06-17 12-44-54.png

The fold above is opposite from what you find on a typical simonis installation, and any installation I've ever laid eyes on.

Those in the know see any draw backs to this fold style...? I honestly always thought the more traditional method was born from not wanting the tip of the fold protruding out of the rail. However it seems as though they have pull this tight enough that this isn't an issue.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have only seen "hackwork" done like that! Very interesting, I wonder what it looks like down the long rail across the side pocket.
From the first pic it looks like a ball might catch it going across the side?? Strange. I am not sold on it or against it. Would have to see it in person. Maybe the guy who did it will post up an explanation ??

TFT

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I wonder what it looks like down the long rail across the side pocket. From the first pic it looks like a ball might catch it going across the side??
I would have to imagine that if a ball couldn't pass cleanly across the side pocket along that rail, we would have seen the bitching on the forum in all caps by now...lol

It appears as though they have pulled the cloth enough to avoid bunching at the point. Whether or not things could loosen up there is a question for me. Seems like a experienced balance between tight enough and not so tight as to pull in the points.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Here's the best 'along the rail' pic I've managed to grab thus far. Looks pretty clean...
View attachment 646912
The only issue I can think of would be: what about those who do it that way and are not good at it? I am not against change, but, it aint broken the way we normally do it, so I likely will not change that in my installs. I wonder who is pioneering that??

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Did you happen to get any good screen captures of the corner pockets? I seen someone mention on Facebook about the pockets being straight cut instead of a V shape.
????? What do you mean? You mean pro cut and not varying angles?

TFT

TrxR

????? What do you mean? You mean pro cut and not varying angles?

TFT
From the way he talked was the pockets were cut at a 90 degree angle therefore the mouth and throat of the pocket were the same size. I can't really picture that working.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
From the way he talked was the pockets were cut at a 90 degree angle therefore the mouth and throat of the pocket were the same size. I can't really picture that working.
It is a Rasson Pool table and it has a ProCut Pocket. likely 141 degree opening, so not exactly "equal" at the front and back.
I hear Diamond and Rasson are working on a standard cut and 4" size for Matchroom events.

TFT

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
The only issue I can think of would be: what about those who do it that way and are not good at it? I am not against change, but, it aint broken the way we normally do it, so I likely will not change that in my installs. I wonder who is pioneering that??

TFT
This is most common way to fold cloth on the side pickets in Europe

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I noted this in the World Cup thread on the main board but I guess most rather blather on about the best tip or joint pin.

I finally had a chance to watch some of the World Cup and quickly noted the cloth wrapping method at the side pockets....
View attachment 646792View attachment 646793

The fold above is opposite from what you find on a typical simonis installation, and any installation I've ever laid eyes on.

Those in the know see any draw backs to this fold style...? I honestly always thought the more traditional method was born from not wanting the tip of the fold protruding out of the rail. However it seems as though they have pull this tight enough that this isn't an issue.
Our league tables were recovered like that at several establishments, the ball will not go cleanly down the rail past the side pockets, at least not on the tables we play on.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Our league tables were recovered like that at several establishments, the ball will not go cleanly down the rail past the side pockets, at least not on the tables we play on.
That is the only concern I can see with the method. It's reliant on the cloth being stretched correctly to avoid bunching in the wrong spot.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

View attachment 646792View attachment 646793

I see no issues with the fold in the side pockets if wrapped correctly. I use the fold even on Valley rails, those that like the no fold on Valley rails must also like and support the curved side pocket facings as well, because that's what the result is from pulling the cloth so tight around the back of the rail just to avoid putting a fold in the side pockets.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
This is exactly why I question the method. People can barely do the proper fold on the side, let alone the front. No need for it in my opinion.

TFT

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This is exactly why I question the method. People can barely do the proper fold on the side, let alone the front. No need for it in my opinion.

TFT
I thought about a potential upside. Only thing I could come up with is not having the buried fold within the pocket subjected to ball impact wear. I know that after time the fold will produce a wear line within the pocket.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I thought about a potential upside. Only thing I could come up with is not having the buried fold within the pocket subjected to ball impact wear. I know that after time the fold will produce a wear line within the pocket.
I thought about that as well. The fold is supposed to be at the top and not in the middle to avoid the line you are speaking of. I am betting that the front mounted fold, in our industry here in the USA would produce a worse issue than the side fold. The ball not clearing the side pocket on a long rail shot would be far worse than what ever could come out of the fold being to low on the side fold. IMO.

TFT

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I thought about that as well. The fold is supposed to be at the top and not in the middle to avoid the line you are speaking of. I am betting that the front mounted fold, in our industry here in the USA would produce a worse issue than the side fold. The ball not clearing the side pocket on a long rail shot would be far worse than what ever could come out of the fold being to low on the side fold. IMO.

TFT
Yep, my completely unprofessional opinion is that this method of the wrapping the sides works well on the short term pro circuit temporary situation, but has potential to be problemmatic in a home/club enviroment.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yep, my completely unprofessional opinion is that this method of the wrapping the sides works well on the short term pro circuit temporary situation, but has potential to be problemmatic in a home/club enviroment.
Please explain?

TFT

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Please explain?
What I'm thinking is that the fold method Matchroom used works well if you're unconcerned with long term wear.

It obviously needs to be installed with additional care so potential bunching along the rail isn't a problem. However, and here's where my unprofessional thoughts come into play, long term play may shift that fold upward and/or the cloth relaxing may allow the fold to protrude into the playing surface of the cushion. ...so, not a problem for temp tourney set ups when replacing cloth frequently. Potential problem if you plan on not reclothing your table for a year or two..., or it sees a ton of play