Some days...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve thought about wtf to do with my collection.

I’ve had some cues 35-36 years.

They are dead money, sure I’m in the black if I sold them all. A few I’ll lose a little on, others are 10X what I paid for them.

It’s a full time job to sell off a big collection. Then there’s the question of what to do with the proceeds of the sales.

There’s some pressure to sell as I don’t feel the long term market favors holding them. Younger people just don’t have the interest in cues we did in the 70’s forward. Simply put-the buyers are dying off. Then there’s no market and the values drop.

Best
Fatboy
Do you have any biz sense at all?
(You do, don't you?)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have any biz sense at all?
(You do, don't you?)
Sometimes I get it right. 51% of the time I’d guess, 49% of the time I’m wrong.

So I’m living off the 2% spread.

I paid for the majority of my cues with profits from the watch biz. I sold off a chunk of Pateks & Rolex with huge profit (compared to the margins now-the internet woke up everyone and squeezed the margins).

So my cues are a product of me scuffing around buying in the 980’s & early 90’s super cheap and buying a lot after the watch profits were realized.

In other words my cues are a free roll for me. However it adds up to a meaningful number. Idk how many cues I have or the actual value of the collection. But it’s a big number. Real big.

The idea of just liquidating them and buying another apartment building isn’t much fun, I’m not into cars anymore so that’s out of the window. I don’t need $ for poker as I don’t play poker. Lol.

I love my cues, but I’m pondering moving and moving them again is another job. Right now they are in a climate controlled vault-safe and sound. A pain to get to, but I know they are in a good spot. I suppose they could continue to live there when I move. I’m not moving locally. I’m really making a move.

Best
Fatboy<———2% is all I need😃

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

They are dead money, sure I’m in the black if I sold them all. A few I’ll lose a little on, others are 10X what I paid for them.

It’s a full time job to sell off a big collection. Then there’s the question of what to do with the proceeds of the sales.

There’s some pressure to sell as I don’t feel the long term market favors holding them. Younger people just don’t have the interest in cues we did in the 70’s forward. Simply put-the buyers are dying off. Then there’s no market and the values drop.

Best
Fatboy
May I suggest you pick one of your choosing that you would really like to sell to me, it will be handled delicately as possible and cared for like a favorite child, I favor the look of Titlists if it matters. :):)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I get it right. 51% of the time I’d guess, 49% of the time I’m wrong.

So I’m living off the 2% spread.

I paid for the majority of my cues with profits from the watch biz. I sold off a chunk of Pateks & Rolex with huge profit (compared to the margins now-the internet woke up everyone and squeezed the margins).

So my cues are a product of me scuffing around buying in the 980’s & early 90’s super cheap and buying a lot after the watch profits were realized.

In other words my cues are a free roll for me. However it adds up to a meaningful number. Idk how many cues I have or the actual value of the collection. But it’s a big number. Real big.

The idea of just liquidating them and buying another apartment building isn’t much fun, I’m not into cars anymore so that’s out of the window. I don’t need $ for poker as I don’t play poker. Lol.

I love my cues, but I’m pondering moving and moving them again is another job. Right now they are in a climate controlled vault-safe and sound. A pain to get to, but I know they are in a good spot. I suppose they could continue to live there when I move. I’m not moving locally. I’m really making a move.

Best
Fatboy<———2% is all I need😃
You can come stay with me!!

NevadaP

Best
Fatboy
As a Winchester and Colt collector, I could substitute 'Winchester Rifle' or 'Colt pistol' in your reply and be spot on. I've no interest in selling guns or cues, but will someday need to think about what to leave behind. Relics or cash?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a Winchester and Colt collector, I could substitute 'Winchester Rifle' or 'Colt pistol' in your reply and be spot on. I've no interest in selling guns or cues, but will someday need to think about what to leave behind. Relics or cash?
Great question.

Relics or cash?

I did thin out the gun collection 10 years ago. I sold the expensive stuff. Kept the sentimental stuff. My gun collection is reasonable. My cue collection is embarrassingly large.

When I was young I always had a plan. Now I don’t, and I don’t like that. That big statement but it’s very true. I need to fix that asap

Fatboy

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May I suggest you pick one of your choosing that you would really like to sell to me, it will be handled delicately as possible and cared for like a favorite child, I favor the look of Titlists if it matters. :):)
I only have one titlest conversion. It’s a super old Tad, old as it gets for Tad’s. As much as I love titlest cues, I’m not sure why I only have one.

NevadaP

Great question.

Relics or cash?

I did thin out the gun collection 10 years ago. I sold the expensive stuff. Kept the sentimental stuff. My gun collection is reasonable. My cue collection is embarrassingly large.

When I was young I always had a plan. Now I don’t, and I don’t like that. That big statement but it’s very true. I need to fix that asap

Fatboy
You have a plan. You enjoy having those cues (and the firearms you kept). Your plan is to enjoy life. Those cues and firearms are part of that enjoyment. When that no longer is true, you'll sell them.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a plan. You enjoy having those cues (and the firearms you kept). Your plan is to enjoy life. Those cues and firearms are part of that enjoyment. When that no longer is true, you'll sell them.
You are right about that. 100% correct. Thank you👍

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cues/things we love…. Should keep them until. Once we’re gone it’s for a long time.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had real nice collection many years ago.at one point I had 6 or 7. I have just 3 left.the only ones that mean anything to me. And practically worth very little.
When I brought a new one. Normally would sell one to pay for the other.
My favourite time was the mid 2000s. Not as meny cuemakers, around as today. But az was the place be. But these days, cuetec and predator, is where its at for the young guys!!
I would keep your cues, especially if thay mean something to you!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The people who appreciate custom cues from well respected cue makers are a dying breed
modern players want a cuetc or something similar
the value of most cues are not appreciating significantly
i sold my collection over the past 2-3 years and cashed out
and have no regrets
they just sat in a case
i played with them occasionally but it was dead money sitting there
i kept a few i really like and am very happy with my decision
jmho
All the cues you sold to Mike were picked up from his widow for half the price they were worth by a local guy. Made me sick to hear. I would have paid full price for that Joss West but I didn’t want to bug her. I have the same cue but with a steel joint.

Reactions: bbb

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
but I didn’t want to bug her.
I played with a guy that had a Searing & Coker. When he passed I was going ask his wife if she’d take a nice offer but I couldn’t do it. Also I’m not a Searing cue fan

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All the cues you sold to Mike were picked up from his widow for half the price they were worth by a local guy. Made me sick to hear. I would have paid full price for that Joss West but I didn’t want to bug her. I have the same cue but with a steel joint.
I only sold the joss west to mike to make him happy
he was a good guy who was dealt a terrible hand of cards
i felt for him
R.I.P Michael 🙏🙏😢
i wanted to keep that one
at that time i wasnt in liquidating mode yet

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, all of those awesome Ferraris that cost 5k.

Not to mention all of those babes throwing themselves at five-thousandaires.
my point is i wouldn't get out of the fkng electric chair to spend 5g's on a fkng pool cue. sorry it flew over your head.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really struggling with this right now especially knowing how much they could generate. I have several old R series Schons I really love but the last 2 years I have played with a predator butt and a cuetec shaft and will never go back.

Well I guess my son will have a decent chunk of money when I move on from this world.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
my point is i wouldn't get out of the fkng electric chair to spend 5g's on a fkng pool cue. sorry it flew over your head.
Same.. Would not for 5g’s:
Buy a black car
Pimp myself
Have a sex change
Buy a cue for more than $1000 and that’s stretching it.

If I bought a cue for 5 it better be worth 10. Plus my wife would most likely give it to GoodWill someday