Mark Allen complaining about tables.

TrxR

Did any of you see the video of Mark Allen complaining about the tables only being recovered once a tournament saying it should be changed before the last 16 as well? He called them devastatingly bad.

Is the cloth on these tables that delicate they can't handle a whole tournament?

What would he think about club tables that might get changed once a year?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did any of you see the video of Mark Allen complaining about the tables only being recovered once a tournament saying it should be changed before the last 16 as well? He called them devastatingly bad.

Is the cloth on these tables that delicate they can't handle a whole tournament?

What would he think about club tables that might get changed once a year?
I guess he doesn't like the pockets getting harder as the cloth wears in a little. Maybe a little harder to play screw shots. At carom, where knowing the angles of the balls bouncing off the cushions is the game, tournament players prefer the cloth to be worn in a little so the initial slide is gone.

I have heard that tournament cloth has an extra shearing so it is almost napless, but I doubt that makes it so fragile it tears in normal play.

It would be interesting to hear from other players.

TrxR

I guess he doesn't like the pockets getting harder as the cloth wears in a little. Maybe a little harder to play screw shots. At carom, where knowing the angles of the balls bouncing off the cushions is the game, tournament players prefer the cloth to be worn in a little so the initial slide is gone.

I have heard that tournament cloth has an extra shearing so it is almost napless, but I doubt that makes it so fragile it tears in normal play.

It would be interesting to hear from other players.
According to the video I seen they claimed Neil Robertson was saying the same thing.

TrxR

Did either say what he didn't like about the week-old cloth?
I remember something about rolls and not being able to screw back as well. I'll post a the Facebook, link to it.

telinoz

Registered
LOL, they do this every other event.

Back in 2011, when Goldfields open started in Australia.
I had back stage pass, was already on good terms with World Snooker and the table mechanics.
Honestly, the process setting up these tables, levelling, checking is as good as it gets.
They check and adjust as table settles during the event.

99.99% of the time, a player just has a bad shot, then blames the table.

It is a giant nothing burger.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, they do this every other event.

Back in 2011, when Goldfields open started in Australia.
I had back stage pass, was already on good terms with World Snooker and the table mechanics.
Honestly, the process setting up these tables, levelling, checking is as good as it gets.
They check and adjust as table settles during the event.

99.99% of the time, a player just has a bad shot, then blames the table.

It is a giant nothing burger.
Iโ€™m just being curious. Is the game of snooker popular enough in Australia for there to be decent access to good official size tables? Iโ€™m assuming it is. Youโ€™ve been in the states so you know in most areas they are hard to find and if you do find a 12 footer all most folks want to play is golf. 10 foot and 9 foot snooker tables are common in my neck of the woods in the South. Iโ€™ve only found one 12 foot table but itโ€™s a 6 hour drive from my house which means I play on it once a year when we go on vacation to the beach.

drsnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People at all level complain about the conditions.... Table's too slow, cushion's too bouncy, cue ball too heavy etc etc etc.

Findsnooker has a 12 footer in Olivebranch, MS that might still be there and a little closer than Pensacola....

telinoz

Registered
Iโ€™m just being curious. Is the game of snooker popular enough in Australia for there to be decent access to good official size tables? Iโ€™m assuming it is. Youโ€™ve been in the states so you know in most areas they are hard to find and if you do find a 12 footer all most folks want to play is golf. 10 foot and 9 foot snooker tables are common in my neck of the woods in the South. Iโ€™ve only found one 12 foot table but itโ€™s a 6 hour drive from my house which means I play on it once a year when we go on vacation to the beach.
There are a few academies around with Star tables, to professional standard.
But not a lot.
However, Australia has hundreds of RSL retired servicemen league clubs.
Most have Snooker tables, free to use and annual memberships range from $5 to $30.

Pool, WPA pool, is the game that is hard to find tables for us.
That is a legacy of being a commonwealth country.
So, it is mostly WEPF 2 shot pool tables, which is by far the most played cuesport here.

Yes, I gave up trying to play Snooker in the US. Tables are rare as hens teeth, as you said.
Which is a shame, because there is a lot of potential in the US.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Sheffield about 10 years ago they were changing the cloth almost every night. They were moaning then. Nothing new.

In the defense of the players I understand why they want fresh cloth each match-more predictable.

Best
Fatboy <โ€”โ€”โ€”likes his 5 blue in this game๐Ÿ’™

Edit: it was longer than 10 years ago. Seems like it was in 07-08. Sorry about that. Lost track of time

Last edited:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair No10 does play like crap after a short period but I would not think it changes that much in a few days.