Team Europe Selection is Complete for 2022 Mosconi Cup

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It kind of bugs me is when people talk about Fedor's lackluster finish at the US Open as a contributing factor.

The guy was politically barred from all major events, still managed to climb to the top of the money board in regional and semi-pro events with a string of 1st place finishes the likes of which I have never before seen (including blowing our minds at DCC). I think there was a 7 month stretch where he didn't miss a ball if I remember right.

Then he is in the single elimination stage against Tyler in a shortened race to 9 format, is up 7-5, misses a 7 ball, gets the set run out on him and gets eliminated. He dogged one ball and dropped one short set in one single elim event. After not being allowed to play Matchroom for a year. And this is supposed to disqualify him?

That would be like working for a company for 20 years with a perfect attendance record, showing up 8 minutes late one day due to being hit by a drunk driver, and being terminated. Heck with that.

I guess this is why I don't care for the Mosconi Cup. I love pool because it is totally fair, players get what they earn. As long as we go off of official rankings and/or fargo rate rankings people will always be rewarded for their performances. Once we get into coach's choices it becomes popularity, politics, and who knows what else.

I understand I am in the 1% minority on this one. For all of the MC fans I am glad you enjoy and look forward to this. But I just can't get excited about it myself.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It kind of bugs me is when people talk about Fedor's lackluster finish at the US Open as a contributing factor.

The guy was politically barred from all major events, still managed to climb to the top of the money board in regional and semi-pro events with a string of 1st place finishes the likes of which I have never before seen (including blowing our minds at DCC). I think there was a 7 month stretch where he didn't miss a ball if I remember right.

Then he is in the single elimination stage against Tyler in a shortened race to 9 format, is up 7-5, misses a 7 ball, gets the set run out on him and gets eliminated. He dogged one ball and dropped one short set in one single elim event. After not being allowed to play Matchroom for a year. And this is supposed to disqualify him?

That would be like working for a company for 20 years with a perfect attendance record, showing up 8 minutes late one day due to being hit by a drunk driver, and being terminated. Heck with that.

I guess this is why I don't care for the Mosconi Cup. I love pool because it is totally fair, players get what they earn. As long as we go off of official rankings and/or fargo rate rankings people will always be rewarded for their performances. Once we get into coach's choices it becomes popularity, politics, and who knows what else.

I understand I am in the 1% minority on this one. For all of the MC fans I am glad you enjoy and look forward to this. But I just can't get excited about it myself.
Omitting the world's top money earner and winner of more than 20 events this year alone is asinine now matter how you slice it.

geoff_182

I would have picked Alcaide also. And for the record, I think that Fedor is the best 9/10 ball player in the world, under normal conditions. (no shouting fans and no shot clock)

As a teammate, theres nobody better than Alcaide. At the US Open, after FSR's win, Alcaide was more happy than FSR was. And if you are thinking of doubles, I don't think any 2 players in the world would be favored over FSR/Alcaide.

Alcaide has shown his class in matchroom events before including the Mosconi cup. He had arguably the biggest win last year under crazy circumstances vs JJ. And he showed his class/sportsmanship after the win.

The Mosconi cup isn't a normal event. Fedor is basically still a rookie (he played the year with no fans). Slow and deliberate players tend to struggle a bit in this event.

There are probably 20-30 guys that Europe could have picked that would have been big favorites over at least 3 of the American players, and either way Europe is a huge favorite. For this final pick, you want to complete what you think is the best "team", not just pick the best individual player.

Fedor will be a mainstay on the European team for the next 15 years, but right now, I think Alcaide was the pick.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

I guess you could say that was a contributing factor in a round about way since it was the only Matchroom event he was able to play in, but to be more precise the big factor was how he performed in all of Matchroom's events throughout the year that was the primary factor and obviously he wasn't able to do well in Matchroom events over the course of the year if he didn't even get to play in Matchroom events throughout the year.

In so many words in a recent interview Alex Lely stated that Fedor was going to be his choice as the 5th player, but that when he talked to Emily she told him that he must use how a player did in all of the Matchroom events throughout the year as his main selection criteria, and that she didn't care how a person did in other events that were not from Matchroom or other games that were not 9 ball or care why they didn't play them, and this obviously made Fedor no longer really in consideration and tilted Alex to having to instead go with who was his close secondary choice (Alcaide) who he liked due to his combination of play, performance last year, how well he plays doubles matches, his team leadership, and because he is so close to the the guy who is the rookie this year and who will be feeling the associated pressure of that for the first time (FSR).

In short Emily ideally really only wanted to consider players who heavily participated in Matchroom events and evaluate only their performances from the totality of the Matchroom events. If she pushes that criteria as strongly on the American side that would obviously keep guys like Earl Strickland and Justin Bergman out of consideration as well.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: bbb

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I don't understand why Emily has influence on wildcard selection. I thought the wildcard selection was the captain's choice and doesn't have anything to do with points and rankings and how many events they played in.

I guess my definition of "wildcard" is different than what a wildcard is in 2022.

Thanks for adding a little color to the thread.

Here is the interview for those interested. Alex is of course a bit more diplomatic with his wording but that was the gist of it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the interview for those interested. Alex is of course a bit more diplomatic with his wording but that was the gist of it.

I think wildcards should be captain's choice, not promoter's choice. Thanks for the link. I'm going to watch it later on when I have time to sweat it. :)

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It makes sense that the wildcard for a Matchroom event be someone that has participated in and shown success in other Matchroom events, or at least it makes sense that Matchroom would want it to be that way.

• Love
Reactions: sjm

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I don't understand why Emily has influence on wildcard selection.
Really? C'mon Jennie, you're smarter than that.
This is Matchroom's biggest regular pool event. They have a say-so in ALL the picks.
If they don't like you, you won't be in it, even if you have enough "automatic qualifying points".
They'll conveniently find you an "excuse" to not be able to participate.
The Mosconi Cup is the WWE Event of pool lol. It's a circus.
I really don't think even SVB wants to be there--- he hasn't for years imo.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow! I just watched the Pool Player Podcast. If anybody hasn't seen it, I recommend it highly. First off, my hat goes off to Team Europe Captain Alex Lely who answered all questions, some of them sensitive, with class and respect. Second, I commend Mike Panozzo's no-holds-barred inquiries of Alex. He asked what, I'm sure, everybody was wondering. Well done! :cool:

I have always been a huge fan of David Alcaide, even before his recent rise to pool fame I was contacted on Facebook messenger not very long ago, maybe 4 or 5 years, by someone close to David who knew I was a loyal fan. They wrote the reason (they thought) David was not getting chosen for high-profile pool events was because his English was not good. I felt sad to read those words and wondered if David, his family or friends, actually felt that way. Since that time, though, David has become a pool celebrity based on his performance, and I'm happy for him. (y)

It is true, as was stated in the podcast, that American pool fans are more upset about Fedor not being chosen than European fans, but it is because we Americans got a chance to know Fedor since he was stuck in USA during geopolitical happenings elsewhere. I know Fedor still has a lot of fuel left in his tank, so we'll be reading much more about him in the future, thank goodness. 🤩

I found it interesting that Johan Ruijsink, the previous Team Europe Mosconi Cup captain, called up Alex Lely after the U.S. Open and suggested Fedor Gorst needed work on his back swing. 😊

I'm disappointed on how wildcard choices are handled for this event. Will Team USA Captain Jeremy Jones also be confronted with the same Matchroom wildcard "suggestions"? If this is the case, my opinion is Shane Wolford, based on rankings, should be a shoe-in for the fifth pick on Team USA. If not, if Matchroom is going for the entertainment factor, Earl Strickland will get the nod. 😉

As an aside, is there a Predator v. Matchroom rivalry beginning to surface? 🤨

I have never been one to bend the knee to anyone or anything based on how affluent they are. In fact, I tend to give greater scrutiny if affluence is exerted in an arrogant, overbearing manner. That said, I do appreciate anything or anybody who can effect a positive change for the sport we all love and feel passionate about, and I realize change is always difficult to accept, especially by an aged pool fan like me. 😇

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is true, as was stated in the podcast, that American pool fans are more upset about Fedor not being chosen than European fans, but it is because we Americans got a chance to know Fedor since he was stuck in USA during geopolitical happenings elsewhere. I know Fedor still has a lot of fuel left in his tank, so we'll be reading much more about him in the future, thank goodness. 🤩

I found it interesting that Johan Ruijsink, the previous Team Europe Mosconi Cup captain, called up Alex Lely after the U.S. Open and suggested Fedor Gorst needed work on his back swing. 😊

I'm disappointed on how wildcard choices are handled for this event. Will Team USA Captain Jeremy Jones also be confronted with the same Matchroom wildcard "suggestions"? If this is the case, my opinion is Shane Wolford, based on rankings, should be a shoe-in for the fifth pick on Team USA. If not, if Matchroom is going for the entertainment factor, Earl Strickland will get the nod. 😉

As an aside, is there a Predator v. Matchroom rivalry beginning to surface? 🤨

I have never been one to bend the knee to anyone or anything based on how affluent they are. In fact, I tend to give greater scrutiny if affluence is exerted in an arrogant, overbearing manner. That said, I do appreciate anything or anybody who can effect a positive change for the sport we all love and feel passionate about, and I realize change is always difficult to accept, especially by an aged pool fan like me. 😇

fedor i believe is in the process of converting to murican citizen. i think the three other in that posse are as well, but i don't know for sure, just rumors. so that may or may not be a factor as well.

re wildcard picks and MC picks in general i think it's better and more transparent than ever before. no more "hook up your buddies for a trip and a payday", no more questions about merit.

and yes, there is rivalry between MR and predator. so far it seems to be to the benefit of the players. no tour is excluding players, and predator is piggybacking MR events in time and location, which gives players reduced travel costs. besides competition and rivalry can boost prize money, increase general interest, sharpen up the rivals production, etc.

ACL

Why is Jayson playing for Europe when he lives and is married to an American?
He has dual citizenship. There are many Americans that compete in the Olympics that compete for other countries so it's not uncommon.

There are European Ryder Cup team members that live in FL most of the year. Same situation.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has dual citizenship. There are many Americans that compete in the Olympics that compete for other countries so it's not uncommon.

There are European Ryder Cup team members that live in FL most of the year. Same situation.
I wonder if he would be allowed to play for the US if he really wanted to? since he is a US citizen...

ACL

I wonder if he would be allowed to play for the US if he really wanted to? since he is a US citizen...
I have never asked him about it (I play at his home room and know him well). My gut tells me he wouldn't even if he could. He is Scottish first and foremost and has a tremendous amount of pride representing Scotland and Europe.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Representing your country means a lot to Europeans. On the Mosconi, you are representing your country, as a part of Europe.
To suggest a European would switch allegiances to representing the US after they have already represented Europe is pure fantasy.
I see those posts come up all of the time on here and on social and they are pure facepalm material.

If however a European has not represented Europe, they have US citizenship and they feel that it is unlikely that Europe would ever pick them, then they might represent the US, but I cant see any other scenario where I feel it could happen.

Reactions: ACL

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never asked him about it (I play at his home room and know him well). My gut tells me he wouldn't even if he could. He is Scottish first and foremost and has a tremendous amount of pride representing Scotland and Europe.
Representing your country means a lot to Europeans. On the Mosconi, you are representing your country, as a part of Europe.
To suggest a European would switch allegiances to representing the US after they have already represented Europe is pure fantasy.
I see those posts come up all of the time on here and on social and they are pure facepalm material.

If however a European has not represented Europe, they have US citizenship and they feel that it is unlikely that Europe would ever pick them, then they might represent the US, but I cant see any other scenario where I feel it could happen.
No doubt, i was just wondering if it was even allowed by matchroom...

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Not to mention, I'm sure he likes winning and getting that extra 30k

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Yes, it would certainly be allowable, he is a US citizen. The only thing that would prevent it would be if Matchroom wanted to put their foot down due to their own preferences, and we all know how apt they are to do just that type of thing.

No, for several reasons Matchroom probably wouldn't allow it even though they certainly could, and arguably should. First, that has always been where Shaw has played (funny how they only seem to care about certain traditions huh--just the ones that benefit them), and second, although they would of course claim neutrality, there is no doubt they have a rather strong bias towards Europe and kind of like seeing them do well and put it to the ole USA.

It wasn't what you asked but as others pointed out Jayson himself wouldn't want to change because he feels more loyalty with and identifies much more with Europe than he does the USA, and he of course also likes getting the extra money that comes with being on the winning team.

My personal opinion is that anyone that has a dual citizenship, and is actually living in one of the countries of their citizenship, should have to play for the country that they both have citizenship in as well as reside in the majority of the time. Clearly you think that is the better country or else you wouldn't be living there, and as such that should be the tiebreaker that determines who you play for. At the very least it is the country that is currently offering the most benefit to your life, which still should be the tiebreaker that determines that you should have to play for them.

Then you have the completely unrelated issue that even if it were to happen SVB would quit the team immediately, and Jayson wouldn't gel well at all with much of the rest of the team...

Last edited: