Three point break rule.................

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gotta say this is a little bit amusing to me. My gut says play the mutha’ suckin’ game!

I’ve read we need to use a radar gun?!?

Minimum speed 21 mph?!?

A couple guys chime in their max is 18. “Oh yeah, minimum speed should be 18.” Well shoot, what if someone's max is less than that?

Why not just push out after the break if you don’t like what you see? You don’t have to leave a good shot and you will most likely play a great safety if your opponent passes.

Life is tuff, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever. Step up and show out. Don’t whine like someone with granular vaginitis.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not play rotation with the 15-ball the money ball (NOT 15-ball rotation rules, but rather rotation like 10-ball but with all 15 balls). You'd have to shorten the races to allow that the games/matches will be longer.

If this were happening now, we wouldn't need to even have this 3-point rule discussion!
Yeah a full (128 players) field would have to be single elimination, race to one. :D

Couple ideas on rotation: Ball in hand, keep a running tally of the points and every rack goes to the last ball. You could do nine and ten ball like this too. No points, no money ball; last ball on the table is the game ball. You could have sets of grey obstacle balls to fill out the triangle if you wanted.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must say that I’m intrigued please elabborate.

You are playing a game by which the powers that be have decided they must do something about rather constantly:: witness::
a) 1-ball on the spot
b) 9-ball on the spot
c) 3-balls beyond the head-string
d) narrow breaking from the kitchen
e) gradual drift towards 10-ball
f) elimination of Duel's slow break
And this is all in the last decade !

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are playing a game by which the powers that be have decided they must do something about rather constantly:: witness::
a) 1-ball on the spot
b) 9-ball on the spot
c) 3-balls beyond the head-string
d) narrow breaking from the kitchen
e) gradual drift towards 10-ball
f) elimination of Duel's slow break
And this is all in the last decade !
Six years ago today someone asked me "how many different ways to rack 9-ball are currently out there." So I started a thread about that: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/racking-and-breaking-variations-in-9-ball.434435/

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should the Professional level stop playing 9-ball? Should 10-ball now be the norm? Many people seem to want to make 9-ball a harder game and it appears to revolve around the break. If so, why not let people break soft break, cut break or hard break. The game would definitely be harder. Of course several balls have to hit a rail like the old rules (Texas express?). The 3 balls pass the head string just punishes players and has cost many matches and possibly some championships for some. The Break is the lucky shot of the game. Yes, if the table is breaking a certain way ie wing ball in the corner etc., however, the clashing of balls and the cue ball randomly bouncing around is pot luck to get a shot on the lowest numbered ball.

Where does this end? What is the result promoters, sponsors, players and fans looking for? I vote for Green Felt (just throwing that out there). Slower cloth? Thanks for reading my 2 cents.

Guy Manges

Registered
We’re really leaning into this tangent. 😅

All games have legal break criteria. Both 9-ball and 8-ball require four balls to be driven to a rail if an object ball isn’t pocketed.

The “3-point rule” only pertains to 9-ball and is distinct from and supplementary to any requirments for balls to be driven to a rail.

The “ 3-point rule” was established originally to prohibit the Corey Deuel style of soft break that became prevalent 20 years ago with the Sardo rack. It stayed relevant with the template racks. But time has marched on, players adapted and evolved, and the 2022 version of the sissy soft break has evolved too as a cut break. And that’s not really all that new. But it is that evolution of the softest break allowed that still controls the layout of the table in a predictable, repeatable spread for an easy runout.
3 across-- 1 for each made... Guy

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the result promoters, sponsors, players and fans looking for?

A game where the rules change as slowly as in major league baseball from 1920 through 1970.

The fact that the powers that be are experimenting with the rules, show how broken the current situation is.
What are they trying to fix ? Better players winning ???

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like listening to music with a lot of evolving detail and maybe tournament sessions should have progressive conditions too. The breaker for instance would have to change spots on every break. Changes in speed and/or hit would be a built in requirement.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All who thinks soft break is good for pool WTF?
Who the Fk will watch exact same drill over and over again...
Well, let us see::
a) 14.1 players
b) 1-pocket players
c) bar players
Where c probably represents 85% of all playing.