Trans debate arrives into Pro woman’s Billiards

phreaticus

Someone forwarded this to me today. I guess those who normally wrangle over culture war topics in NPR can now go at it full throttle in the main forum…

Given the unusual aspect that men traditionally & mysteriously are generally dominant in our somewhat non physical sport, it does perhaps offer a new lens for the debate. I just skim read, but found some of the perspectives in the article’s comment section to be interesting and fairly civil.

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont get why it matters. Only thing I can think of is the generally average height advantage that men have over women. But we have a lot of pro male players that are short.

I am supporting of having a women's only division to get some equality and female specific recognition (Historically men have played a lot longer so there is generational influence and experience). A men's only division shouldn't even exist, it should just be an open division. Trans male to female should be able to participate in the women's only divisions.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am supporting of having a women's only division to get some equality and female specific recognition

Trans male to female should be able to participate in the women's only divisions.

Then why bother to have a “women only” division?

What criteria defines a “trans female” who is able to compete, from a biological male who is not?

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Women only division a good thing to have to recognize female talent. Women have not had the opportunity for decades to play at high levels and over generations there is a quantifiable skill gap between men and women, on the entire average. Without a female only division, it will take even longer for women to compete at a top levels of men. Top 10 charts would just be stacked with men, so the female only competitions would recognize and celebrate the female talent.

This is similar to the STEM fields and the female/male ratio issue. STEM hasn't been as readily available to women in the past compared to men, so there is an experience gap which ends up leading to a percieved (and perhaps real in many cases) pay gap. Much like billiards, there shouldn't be any reason a female engineer to not perform at a male engineer level but data shows otherwise.

You make a good point on the criteria for defining trans female. That's a puzzler for me, you can certainly be a pre-op, refuse hormonal treatments, and just claim to be trans to compete in a women's division. We haven't seen this type of dishonest behavior in other sports regarding trans but its a weak system of honor. I mean, we have seen teams fake being disabled to participate in the paralympics, so its perhaps just a matter of time. Tough question!

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't really matter. It's not like a one on one direct physical competition against a biological woman where the biological make up of the male will dominate the woman or women. That being said, the top women players will not win against, on any consistent basis the top men players. I personally do not support it (not that it matters what I actually think about it.) If the women do not want it, the only option I see is ALL the women boycotting a tournament. Then the pressure will be placed back on the promoters and tournament host.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
More confusing would have be the bathroom. Another room. Another sign. Special toilets … 1 for those that sit.. those that stand. Oh Lawd.
How about a League of Their Own

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone forwarded this to me today. I guess those who normally wrangle over culture war topics in NPR can now go at it full throttle in the main forum…

Given the unusual aspect that men traditionally & mysteriously are generally dominant in our somewhat non physical sport, it does perhaps offer a new lens for the debate. I just skim read, but found some of the perspectives in the article’s comment section to be interesting and fairly civil.

Old news in Houston. Look up the pool player and cue maker Anne Mayes on this site or the Internet.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Let’s keep in mind here that this players success has less to do with any potential advantages of their birth and much more to do with the state of the womens pro snooker tour. Womens snooker doesn’t have the depth and competitiveness of womens pool. While Reanne Evans and a few others are fine players capable of centuries, if you look at the players sheets many of the competitors have high breaks lower than 40. So this tour isn’t like womens pool where at the global level there are several players at in the high 600s and low-mid 700s (and higher even).

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just start a transgender classification and compete in it. Most probably it will have fewer members to start but that is how all leagues start. Sort of like how Special Olympics started. Let the transgender folks establish their special rules if needed. This is not that complicated and needn't carry a negative stigma. Just have men's, women's, and transgender sections to compete in.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

The difference in why men play better:
1. Numbers, more men play, maybe stigma, maybe something else.
2. Risk taking, really stroking the balls
3. Peeing standing up. Men know how to aim from a young age.

That's about it.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference in why men play better:
1. Numbers, more men play, maybe stigma, maybe something else.
2. Risk taking, really stroking the balls
3. Peeing standing up. Men know how to aim from a young age.

That's about it.
Hand eye coordination is superior in men; pool, shooting, or whatever the activity, it is genetic.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
278004697_1617608778618078_7967226488585013961_n.jpg