Southwest cues - reasons for their popularity

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Southwest is unique with long waiting list. Al present people who got on list in 2006 are in build process. Late 2006 is waiting game.

Demand is high some some buy and flip like dealer do.

Even Meroe widow is pricy.

But production is not up with demand, so prices for resale is high.

71dewajack

Southwest is unique with long waiting list. Al present people who got on list in 2006 are in build process. Late 2006 is waiting game.

Demand is high some some buy and flip like dealer do.

Even Meroe widow is pricy.

But production is not up with demand, so prices for resale is high.
Aren't you about due for your SW?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Sorry of like running state race cross country I see finish line, but race is not over until point added up, and trophies are passed out.

Cris00009

I moved to Las Vegas in 1991 with a schon metal joint cue. I met a guy in the poolroom and became friends with him, He had a beautiful old cocobolo southwest made by jerry. It was a self shooter. Loved the way it hit. In 1993 or 1994 jerry made a batch of satin plain cues and that same guy got 1 for me. I paid $350 . I still have it today and it still hits amazing!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I moved to Las Vegas in 1991 with a schon metal joint cue. I met a guy in the poolroom and became friends with him, He had a beautiful old cocobolo southwest made by jerry. It was a self shooter. Loved the way it hit. In 1993 or 1994 jerry made a batch of satin plain cues and that same guy got 1 for me. I paid $350 . I still have it today and it still hits amazing!

Bet someone would buy it for big bucks.

2rgrbn

"Sua Sponte"
Silver Member
I played with a Southwest for over 20 years as a mid level road player primarily in bars I had an extremely hard break. In those 20+ years and thousands of games and breaks the cue was never refinished, it went thru some fights and all the abuse a cue may see and still straight, sound and hit the same as the day I recieved it. Southwest Cues are made for players and they play great. They are very tough well made workhorses.

2rgrbn

"Sua Sponte"
Silver Member
The wait list at South West is legitimate, not bs, in fact it's longer than 10-years.
Laurie Franklin can only produce so many cues, and her key people are getting old
with physical problems not allowing them to work.
The company is small, they work out of a house and it's amazing the produce as many cues as they do.

I can't find anything wrong with South West, they play good, well balanced cues, and
one of the only cues I don't lose money on when I sell.
Looking at the cues you have listed I think, I need to buy cues from you if your losing money on them. Thats an impressive list.
Many cue makers are known for various things, Petersen Cues (points even), Nitti Inlay quality, and there are some tricks like, white inlays put them in black wood which helps hide glue lines, different woods and the makers knowledge of how they react when combined, after all the actual goal of a 2 piece cue initially was to create a stick that could break down for convenience and would play like a 1 piece cue when it was together. Jerry and his Legasy use a 3/8 - 11 pin that has a very defined flat in between each thread, I ask him why once he responded with it provides more surface area for the transference of "feel" and more closely resembles the play of a 1 peice cue, most makers use maple under the wrap it's a good wood, cost effective etc. Eric Neimera (Sierra Cues, Mesa Az) made cues that were purple heart or paduk or pink ivory there was a noticeable difference in the hit of the cues. I watched a guy beat a Southwest and a Josswest into pieces because " no one was going to loose money due to the second rate cues, I didnt think he was going to get them broke it took 50-60 baseball swings on that bollard before he broke much. DPK, Mike Bender, Southwest all considered some of the best cue craftsman ever, all build quite similiar cues from working together all also fetch pretty good scratch t00. Tad Kohara builds cues that aren't my personal style but the craftsmanship and ornateness of them is amazing, in watches if money is no object Patek Phillippe is wow, a rolex is a nice watch, Omega nice, Brietling Nice, me personally I work on many things and weld a lot so my choice for a 5-10K watch is a tag very tough still in the league with the oters for cost and craftsmanship just with different practicalities. Southwest cues, know how to age wood before use in cues, there finish is very tough. Maybe its a combination of many things that make SW spendy and with a long waiting. SW are similiar to Emerson Knives, very studied and built with much knowledge and effort to provide a quality product, both tough and made for the business, there are "SW Fancy" Cues to the best of my knowledge Jerrys Brother made and did most everything in regards to the fancys. I got carried away here but SW have just about every quality, craftsmanship, location, experience, durability, they are a cue for players and are very tough

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at the cues you have listed I think, I need to buy cues from you if your losing money on them. Thats an impressive list.
Many cue makers are known for various things, Petersen Cues (points even), Nitti Inlay quality, and there are some tricks like, white inlays put them in black wood which helps hide glue lines, different woods and the makers knowledge of how they react when combined, after all the actual goal of a 2 piece cue initially was to create a stick that could break down for convenience and would play like a 1 piece cue when it was together. Jerry and his Legasy use a 3/8 - 11 pin that has a very defined flat in between each thread, I ask him why once he responded with it provides more surface area for the transference of "feel" and more closely resembles the play of a 1 peice cue, most makers use maple under the wrap it's a good wood, cost effective etc. Eric Neimera (Sierra Cues, Mesa Az) made cues that were purple heart or paduk or pink ivory there was a noticeable difference in the hit of the cues. I watched a guy beat a Southwest and a Josswest into pieces because " no one was going to loose money due to the second rate cues, I didnt think he was going to get them broke it took 50-60 baseball swings on that bollard before he broke much. DPK, Mike Bender, Southwest all considered some of the best cue craftsman ever, all build quite similiar cues from working together all also fetch pretty good scratch t00. Tad Kohara builds cues that aren't my personal style but the craftsmanship and ornateness of them is amazing, in watches if money is no object Patek Phillippe is wow, a rolex is a nice watch, Omega nice, Brietling Nice, me personally I work on many things and weld a lot so my choice for a 5-10K watch is a tag very tough still in the league with the oters for cost and craftsmanship just with different practicalities. Southwest cues, know how to age wood before use in cues, there finish is very tough. Maybe its a combination of many things that make SW spendy and with a long waiting. SW are similiar to Emerson Knives, very studied and built with much knowledge and effort to provide a quality product, both tough and made for the business, there are "SW Fancy" Cues to the best of my knowledge Jerrys Brother made and did most everything in regards to the fancys. I got carried away here but SW have just about every quality, craftsmanship, location, experience, durability, they are a cue for players and are very tough
used a bunch of words to basically arrive at no point.

2rgrbn

"Sua Sponte"
Silver Member
used a bunch of words to basically arrive at no point.
The point that I intended is there are many things that make a SW what it is, their value is based on those things, and one persons criteria for value may be different than anothers. Generally speaking SW came up with a product that met most peoples criteria for value and thats why the price.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The point that I intended is there are many things that make a SW what it is, their value is based on those things, and one persons criteria for value may be different than anothers. Generally speaking SW came up with a product that met most peoples criteria for value and thats why the price.

Supply & Demand, and maybe they, the Southwest of today are still Clones of Jerry Franklin’s Cues.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If they were real cuemakers they wouldn't need to hide glue lines.

2rgrbn

"Sua Sponte"
Silver Member
Thats odd that you would say that about one of the most sought after and respected cues in the world, I think they are real cue makers, tell me who do you know that puts white inlay into maple or similiar on a regular basis. it's done I'm sure but much more common is white in black or vice versus, why is that? To say that that the people at SW Cues arent real cue makers is a joke, they are some of the very best in the world by anyones standards.

Why do people try and pick things apart to critisize and belittle other people does it build them up to where they can feel good about themselves or does it simply show that they are narrow minded and somehow need to put others down to validate themselves.

Are you a cuemaker do you have enough knowledge of cue making to even evaluate who is a real cue maker. out of curiosity how many cues have you made since you offer that real cuemakers don't need to hide glue lines. What line of cues are you famous for.