Tournament debaucle, what’s your opinion?

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend just won a tournament, or at least they thought they did.
They were in the one loss side. Lost again but opponent decided to drop out, so they continued and ended up winning the whole thing.
Now opponents, who at the time knew what had happened and still allowed this to happen, are crying sour grapes after the fact.
At the time the tournament director allowed them to continue on. Now they want to invalidate the win after the fact?
In my opinion the win should stand since the powers that be allowed them to continue. If any fault is assessed it should pay solely on the shoulders of the people that chose to allow the matches to continue.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
A friend just won a tournament, or at least they thought they did.
They were in the one loss side. Lost again but opponent decided to drop out, so they continued and ended up winning the whole thing.
Now opponents, who at the time knew what had happened and still allowed this to happen, are crying sour grapes after the fact.
At the time the tournament director allowed them to continue on. Now they want to invalidate the win after the fact?
In my opinion the win should stand since the powers that be allowed them to continue. If any fault is assessed it should pay solely on the shoulders of the people that chose to allow the matches to continue.
The integrity of the event was ruined once they allowed the player to continue on after his second loss. That was a poor decision in itself. Once the player continues, the course of the entire tournament changes. It can't be reversed. Therefor, the win stands.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s what should’ve happened, versus what did happen.

What should’ve happened, is that once your buddy lost the second match he was out and the player that was supposed to play the guy who dropped out next should‘ve won by forfeit and advanced on.

Sadly, the TD made a bad decision, but it’s his tournament and his decision has to stand. You can’t change a decision after the fact because you don’t like the results of that decision.

Hopefully the TD learned a lesson here…

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second loss in a double elimination tournament and you are done.
Unscrew your stick and put it back in your case and go home.
I am sure the the guy that lost his match from the one loss side knew that.
Surprised he would even acquiesce to the Tournament Directors decision.
The guy in the hot heat is the winner as he hasn't lost a match the whole tournament
and now you tell me a guy that lost TWO matches won the tournament?
I wonder what the Tournament Director's cut was.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second loss in a double elimination tournament and you are done.
Unscrew your stick and put it back in your case and go home.
I am sure the the guy that lost his match from the one loss side knew that.
Surprised he would even acquiesce to the Tournament Directors decision.
The guy in the hot heat is the winner as he hasn't lost a match the whole tournament
and now you tell me a guy that lost TWO matches won the tournament?
I wonder what the Tournament Director's cut was.
I know the player that won. Tons of integrity. Would never continue on if there was any issue.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the player that won. Tons of integrity. Would never continue on if there was any issue.
Just doesn't make any sense.
Two losses and done.
That is the perfect definition of a double elimination tournament.
The Tournament Director is the problem.
If there was nobody left on the one loss side then the tournament is over.
Guy in the hot seat wins.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
There’s what should’ve happened, versus what did happen.

What should’ve happened, is that once your buddy lost the second match he was out and the player that was supposed to play the guy who dropped out next should‘ve won by forfeit and advanced on.

Sadly, the TD made a bad decision, but it’s his tournament and his decision has to stand. You can’t change a decision after the fact because you don’t like the results of that decision.

Hopefully the TD learned a lesson here…
I don't necessarily agree. Until the winner tells the TD he won, he has every right to forfeit out. That's what seems to have happened in this case. If the person reported to have won didn't beat his opponent it's irrelevant, that person forfeited out.

Jaden

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't necessarily agree. Until the winner tells the TD he won, he has every right to forfeit out. That's what seems to have happened in this case. If the person reported to have won didn't beat his opponent it's irrelevant, that person forfeited out.

Jaden
If he forfeited out after winning the match he actually took second place money since he only had one loss
and then forfeited.
His opponent for his last match had two losses.
He won the match and left the building.
The guy with two losses gets third.
The Tournament Director should never direct another tournament.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your 'tons of integrity' friend is an idiot then. he knew he was out when he lost his second match. time to go.
I don’t know exactly how it went down, but whatever happened and however it was decided ultimately is the result of a judgement by the tournament director.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm playing a guy, he wins, but says hey I have to take off early you go ahead.
This has happened many times in many tournaments I've been in.
Wtf, if this was the situation I don't know a single player that would unscrew and tell the td they lost. They say thanks and keep going. Some of y'all need to get off your high horse.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If he forfeited out after winning the match he actually took second place money since he only had one loss
and then forfeited.
His opponent for his last match had two losses.
He won the match and left the building.
The guy with two losses gets third.
The Tournament Director should never direct another tournament.
You don't win a match until the score is turned in. If he didn't tell the TD that he won, he forfeited THAT match, not the next match..

Jaden

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this happened with 3 more opponents to play to win the whole thing. If those 3 knew this is how it went down and yet continued to play wouldn’t that be consent?
You can’t be like “Oh, that’s cool.”, play, lose and be like “wait, now it’s not cool!”

That’s if they did know.

And if this happens wouldn’t it set a precedent that any tournament where a bad call was made could have the outcome reversed? This forum is full of long threads on bad calls.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this happened with 3 more opponents to play to win the whole thing. If those 3 knew this is how it went down and yet continued to play wouldn’t that be consent?
You can’t be like “Oh, that’s cool.”, play, lose and be like “wait, now it’s not cool!”

That’s if they did know.

And if this happens wouldn’t it set a precedent that any tournament where a bad call was made could have the outcome reversed? This forum is full of long threads on bad calls.
Probably important to remember TDs are usually basically volunteer ( yes, sometimes they make get some $). They do their best. They are not professional directors. TD made a bad call, it happens. They hopefully will do better next time.
People leave early all the time, the complaints are always from losers after the fact.... Losers