Snookerpool

gerryf

Where do you break from?
Typically you break from the baulk line. Either between the yellow and brown, or between the brown and green. The same as regular snooker. (In regular snooker, you can break from anywhere in the D, but I don't remember ever seeing anyone break from anywhere except on the line between yellow-brown-green.

gerryf

Understood. I think that's one of the reasons I'd like to try 6Reds or 10Reds, but playing Shootout rules. "Ball must hit the rail", and "all fouls are ball-in-hand". There is no D.
I think Shootout Snooker is intended to be a fast game. Like when Texas Express took over 9-ball.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typically you break from the baulk line. Either between the yellow and brown, or between the brown and green. The same as regular snooker. (In regular snooker, you can break from anywhere in the D, but I don't remember ever seeing anyone break from anywhere except on the line between yellow-brown-green.
I know how it's done in snooker, had a snooker table for many years, but this is anything but snooker.

gerryf

I know how it's done in snooker, had a snooker table for many years, but this is anything but snooker.
Ha! Ha! Yeah I know. I enjoy watching quality snooker. But anything less than very good players can be really painful. We'll see if Shootout Snooker (or Snookerpool) will take off.

I did get an email from a group in Europe (6Reds.com) promoting 6Reds on a pool table, and selling a 6Red ball set that was 2 1/4". The price was something like $400 which is pretty high (for 13 balls), considering that I paid less than $200 for a full 22 ball snooker set that was 2 1/4"

Incidentally, they call their 6Reds game 'PoolSnooker"

gerryf

yea I don't see that happening
Me too. One new wrinkle is that the latest Shootout Snooker is carried on TV, and is apparently very popular. Maybe just because it's new.

I did discover that the 6Reds rules now often allow breaking from anywhere behind the line, not just the line between yellow and green.

Edit: The regular game of snooker has some interest in the US and Canada, but doesn't seem to be getting more popular, and may be even getting less popular. This weekend I'm going to a room where they're going to play 10Reds Shootout (or Poolsnooker, or Snookerpool), and I'll see what the consensus is.

Last edited:

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too. One new wrinkle is that the latest Shootout Snooker is carried on TV, and is apparently very popular. Maybe just because it's new.

I did discover that the 6Reds rules now often allow breaking from anywhere behind the line, not just the line between yellow and green.

Edit: The regular game of snooker has some interest in the US and Canada, but doesn't seem to be getting more popular, and may be even getting less popular. This weekend I'm going to a room where they're going to play 10Reds Shootout (or Poolsnooker, or Snookerpool), and I'll see what the consensus is.
I’ve got just enough room for a 12 foot table in my basement if I get rid of my 10 footer. That’s my goal to have a regulation professional snooker table. I’ve got to start saving up for it though!

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve got just enough room for a 12 foot table in my basement if I get rid of my 10 footer. That’s my goal to have a regulation professional snooker table. I’ve got to start saving up for it though!
I had a 10 ft snooker table for several years. I found that to play snooker all the time you gotta really want to play snooker, and it's very hard to find like minded individuals where I live. I ended up modifying mine to pool, which was fun and challenging, but I ran across a deal on a nice 9 ft diamond professional that I couldn't pass up so I sold the bigfoot. You can only play just so much snooker.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a 10 ft snooker table for several years. I found that to play snooker all the time you gotta really want to play snooker, and it's very hard to find like minded individuals where I live. I ended up modifying mine to pool, which was fun and challenging, but I ran across a deal on a nice 9 ft diamond professional that I couldn't pass up so I sold the bigfoot. You can only play just so much snooker.
Luckily, we have plenty of people who love snooker in my area. Of course, it’s the American snooker variety, which is fine with me. My 23 yr old son would rather play snooker than anything, and he is one of the best in our area.

gerryf

Luckily, we have plenty of people who love snooker in my area. Of course, it’s the American snooker variety, which is fine with me. My 23 yr old son would rather play snooker than anything, and he is one of the best in our area.
Really! Your avatar says Alabama? Are the local tables 10 footers? Are there many local tables?

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really! Your avatar says Alabama? Are the local tables 10 footers? Are there many local tables?
Northwest Alabama. Two of my pool halls shut down recently due to owners death and other had health issues. That takes away 3 ten foot snooker tables. There are three nine footers I play on most of the time nearby. There is a 10 footer and 24 diamond tables at Six Pockets in Decatur. There are at least two 10 footers in Hartselle pool hall. Weird there, the reds are fluorescent green!
Cullman has a ten footer the old timers play with six reds from about 8 am till noon every day. I have a ten footer but need new cushions they are terrible. A guy has a 12 footer just across the Mississippi line nearby but I’ve not been there yet. Another nearby pool hall has a 10 foot Gandy snooker table with biggest pockets I’ve ever seen and a 9 foot snooker table that was made in the 1880’s I think. That’s the only ones I know about within an hour from where I live in NW Alabama.

gerryf

Northwest Alabama. Two of my pool halls shut down recently due to owners death and other had health issues. That takes away 3 ten foot snooker tables. There are three nine footers I play on most of the time nearby. There is a 10 footer and 24 diamond tables at Six Pockets in Decatur. There are at least two 10 footers in Hartselle pool hall. Weird there, the reds are fluorescent green!
Cullman has a ten footer the old timers play with six reds from about 8 am till noon every day. I have a ten footer but need new cushions they are terrible. A guy has a 12 footer just across the Mississippi line nearby but I’ve not been there yet. Another nearby pool hall has a 10 foot Gandy snooker table with biggest pockets I’ve ever seen and a 9 foot snooker table that was made in the 1880’s I think. That’s the only ones I know about within an hour from where I live in NW Alabama.
Well that's impressive! Thanks for the info.

RubixOne

I have re-added the ruleset for professional-level Snookerpool after fixing some typos and adding a few clarifications.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Snooker tables can be found for good prices around here ... for example:

Dave

PS I know, that's Calgary and I live in Saskatoon about 400 miles away :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snooker tables can be found for good prices around here ... for example:

Dave

PS I know, that's Calgary and I live in Saskatoon about 400 miles away :)
I think the Brunswick snooker tables I've seen in the US all have pool-profile rubber for their cushions. Is that table likely to have the L-profile snooker rubber?

DaveK

Silver Member
I think the Brunswick snooker tables I've seen in the US all have pool-profile rubber for their cushions. Is that table likely to have the L-profile snooker rubber?
I would think so. If I were to guess that table likely came out of a "pool" hall 30-40 years ago. Every moderate sized town had a 6x12 table or two in a hall or behind the barber shop ... almost all gone now but many tables remain in basements.

Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would think so. If I were to guess that table likely came out of a "pool" hall 30-40 years ago. Every moderate sized town had a 6x12 table or two in a hall or behind the barber shop ... almost all gone now but many tables remain in basements.

Dave
Have you ever seen snooker tables in Canada with the "wrong" rubber on them? (By "wrong" I mean with a triangular cross section.)

I was not aware that L-profile rubber existed until about 2000.

DaveK

Silver Member
Have you ever seen snooker tables in Canada with the "wrong" rubber on them? (By "wrong" I mean with a triangular cross section.)

I was not aware that L-profile rubber existed until about 2000.
Not that I can recall. I will check the few still around here next time I'm at the hall.

Dave

RubixOne

After realizing that the penalty value calculation got too complicated for my tastes, I decided to use the tried and true method of four points or the value of the highest valued object ball that is contacted first by the cue ball, whichever is higher.

Last edited: