Can a player hit down ?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took this up with Dr Dave and Bob Jewett IIRC on my first post here and while it was agreed that many times, contiguous contacts from tip though cue ball through object ball could occur, these would be considered legal if shot sufficiently off center; either horizontally or vertically.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took this up with Dr Dave and Bob Jewett IIRC on my first post here and while it was agreed that many times, contiguous contacts from tip though cue ball through object ball could occur, these would be considered legal if shot sufficiently off center; either horizontally or vertically.
That sounds weird to me. Is this written anywhere?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Written in the World Pool Rules.
Double hits are a foul.
Suppose you shoot a ball nearly frozen to the cue ball at 85 degrees or so. There is the possibility of contiguous contact that isn't considered a foul. If cue ball and object ball are frozen there will always be contiguous contact and shooting through the balls is allowed. Double hits can occur but are difficult to detect.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Written in the World Pool Rules.
Double hits are a foul.
I understand that, thank you. But does it say that if you put enough spin on the ball then it's not a foul? The sentence I am referring to in my post, in my opinion, is too vague to mean to mean anything. Is the rule really that subjective?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that, thank you. But does it say that if you put enough spin on the ball then it's not a foul? The sentence I am referring to in my post, in my opinion, is too vague to mean to mean anything. Is the rule really that subjective?
I wasn't referring to english per se; mostly off the line of centers formed by the balls in question.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Go to YouTube and watch Tony Chohan play some one pocket. Watch his execution. It’s about short jab and timing.

Even with no cut angle. If you can keep your stroke compact you can make a clean single hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't referring to english per se; mostly off the line of centers formed by the balls in question.
Ok, who decides what is "sufficiently off center". When the inevitable disagreement arises, there is not a definite answer because "sufficiently off center" cannot be pinned down and therefore cannot be defined in a rule.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to YouTube and watch Tony Chohan play some one pocket. Watch his execution. It’s about short jab and execution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it`s like Humbert Humbert, you know it when you see it.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, who decides what is "sufficiently off center". When the inevitable disagreement arises, there is not a definite answer because "sufficiently off center" cannot be pinned down and therefore cannot be defined in a rule.
Texas Express I believe attempted to clarify this with the terms "down" and "away". Dr Dave has identified the forensic evidence on double hits. I have not read or heard of any way to call anything but obvious bad hits.