Is it possible to play good pool with a tilted head - eyes not level?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think so, as I’ve never seen any good players do it. I’ve seen a number of good players, including Mosconi, turn their head slightly to where their left eye might be closer to the cue ball than their right eye, but their head always seems to remain straight up and down.

I often see beginner players in here have a terribly tilted head. It would be nice if, in trying to offer them some help, if I could present them with a fact based easily comprehendible reason as to why you shouldn’t play pool with a tilted head. - Thanks

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could it be, some beginners are tilting their head because their opposite eye is dominant in relationship as to how they are holding their cue? Right handed with cue with left eye dominant, or vise versa. We used to see alot of that with our archery shoots, where everyone was invited. Basically parents that didn't know, would buy their kids a bow without knowing any better. When we would see that, we would politely ask the parent if we could check them for eye dominance. Most always we would find that for example they grew up using their right or left hand as the dominate hand, but in fact they were the opposite eye dominate.
Our niece was that way, always used her right hand, but in fact was left eye dominate. Wife's sister bought her a right handed bow. When she came out to shoot with us for the 1st time, she flopped her head over to see her sight and we knew right away. We sold her bow and got her a left handed one, she struggled for a few times as she wasn't used to doing anything left handed, but she became quite a good shooter in short time. We still laugh about that.

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a guy that makes it work. Agree that it would be for opposite eye dominant players. I've tried pressing my cheek to my front delt like this and may try it again later once I've locked in other things. Head certainly doesn't move!

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm left eye dominant and right handed and played for several years with my head tilted not even knowing that I was doing it till I videoed myself. I made the change to straighten my head and I think it helps with perception. Whitey Walker is a good player that tilts his head.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider Glenn Atwell a very good player...he tilts his head.

There are exceptions, just not very many. I’m sure there is an alignment related reason for it - same reason you’d virtually never seen a bow or rifle sharpshooter with a tilted head.

slim123

I don’t think so, as I’ve never seen any good players do it. I’ve seen a number of good players, including Mosconi, turn their head slightly to where their left eye might be closer to the cue ball than their right eye, but their head always seems to remain straight up and down.

I often see beginner players in here have a terribly tilted head. It would be nice if, in trying to offer them some help, if I could present them with a fact based easily comprehendible reason as to why you shouldn’t play pool with a tilted head. - Thanks
Maybe theyr just ate at the border and have taco neck lol

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm left eye dominant and right handed and played for several years with my head tilted not even knowing that I was doing it till I videoed myself. I made the change to straighten my head and I think it helps with perception. Whitey Walker is a good player that tilts his head.

Same here. It made a positive difference for me once I corrected.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
There are exceptions, just not very many. I’m sure there is an alignment related reason for it - same reason you’d virtually never seen a bow or rifle sharpshooter with a tilted head.
Gotta agree with that. Glenn's head tilt is kind of like McCready's stroke...not something I would urge a beginner to emulate.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You’re gonna hold your head the way you see best
Rat Martin…..Louie Roberts

7C076F70-9426-43AE-A9CE-B74547D5EFAE.jpeg
5E1A46AB-142D-4A6B-B32F-2AA23D347224.jpeg

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t really think it matters, Keith McCready is a good example of a top pro who regularly tilted his head.

Guy Manges

Registered
Could it be, some beginners are tilting their head because their opposite eye is dominant in relationship as to how they are holding their cue? Right handed with cue with left eye dominant, or vise versa. We used to see alot of that with our archery shoots, where everyone was invited. Basically parents that didn't know, would buy their kids a bow without knowing any better. When we would see that, we would politely ask the parent if we could check them for eye dominance. Most always we would find that for example they grew up using their right or left hand as the dominate hand, but in fact they were the opposite eye dominate.
Our niece was that way, always used her right hand, but in fact was left eye dominate. Wife's sister bought her a right handed bow. When she came out to shoot with us for the 1st time, she flopped her head over to see her sight and we knew right away. We sold her bow and got her a left handed one, she struggled for a few times as she wasn't used to doing anything left handed, but she became quite a good shooter in short time. We still laugh about that.
Luckily my ordered bow was left or right handed Bear Alaskan, I was 12 years old, Who knew... Guy

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think it matters as long as you are consistent or play enough you are comfortable with the inconsistencies. Found an old match with Bugs. He was getting up in years and had a pretty fair stomach growing. He still shot some shots behind his back for no reason I could figure out even after going back a few times. I suspect just the way he shot these shots. I shoot the same shots except my head is out of position.

Sometimes when no bridge is handy or I am lazy I reach both hands over my head as I pretty much lay my upper body on the table to shoot a shot. My head is about ninety degrees out of position. Granted that these aren't real tough shots other than getting to them but I rarely miss these.

I think about all of the gotta have perfect stance and gotta have perfect head position theories then think about all of the times we have to shoot from a less than perfect stance and head position. Everyone that has played awhile is pretty high percentage on the shots where we can do everything textbook. I really think that what decides the winner and loser, at least on the physical side, is who can come with the awkward shots, making the ball and getting inline for the next one.

There was a book out "golf is not a game of perfect" or something like that. Pool is much the same. I think the times when everything is perfect for a shot are just the foundation to build your ability to make imperfect shots.

In tournament play where you are playing people of many different levels it is often your comfort with the "oddball" shots that sow the first seeds of doubt in their minds.

Hu

Guy Manges

Registered
I don't think it matters as long as you are consistent or play enough you are comfortable with the inconsistencies. Found an old match with Bugs. He was getting up in years and had a pretty fair stomach growing. He still shot some shots behind his back for no reason I could figure out even after going back a few times. I suspect just the way he shot these shots. I shoot the same shots except my head is out of position.

Sometimes when no bridge is handy or I am lazy I reach both hands over my head as I pretty much lay my upper body on the table to shoot a shot. My head is about ninety degrees out of position. Granted that these aren't real tough shots other than getting to them but I rarely miss these.

I think about all of the gotta have perfect stance and gotta have perfect head position theories then think about all of the times we have to shoot from a less than perfect stance and head position. Everyone that has played awhile is pretty high percentage on the shots where we can do everything textbook. I really think that what decides the winner and loser, at least on the physical side, is who can come with the awkward shots, making the ball and getting inline for the next one.

There was a book out "golf is not a game of perfect" or something like that. Pool is much the same. I think the times when everything is perfect for a shot are just the foundation to build your ability to make imperfect shots.

In tournament play where you are playing people of many different levels it is often your comfort with the "oddball" shots that sow the first seeds of doubt in their minds.

Hu
YES...Guy