Three point break rule.................

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPDATE: it SUCKS. That concludes today's PSA. ;) I'm not playing any game where if i make a ball i may not get to shoot. Watching the AO and this rule is a joke imo.

with 9 on the spot and magic rack it would be even worse without it. they're already softbreaking

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
UPDATE: it SUCKS. That concludes today's PSA. ;) I'm not playing any game where if i make a ball i may not get to shoot. Watching the AO and this rule is a joke imo.
Never liked it from the get-go. It would never have been implemented if Corey D. wasn't such a genius! Some guy works his a** off, invents a better mousetrap and gets penalized for it.
You make a ball on the break...you keep shooting. That's the way it was for YEARS.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never liked it from the get-go. It would never have been implemented if Corey D. wasn't such a genius! Some guy works his a** off, invents a better mousetrap and gets penalized for it.
You make a ball on the break...you keep shooting. That's the way it was for YEARS.
The problem is not in the quality of the current mousetraps,
The problem is inherent in the game (of 9-ball)

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with 9 on the spot and magic rack it would be even worse without it. they're already softbreaking
If they want to do away with the soft break in tournaments, just set a minimum break speed and enforce it strictly. The three point rule is a joke.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they want to do away with the soft break in tournaments, just set a minimum break speed and enforce it strictly. The three point rule is a joke.
What speed would you say should be a minimum? Not everyone will be able to agree with whatever number you choose.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What speed would you say should be a minimum?
Minimum speed should be such that at least 1-ball hits a rail after contact (including the CB); so probably 4-5 inches per second.
{even a 6-year old can manage that}

As to wanting to do away with soft breaks--those should be part of the game !!
{Same rules as every other shot:: after contact at least 1 ball hits a rail or drops}
A soft break is nothing different than a lock-up-safety.

As for where one can break:: anywhere in the kitchen.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the old 9 ball tourn's were 2 shot foul and then switched to 1 shot, some say it was because of TV showing the games. I always heard it was too reel in Luther Lassiter because no one could beat him at it. Would be interesting to hear what game rules were used when Keith Thompson won the
event i Johnson City. They make new rules all the time and they sometimes don't improve the outcome of what they were trying to perfect.
Hmmm new laws do the same thing don't they.

Last edited:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am a straight pool player but watch alot of 9 ball. Its almost as ridiculous as
having replay reviews in MLB and NFL. They try to shorten the games and
then spend 5 minutes looking at the play and 1/2 the time still make the wrong call.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Minimum speed should be such that at least 1-ball hits a rail after contact (including the CB); so probably 4-5 inches per second.
{even a 6-year old can manage that}

As to wanting to do away with soft breaks--those should be part of the game !!
{Same rules as every other shot:: after contact at least 1 ball hits a rail or drops}
A soft break is nothing different than a lock-up-safety.

As for where one can break:: anywhere in the kitchen.
That would be a 14.1 break. Even Corey's soft break had 4 balls hitting a rail, as well as making a ball. And look at all the whining that went on by all the losers that got beat by him.

L.S. Dennis

It seems to me the easiest way to solve this problem is to simply use a speed gun on the break, they used them all the time in baseball on the pitcher’s speed on their pitches.

I’ve read somewhere hard breakers like a Tony Ellen would have a break speed of something like 30 MPG! Now not everyone could reasonably expected to break like Tony did so maybe they could come with something between Cory and Tony’s would be appropriate maybe 21 MPG or something like that. This would also elimate the need for any 3 point rule because even with a loose rack the speed gun would qualify the speed of the break regardless of the results of a loose or tight rack.

Makes sense to me,,,

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a fan of any break style where you can strive for a specific layout of balls on the table and repeatedly achieve that basic layout. Especially that cut break with the 1 going two rails gently in front of the corner pocket and the cueball bouncing 1 or 2 rails gently lined up for it.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a speed gun could be tried but I wouldn’t be surprised if players could turn that into a trick shot for a Cosmo layout too if they are still able to control the 1B and CB.

That’s what I like about the Matchroom rules, you’re trying to make the 1 so you can’t guarantee what you’re looking at for the next lowest ball.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
It's those damn template racks that are ruining the game.
This rule wouldn't exist with the use of standard triangle racks--- good luck winning many matches soft-breaking when they're used.
Template racks make pool too easy. I miss the days of clusters, random spreads, and tuff runouts.........
Template rack pool is boring af to watch.

tomatoshooter

I have the break speed app on my phone and my break is in the 16 mph range. My best is 18. With good contact, 16 mph is enough to move balls pretty well. I believe most of the pros are in the low 20 mph range. I'm sure they could break a bit faster but they get the results they need. I'm amazed at how little body movement they need to develop that speed, I have to get my whole body involved to get into the range I'm at now. I say let them break how they want or make a break box. No speed gun, no 3 point rule.

tomatoshooter

It's those damn template racks that are ruining the game.
This rule wouldn't exist with the use of standard triangle racks--- good luck winning many matches soft-breaking when they're used.
Template racks make pool too easy. I miss the days of clusters, random spreads, and tuff runouts.........
Template rack pool is boring af to watch.
If the cloth is in decent shape, the table should be able to hold a decent rack, and the templates aren't any quicker to rack with either.