Southwest cues - reasons for their popularity

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of both. I mean, I heard you have to wait like 10 years. Which I only know by hearsay. And I have always been interested in what's supposed to be the Holy Grail.
It would be cool if I could have my own version built in my lifetime :p.
So any info is appreciated.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Southwest popularity

playability and resale, or it could be said that it's resale and playability

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My Schmelke took 4 weeks to make.
It felt like 12 years.
Maybe Jack Potter made my cue?

Believe you said you like your Cue, that says happy customer.:smile:

I have been on Southwest List over 10 years, I am sure the prices will not be like when I got on list.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
they wanted to interview south west cues. but was told there was a 10 year wait for an interview.

last time i called and left a message laurie got back with me in half an hour and we shot the bull mostly on the phone for nearly an hour.....tho that is funny
lol

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Hi together, I'm wondering why southwest cues are such exspensive.

In first instance: It's the market, that's clear.

But besides the market effects, there must be reasons WHY this market situation is so extreme at southwest. So, what is the difference of southwest, is there anything that makes a southwest cue better in playing performance in comparison to other high quality custom cues?

consistency of putting out a quality product + name gained from years of that = price

the buy from SW and buy from the resellers does have a decent uptik in price of course......they were once kinda rare but theres alot of them now for me at least im not investing money to make any on one, if i wanted to play with one is a diff story alltogether. I had a satin i liked quite a bit but i traded it for a harvey martin of similar plane janeness.....plays better just by chance and is rarer as well. only time ive ever traded or sold a cue i've taken real time to aquire.....i dont let them go fwiw.

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
make something scarce and add a big line for years for you to get one you want built and that feeds alot of people to want one . kinda like the big toy at xmas , you cant find it , your kid wants it so you go out and spend 1,000 bucks for a teddy ruxpin ..

im no expert and i dont own one but a buddy does . its hits well and nice , but to me way overpriced .

and that 10 year waiting period is bs . just saying . its just economics .

why would they say it was a long wait when the more they make they could sell ?
its because they got business model , they got a ton of capital . they can inflate wait times because it not hurting the wallet .

now a small start up cue maker cant hedge a bet on saying it takes years. they turn out as many as they can .

and before i get piked ,they are nice ,sweet cues but not what its made out to be .

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
make something scarce and add a big line for years for you to get one you want built and that feeds alot of people to want one . kinda like the big toy at xmas , you cant find it , your kid wants it so you go out and spend 1,000 bucks for a teddy ruxpin ..

im no expert and i dont own one but a buddy does . its hits well and nice , but to me way overpriced .

and that 10 year waiting period is bs . just saying . its just economics .

why would they say it was a long wait when the more they make they could sell ?
its because they got business model , they got a ton of capital . they can inflate wait times because it not hurting the wallet .

now a small start up cue maker cant hedge a bet on saying it takes years. they turn out as many as they can .

and before i get piked ,they are nice ,sweet cues but not what its made out to be .

The wait list at South West is legitimate, not bs, in fact it's longer than 10-years.
Laurie Franklin can only produce so many cues, and her key people are getting old
with physical problems not allowing them to work.
The company is small, they work out of a house and it's amazing the produce as many cues as they do.

I can't find anything wrong with South West, they play good, well balanced cues, and
one of the only cues I don't lose money on when I sell.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The wait list at South West is legitimate, not bs, in fact it's longer than 10-years.
Laurie Franklin can only produce so many cues, and her key people are getting old
with physical problems not allowing them to work.
The company is small, they work out of a house and it's amazing the produce as many cues as they do.

I can't find anything wrong with South West, they play good, well balanced cues, and
one of the only cues I don't lose money on when I sell.

Legendary cues, For Sure
Laurie Franklin does her very best to make all her customers happy too.
The shop also does quite a bit of repair work , jp sets, xtra shafts , etc...
Which also takes a serious amount of time,
Especially with the South West shop's methods and procedures-
Always trying to produce the best possible end results in their work

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legendary cues, For Sure

Laurie Franklin does her very best to make all her customers happy too.

The shop also does quite a bit of repair work , jp sets, xtra shafts , etc...

Which also takes a serious amount of time,

Especially with the South West shop's methods and procedures-

Always trying to produce the best possible end results in their work

Why are they legendary? I just don’t get it. They are certainly not the best looking and certainly not the best playing so I wonder what makes them legendary? Sheep following sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with about 20 different true custom cues. Each one is very good in its own way. I just like cues - period. I am sure that SW is an excellent cue too. It all depends on what plays best for each person- beyond that - what is someone looking for in a cue- design, resale value potential, prestige, etc. etc. If you have unlimited money- you buy whatever you feel like trying. If you just want the best cue for YOU to play your game- then one needs to do all their research and try many different cues, if possible, to find their favorite and just stay with that one.

I have said this before, my $2500 Richard Black is my favorite playing cue- but I have a $25 Imperial cue that I picked out of a batch of 200 of them 20 years ago in one of those pool and spa chain places that I can honestly make NO EXCUSES for if I miss a ball or position- it plays THAT good!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But besides the market effects, there must be reasons WHY this market situation is so extreme at southwest. So, what is the difference of southwest, is there anything that makes a southwest cue better in playing performance in comparison to other high quality custom cues?
Shrewd marketing.

R2PQZ

Years ago an article came out in Billiards Digest about the pros and their cues. Comments were I can draw the cueball 15 percent farther with my SW. Several pros praised them. Prices shot up over night. Then there is the Kersenbrock effect. I believe him and Jerry worked together for a while. In the 80s Bill Webb ordered three SW cues at the same time. $275 each. Received the cues in a few months.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered my first SW on July 1 1986- I remember the exact date because it was my dads birthday and I felt bad I was buying something for myself on his Bday. I went to the shop, knocked on the door met Jerry. Rest is history.

Anyways I paid 350$ for a 60” macasser ebony & tulip wood cue. 2 shafts.

Was delivered in April 87 for $374. FedEx was $24 back then lol.

I still have that cue.

I’ve hit balls with 100-150 SW’s over the years. Lots of people would bring them to the pool room after picking up their new cue and play. Living in vegas being at the pool room all day everyday I saw lots of SW’s. They mostly all played great. A few were a bit stiff.

The supply demand thing is why they cost what they do. I own a bunch, none are for sale. Lots of people I know own them and ain’t selling.

After Jerry passed the production numbers dropped, then the internet came along and that blew up sales. Lots of flippers put their name “on the list” because there is $0 deposit. So it’s a total free roll to make a short score.

Big long list, lower production numbers = higher price on the open market. Simple as that.

Are they worth what they are selling for? Yes because they are selling for what the market is at.

Are they really worth that much if there was a a unlimited supply of them like manufactured cues? No, they aren’t worth $7500. They are great cues but not $7500 great. However since they hold their value it’s a safe place to park some $. Possibly one of the “smartest” cues to buy as a store of value.

So what are they worth not considering the market & reasons for their actual value? This is my opinion only and is purely speculative-in todays world they are worth $3500 in terms of the “cue” only not the “market”.

My 2¢

Fatboy😃

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well it early 2022, the company is work people on their list EARLY 2006, I am October 2007.

They have unique situation, demand v/s supply.🤭