Would you use... ?

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. Too inconvenient.

But, if you do need them, then by all means, use them.

Despite my tinnitus, my actual hearing is extremely good, for any age. Not sure how that happened, considering I spent 30 years hanging around jet engines. But I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dr dave in his whats in the case thread
had ear plugs in there
says when he was young he used it to mute the sound of his break and will still use them if his opponent has a thunderous break

dquarasr

Registered
Are ear plugs not allowed? I can understand ear buds, since it’s feasible a player can receive coaching, but ear plugs?!?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I played bar league I always had ear plugs in my case to use when that rap crap would come on.
Now the bar had a policy if the really hard core nasty rap came on they would turn it off and no refund for you.
But I dont like any rap period it all sounds the same to me,yeah I'm an old guy.

Ghost of OBC

When I played bar league I always had ear plugs in my case to use when that rap crap would come on.
Now the bar had a policy if the really hard core nasty rap came on they would turn it off and no refund for you.
But I dont like any rap period it all sounds the same to me,yeah I'm an old guy.
If you ever find yourself in the nation's capital, look me up. We can play in some of the rooms around here. Hip-hop and Go-Go turned up to 11 pretty much everywhere. You'll hate it!

*Also, an old guy.

DryFlyTrout

Sound in general, even loud sound, doesn't bother me. I wouldn't wear ear plugs. I would wear ear buds if I could. I prefer certain music and it's not what anyone else is playing or wants to hear.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Frankly, if you can't play well with plenty of noise in the background, it's something you badly need to work on.

Whether you're playing socially or competing, background noise is a fact of life. If you're playing a call-shot game (straight pool, 10-ball, or 8-ball) you need to hear what shot opponent calls. In both nine ball and ten ball, you need to hear it when an opponent calls for a push out or when they call for an extension of the shot clock.

If you have a medical reason requiring covering the ears, that's different.

tomatoshooter

Yes, I noticed my ears ring a lot more since I got my table. In a pool hall the room is much bigger so the noise isn't as severe, although more frequent. Most plugs will not get you dead silence and you can cut them in half for a more moderate reduction, or just don't jam them in as tightly. As far as needing to hear things, chances are the background noise is loud enough that they are talking somewhat loudly.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frankly, if you can't play well with plenty of noise in the background, it's something you badly need to work on.

Whether you're playing socially or competing, background noise is a fact of life. If you're playing a call-shot game (straight pool, 10-ball, or 8-ball) you need to hear what shot opponent calls. In both nine ball and ten ball, you need to hear it when an opponent calls for a push out or when they call for an extension of the shot clock.

If you have a medical reason requiring covering the ears, that's different.
I started using protection for the solace and it worked so the "cheating" eh, BFD. In fact I'm not averse to any kind of passive technical aid; stool, bridge/bridge elevator, shaft only etc... What has concerned me for a couple decades is the levels of music in the bars. That's literally deafening.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I noticed my ears ring a lot more since I got my table. In a pool hall the room is much bigger so the noise isn't as severe, although more frequent. Most plugs will not get you dead silence and you can cut them in half for a more moderate reduction, or just don't jam them in as tightly. As far as needing to hear things, chances are the background noise is loud enough that they are talking somewhat loudly.
I use off the rack (Walmart) -33db foamies and you can actually hear speech better in a loud environment.

tomatoshooter

I use off the rack (Walmart) -33db foamies and you can actually hear speech better in a loud environment.
We should start thinking about earplugs as being more like sunglasses. You'd regret driving all day, or going out on a boat, or skiing without sunglasses. There are a lot of things that aren't very damaging as a single event but the damage accumulates. One break is not going to hurt a lot unless you are leaning over the rack but several hours in a pool hall, several nights a week, for several years is going to leave a mark.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
the damage accumulates. One break is not going to hurt a lot unless you are leaning over the rack but several hours in a pool hall, several nights a week, for several years is going to leave a mark.
Really now... REALLY?!? The decibel level of a break shot over time will cause hearing damage? I set an alarm clock every morning that is a lot louder than a break shot. Perhaps I should reconsider.

tomatoshooter

Really now... REALLY?!? The decibel level of a break shot over time will cause hearing damage? I set an alarm clock every morning that is a lot louder than a break shot. Perhaps I should reconsider.
Either you need an alarm clock that loud because you never wore earplugs or you need to work on your break. I didn't realize it at first because the sound is so brief, but, especially in a small room, a break shot is LOUD!