Aiming Based On CB Deflection

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried and experimented with all of the so called aiming systems and decided to aim based on the deflection, or lack thereof, of the cue ball off the object ball.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I tried and experimented with all of the so called aiming systems and decided to aim based on the deflection, or lack thereof, of the cue ball off the object ball.
Do you mean the carom angle (the direction the CB goes after contact with the OB)? How do you know what it will be before shooting?

pj
chgo

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean the carom angle (the direction the CB goes after contact with the OB)? How do you know what it is before shooting?

pj
chgo
I’ve been playing for 60 years and started thinking what if I base my hit on the OB based upon deflection rather than trying to send the OB to the pocket based upon a finite aiming point on the OB. I find that trying to hit a specific point on the object ball is more difficult for me than trying to just cover the OB with the CB and determining the direction the CB will be traveling after the collision. Subconsciously I know where the pocket is in relation to the OB and I’ve become less pocket oriented. More collision oriented. May not be the best explanation.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Do you mean the carom angle (the direction the CB goes after contact with the OB)?
I’ve been playing for 60 years and started thinking what if I base my hit on the OB based upon deflection rather than trying to send the OB to the pocket based upon a finite aiming point on the OB. I find that trying to hit a specific point on the object ball is more difficult for me than trying to just cover the OB with the CB and determining the direction the CB will be traveling after the collision. Subconsciously I know where the pocket is in relation to the OB and I’ve become less pocket oriented. More collision oriented. May not be the best explanation.
I get you - it's been mentioned here before. An interesting way to "see" the shot - with its intuitive nature it seems like it could also be a useful "crosscheck" with other methods.

pj
chgo

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Be very careful, on those tough cuts this works but you better make your cue sing. Requires a stroke but it's a fun type of aiming. These shots are the most difficult to master when switching to a LD shaft. I used to thrive on them when using maple, now I'm onto a LD keilwood shaft and they take a great hit. If on your old cue you had 1/2" deflection and now your LD shaft deflects 1/8", you've effectively cut your "fudge room" down by a factor of 4. It's not a bad thing, but will force you to really hone in on them. I'm starting to love these shots again, but it took a while to get onto them again.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Be very careful, on those tough cuts this works but you better make your cue sing. Requires a stroke but it's a fun type of aiming.
Huh?
These shots are the most difficult to master when switching to a LD shaft. I used to thrive on them when using maple, now I'm onto a LD keilwood shaft and they take a great hit. If on your old cue you had 1/2" deflection and now your LD shaft deflects 1/8", you've effectively cut your "fudge room" down by a factor of 4
Huh?

pj
chgo

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be very careful, on those tough cuts this works but you better make your cue sing. Requires a stroke but it's a fun type of aiming. These shots are the most difficult to master when switching to a LD shaft. I used to thrive on them when using maple, now I'm onto a LD keilwood shaft and they take a great hit. If on your old cue you had 1/2" deflection and now your LD shaft deflects 1/8", you've effectively cut your "fudge room" down by a factor of 4. It's not a bad thing, but will force you to really hone in on them. I'm starting to love these shots again, but it took a while to get onto them again.
I’m not sold on LD shafts or any of the new and improved traditional shafts. (Yes, I have a LD shaft in my case.) Not that I’m debasing their integrity, it’s just I’m a 75 year old who thinks he can take a house cue and shoot straight. I’ve just learned to adjust. I’ve got a case full of two piece cues I’ve accumulated over the years and feel guilty about not putting them to good use but you can only use one at a time. I don’t have a break cue. Just use my shooting cue. I think the sport has lost something to research and technology.

Let me make one more comment about jump cues. NO. Jumping balls was never intended to be a part of pool and billiards. The only time a pool ball should be airborne is when all hell breaks out in a pool hall or bar.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I’m not sold on LD shafts or any of the new and improved traditional shafts. (Yes, I have a LD shaft in my case.) Not that I’m debasing their integrity, it’s just I’m a 75 year old who thinks he can take a house cue and shoot straight. I’ve just learned to adjust. I’ve got a case full of two piece cues I’ve accumulated over the years and feel guilty about not putting them to good use but you can only use one at a time. I don’t have a break cue. Just use my shooting cue. I think the sport has lost something to research and technology.
I understand what you mean. I played with a rock hard maple mcdermott for 25 years or so. I'm really enjoying the kielwood but it did have a bit of a learning curve. I can pick up any cue and shoot sufficiently with it, but when you do those oddball shots (you know the ones you should never do but they are too fun to pass up) that's where I find you have to get used to LD a bit. For normal type shots there isn't much adjustment, but when you're trying to throw the CB to the edge of an OB and have it just loaded with spin, that takes practice to get tuned into an LD shaft.

In all honesty I don't think LD is necessarily an advantage. It might require less adjustment for throw, but it does require some. Either way I won't be featured on the TV table anytime soon. I really like the kielwood paired with a hard tip mainly because of the sound. It's got a musical quality to it. I enjoy the sounds of the game and the sound of a well stroked/played shot and find the kielwood to have a nice tone.

I've shot about 10 shots with a CF shaft at a state ACS tourney where an older gentleman showed me a way he figured out an aiming method on 1 rail banks. He let me use his cue since mine was across the room. It was a nice cue but the feel and sound didn't do much for me. It was accurate but it just felt too sterile for me, for a lack of a better description. If you enjoy your cue (or any cue) that's all that really matters.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It's legit.
You're aiming based on the two balls' collision aka carom. Same way you play position

Dodger

I once read to focus on the cue point on the CB to position it for the next shot, aimed at a contact point on the OB, not on the aim point on the OB to pocket it. I'm not sure what that means would love to find an more in-depth article explaining it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I once read to focus on the cue point on the CB to position it for the next shot, aimed at a contact point on the OB, not on the aim point on the OB to pocket it. I'm not sure what that means would love to find an more in-depth article explaining it.

I believe pocketing the ball is the primary goal, which means the primary focus should be on the aim line or aim point needed to pocket the ball.

Playing position on the next shot is a by-product of pocketing the ob on the current shot. And keeping the cb on the correct side of the shot line, but also having a good feel for speed, makes position play a relatively simple task that doesn't require much focus.

Sometimes the aim line or aim point needs to be adjusted to account for cb spin, but even then the primary focus should be on pocketing the ball, not on where the cb is going to go after it strikes the ob. A lot of simple shots are missed when players focus on position play rather than on pocketing the ob.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe pocketing the ball is the primary goal, which means the primary focus should be on the aim line or aim point needed to pocket the ball.

Playing position on the next shot is a by-product of pocketing the ob on the current shot. And keeping the cb on the correct side of the shot line, but also having a good feel for speed, makes position play a relatively simple task that doesn't require much focus.

Sometimes the aim line or aim point needs to be adjusted to account for cb spin, but even then the primary focus should be on pocketing the ball, not on where the cb is going to go after it strikes the ob. A lot of simple shots are missed when players focus on position play rather than on pocketing the ob.
Been playing a lot of 10b lately. (GREAT game btw. FAR better than 9b) Really easy to get too far ahead and then miss a routine shot.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been playing a lot of 10b lately. (GREAT game btw. FAR better than 9b) Really easy to get too far ahead and then miss a routine shot.

I agree.... 10b eliminates the lucky slop factor. And yes, getting too far ahead mentally can easily cause a lack of focus on what's in front of you right now.

I think, speaking for myself anyway, the 3 main reasons or causes of missed shots are as follows:

1: Too much attention/focus on position play rather than pocketing the ball. Spending too much time thinking about the future (or the past) is a good way to screw up the present.

2: Rushing the shot, taking it for granted because it looks and feels routine, like walking down a sidewalk you've been down a thousand times, but your focus isn't on the sidewalk, and you trip on a crack that's been there longer than you've been alive.

3: Aiming error. Looks and feels like we're dead on line to pocket the ball with just the right amount of spin and speed, but in fact we're off a millimeter or two and just don't realize it. And that's all it takes sometimes, 1 or 2 millimeters off and we find ourselves back in our chair watching out opponent play.

Reactions: bbb

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.... 10b eliminates the lucky slop factor. And yes, getting too far ahead mentally can easily cause a lack of focus on what's in front of you right now.

I think, speaking for myself anyway, the 3 main reasons or causes of missed shots are as follows:

1: Too much attention/focus on position play rather than pocketing the ball. Spending too much time thinking about the future (or the past) is a good way to screw up the present.

2: Rushing the shot, taking it for granted because it looks and feels routine, like walking down a sidewalk you've been down a thousand times, but your focus isn't on the sidewalk, and you trip on a crack that's been there longer than you've been alive.

3: Aiming error. Looks and feels like we're dead on line to pocket the ball with just the right amount of spin and speed, but in fact we're off a millimeter or two and just don't realize it. And that's all it takes sometimes, 1 or 2 millimeters off and we find ourselves back in our chair watching out opponent play.
I was taught to think two balls ahead of the shot in front of you And that is basically my strategy. I don’t consider the game ball unless there is an opportunity to make it out of order. I practice with three balls on the table randomly placed.

dendweller

I think the sport has lost something to research and technology
I don’t have a break cue.
Jumping balls was never intended to be a part of pool and billiards.
Not the 3 most popular opinions around here but I agree with all of them. Neve been a fan of phenolic or similar tips either. Course I'm 65 so I'm not far behind you.
One cue for all shots would be a nice tournament format far as I'm concerned.