Juma for Joints?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been working on a lot of cues with Juma instead of phenolic, for the joints and -A- joints.
What's the attraction in choosing it?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've used the ivory colored one , one time.
The attraction was the color.
Much softer than phenolic if that's your thing.
Now, I use phenolic or antlers .

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D
I've used the ivory colored one , one time.
The attraction was the color.
Much softer than phenolic if that's your thing.
Now, I use phenolic or antlers .
Definately noticed the softer material changing joint screws.
OUCH!
What are people thinking!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Robogrip a Juma tube and phenolic tube, you'll know which one is much softer.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if your pin is actually mounted into Juma .............. you don't know how to build cues................... my joint might have a Juma joint cap but the pin is threaded into phenolic...................

Kim

That’s quite the projection there. Do yourself a favor and let us do the thinking. Never said anything to imply anything else but the fact that a thermoform plastic melts. Might want to look in the mirror if you think I was attacking you.

DeeDeeCues

That’s quite the projection there. Do yourself a favor and let us do the thinking. Never said anything to imply anything else but the fact that a thermoform plastic melts. Might want to look in the mirror if you think I was attacking you.

Just a fyi, don't intend to be snide, the proper term for plastics like juma is 'thermoplastic'. Phenolic is 'thermoset'.

DeeDeeCues

Sorry but no. Both are plastics, ones a thermoset and ones thermoform.

Thermoplastics are a type of plastic that can melt and re-form into the same material.

Thermosetting plastics, commonly known by the term, 'thermosets' don't melt and re-form, they break down.

You can remain ignorant, but engineers and material scientists use these terms.

Laymen use your terms.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thermoplastics are a type of plastic that can melt and re-form into the same material.

Thermosetting plastics, commonly known by the term, 'thermosets' don't melt and re-form, they break down.

You can remain ignorant, but engineers and material scientists use these terms.

Laymen use your terms.
Technically speaking thermoform is the method in which the plastic is melted and either extruded or formed. In which I should say juma is a thermoformed plastic. Because we’re talking about a sold product and not the pellets used to make it.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
aEsn08o.jpeg

Not soft at all! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Juma is great for butt cap replacement. It takes a hit without cracking and you can replace a butt cap without having to refinish because it polishes out so nice. It is like Delrin but it glues much better. In my opinion it is just using the right material for the right place. Like what has already been stated, a little soft as a joint material.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member