Jayson Shaw in the Hunt for Another 14.1 Record

dquarasr

Registered
Brilliant post.

Hu is a brilliant writer. I admire his writing skills. He just has the correct most effective words. Expertly put together to paint pictures with language. I can do that speaking, not writing.

Great stuff gents🙏🏼
@arnaldo’s response was exceptionally crafted as well.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@arnaldo’s response was exceptionally crafted as well.
Yes it sure was, I meant to mention that as well.

These guys were educated when we had proper education in America and it shows. I wasn’t and sadly that shows as well.

It’s not a coincidence.

Best
Fatboy 😃

dquarasr

Registered
Yes it sure was, I meant to mention that as well.

These guys were educated when we had proper education in America and it shows. I wasn’t and sadly that shows as well.

It’s not a coincidence.

Best
Fatboy 😃
Don’t sell yourself short, Fatboy. Elegance and eloquence can be achieved with direct, well-chosen 10-cent words when it is tempting to employ 35-cent words.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t sell yourself short, Fatboy. Elegance and eloquence can be achieved with direct, well-chosen 10-cent words when it is tempting to employ 35-cent words.
I do my best.

Speaking for myself if I don’t choose words that I don’t have the full scope of their definition in my brain.

Big or fancy words to try and sound smarter is mistake many people make only to make them selves look dumb at the end of the day.

In my experience in speaking, sales or persuasion being my motive, the timing of words and voice inflection are more powerful than the words I choose to use.

Writing is much more complex as I don’t have voice inflection to place emphasis on certain ideas I want to convey so the substation of better words is of more importance in the written language than spoken language.

“Words have no meaning, people have meaning and words are just a tool to convey their meaning.” I had a philosophy class my first semester of college and that was ¼ or ⅓ of the semester-breaking that down to its bare components and having a full understanding of that concept. It was only a 2 day/week class. Took me a long time to really deeply understand that words don’t have meaning & people do. Best thing I ever learned in school by a mile. That took me farther than anything else I ever learned in school

Best
Fatboy <———-was expelled from college after 3 years because of poor grades. 2nd biggest favor college did for me.

PS: I haven’t had my coffee yet this morning and I’m going a bit deep here. Often I wish I didn’t have the ability to think like this. Being simple has its benefits…..

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So just to put a bow on this last effort by Jayson:

Congrats Jayson Shaw for his amazing run of 508 balls. We have reviewed the video and the ball count is correct, with no fouls. The table was a Brunswick Gold Crown 4, with no modifications. Jayson was playing with a Peri pool cue, a Kamui glove, Kamui chalk, and a Kamui black medium tip (he changed shafts from the Kamui brown tip). The table had 760 Tournament Green Simonis on it and Aramith Tournament Series Duramith balls were used. We'd like to point out that no ball was removed once the run started to be cleaned, polished, or replaced, and the table was never cleaned. There were no heaters in use under the table.

As we interpret the new BCA rules for exhibition high run attempts, Jayson's attempts were in total compliance -- so congratulations to Jayson Shaw for his amazing run of 508 balls. This 508 and Jayson's previous 714 are the 2 highest legitimate runs on video that are available for public viewing and close review. We expect Jayson will be back at the end of the year to continue his quest to run 1000 balls.

For a bit of historical perspective: Jayson's high run before coming to Street Lights Billiards Academy, as part of The Legends Of Pocket Billiards High Run Challenge, was 268. In just 9 days and with just over 200 attempts his high runs were:

714, 508, 407, 397,380, 365, 356, 344, 322, 308, and 302 -- IOW's, he broke the 300 mark 1 out of every 20 attempts. Thanks all who watched our stream and rooted Jayson on.

An additional thanks to our participating sponsors:

Street Lights Billiards Academy, Deon W. Chapman
Iwan Simonis Billiards, Ivan Lee
Aramith - Billiard Balls
AM CUES, Anthony Milanesi
Griff's Bar & Billiards, Mark Griffin
Seybert's Billiard Supply
OmegaBilliards.com
Bull Carbon
Predator Carom, Ira Lee
Shuriken cues
Baltimore City Cues
Tascarella Custom Cues, Theresa Tascarella
AZBtv, UpState AL
American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship, Peter Burrows
Nick Varner Cues & Cases, Nick Varner
Taom Billiards
American Billiard Covering, Matt Suite
Roy's Basement Ariel, Roy Francisco
Inthbx Sprts, Elvis Rodriguez
Outsville Pool and Billiards, Chris Renfro
Jacoby Custom Cues, Brandon Jacoby
United States Billiard Academy, Christopher Lee Wilburn and Scott R Wilburn
CaromSports

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hate to be the one throwing poop and an honest 508 is very impressive. However, the 714 doesn't exist, neither does the 669 as you tacitly admit leaving it out of the stats.

Video clearly shows the ball under the cue shaft rolling back and forth with only it and the shaft moving. Any certifying body that knew shit from Shinola would say the 714 they were asked to certify ended right there, no need to watch further.

The "cue ball fouls only" or "all fouls" debate is a big red herring. The shaft moving a ball would be a foul under either set of rules. It was an incidental foul that didn't benefit Jayson in any way. However, there is no question that he would have ended the run at 44 and started over had he noticed the foul. By continuing the count he invalidated the run. I wish that whoever was keeping count had said one instead of forty-five or to be more accurate they had caught the foul instead of counting off another rack. Jayson could have had a clean run of 669, he certainly has the potential to run 714 or more. He hasn't done it yet!

Despite them being a pee-poor excuse of a certifying organization, the BCA's certification of schmidt's run leaves him the record holder of note, or your group can claim the clearly bogus 669 the BCA said happened. Perhaps I haven't noticed, has the BCA offered Jayson any honors for his "record"?

Despite pouring cold water on things in this post I am very hopeful that Jayson will rip the record wide open with a run of eight hundred or more with no controversy. He certainly has the potential.

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to be the one throwing poop and an honest 508 is very impressive. However, the 714 doesn't exist, neither does the 669 as you tacitly admit leaving it out of the stats.

Video clearly shows the ball under the cue shaft rolling back and forth with only it and the shaft moving. Any certifying body that knew shit from Shinola would say the 714 they were asked to certify ended right there, no need to watch further.

The "cue ball fouls only" or "all fouls" debate is a big red herring. The shaft moving a ball would be a foul under either set of rules. It was an incidental foul that didn't benefit Jayson in any way. However, there is no question that he would have ended the run at 44 and started over had he noticed the foul. By continuing the count he invalidated the run. I wish that whoever was keeping count had said one instead of forty-five or to be more accurate they had caught the foul instead of counting off another rack. Jayson could have had a clean run of 669, he certainly has the potential to run 714 or more. He hasn't done it yet!

Despite them being a pee-poor excuse of a certifying organization, the BCA's certification of schmidt's run leaves him the record holder of note, or your group can claim the clearly bogus 669 the BCA said happened. Perhaps I haven't noticed, has the BCA offered Jayson any honors for his "record"?

Despite pouring cold water on things in this post I am very hopeful that Jayson will rip the record wide open with a run of eight hundred or more with no controversy. He certainly has the potential.

Hu

That’s fine, Hu, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Same folks that certified John’s run (the BCA) certified Jayson’s. So yes, he has “honors.”

Lou Figueroa
and the record

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The shaft moving a ball would be a foul under either set of rules. ...
Here is what the WPA says about playing under cue-ball-fouls-only rules. How does Jayson's moving a ball with his stick violate that? I acknowledge that there was no replacement of the moved ball, because no one knew it had been touched (and, anyway, it might have been right where it started if it just rocked slightly back and forth).

21. CUE BALL FOULS ONLY​

If there is no referee presiding over a match, it may be played using cue ball fouls only. That is, touching or moving any ball other than the cue ball would not be a foul unless it changes the outcome of the shot by either touching another ball or having any ball, including the cue ball, going through the area originally occupied by the moved ball. If this does not happen, then the opposing player must be given the option of either leaving the ball where it lies or replacing the ball as near as possible to its original position to the agreement of both players. If a player shoots without giving his opponent the option to replace, it will be a foul resulting in cue ball in hand for the opponent.​

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is what the WPA says about playing under cue-ball-fouls-only rules. How does Jayson's moving a ball with his stick violate that? I acknowledge that there was no replacement of the moved ball, because no one knew it had been touched (and, anyway, it might have been right where it started if it just rocked slightly back and forth).

21. CUE BALL FOULS ONLY​

If there is no referee presiding over a match, it may be played using cue ball fouls only. That is, touching or moving any ball other than the cue ball would not be a foul unless it changes the outcome of the shot by either touching another ball or having any ball, including the cue ball, going through the area originally occupied by the moved ball. If this does not happen, then the opposing player must be given the option of either leaving the ball where it lies or replacing the ball as near as possible to its original position to the agreement of both players. If a player shoots without giving his opponent the option to replace, it will be a foul resulting in cue ball in hand for the opponent.​
There is no opponent. There was a referee. Regulation 21 -- it is not a rule -- does not apply.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no opponent. There was a referee. Regulation 21 -- it is not a rule -- does not apply.
Right. But if you are trying to define what cue ball fouls only means (even in the context of an exhibition run), what is a better place to look currently?

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
What says that the 669 balls he ran (after the incidental contact with the 9 ball) is negated?

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
What says that the 669 balls he ran (after the incidental contact with the 9 ball) is negated?

What says the balls ran after a miss don't count if you just keep running the number up? I have ran over a thousand balls many days, if you don't count the misses! You foul, the run is over. Had they restarted the count at the foul and asked the BCA to certify a 669 they could have. The BCA was asked to certify a 714. A 714 didn't happen, a 44 did. The BCA could have certified the 44, of course that wouldn't have been very exciting!

I wish that Jayson had ran 669 balls before fouling and the run ending. instead of the run ending at 44 balls. that isn't what happened. What would have happened had the run been in a major tournament? Would any referee have said ignore the foul and keep shooting?

Right. But if you are trying to define what cue ball fouls only means (even in the context of an exhibition run), what is a better place to look currently?

So, you are saying if you and I are playing cue ball fouls only I can move a ball out of the way of the shaft with the shaft and it is OK, cue ball fouls only right? Regulation 21 doesn't apply to shafts.

That is the issue, fouls are absolutes, there are no big fouls and little fouls. It is either a foul or it isn't. A few times over the years people have tried to claim cue ball fouls only crap when we were playing and ignoring the other rules of the game. When their turn is over I got up, raked everything but the money ball, shot it in and told them to pay me, cue ball fouls only! When they cooled off we reracked and gave things another try.

If the object ball had not been in the path of the cue shaft it would not have moved. Can we or can we not adjust the balls on the table with the cue shaft?

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
A side note, I got distracted watching Bob beat Shane in a tournament match to 125 in 2016.

Nice shooting Bob!

Hu

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I wish that Jayson had ran 669 balls before fouling and the run ending. instead of the run ending at 44 balls. that isn't what happened. What would have happened had the run been in a major tournament? Would any referee have said ignore the foul and keep shooting?
He still ran 669 consecutive balls after the "foul". It's not a tournament and there's not a referee, so it could easily be argued that the run should count.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What says the balls ran after a miss don't count if you just keep running the number up? I have ran over a thousand balls many days, if you don't count the misses! You foul, the run is over. Had they restarted the count at the foul and asked the BCA to certify a 669 they could have. The BCA was asked to certify a 714. A 714 didn't happen, a 44 did. The BCA could have certified the 44, of course that wouldn't have been very exciting!

So, you are saying if you and I are playing cue ball fouls only I can move a ball out of the way of the shaft with the shaft and it is OK, cue ball fouls only right? Regulation 21 doesn't apply to shafts.

That is the issue, fouls are absolutes, there are no big fouls and little fouls. It is either a foul or it isn't. A few times over the years people have tried to claim cue ball fouls only crap when we were playing and ignoring the other rules of the game. When their turn is over I got up, raked everything but the money ball, shot it in and told them to pay me, cue ball fouls only! When they cooled off we reracked and gave things another try.

If the object ball had not been in the path of the cue shaft it would not have moved. Can we or can we not adjust the balls on the table with the cue shaft?

Hu

It is not a question of ignoring anything -- Jayson has said he wasn't aware of fouling and Bobby didn't see it. And in fact, when the BCA committee reviewed the run on a wide-screen TV, they had to rewind it over half a dozen times to see it.

And your raking scenario is absurd.

Lou Figueroa
good way to get
bopped on the head
in many rooms

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About the same everywhere.

No young guys playing golf at all.

Thanks
I disagree. I’m seeing all kinds of kids picking the game up, including my oldest son who has been playing for about six month now. He’s up to playing at least twice a week and can already out drive me by 50 yards. Thankfully it’s not always straight. I’m trying to get as many rounds in this year as I can before he starts kicking my ass.

stevelomako

President Jefferson Davis library, Beauvoir
Silver Member
I disagree. I’m seeing all kinds of kids picking the game up, including my oldest son who has been playing for about six month now. He’s up to playing at least twice a week and can already out drive me by 50 yards. Thankfully it’s not always straight. I’m trying to get as many rounds in this year as I can before he starts kicking my ass.

Ummm

We are talking about “golf” on a snooker table. 😬