Backhand Aiming

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been shooting with a lot more involvement and thought process on my backhand (shooting hand). I found that after I aim the tip of my cue at the point fof the cueball I want to hit I let my backhand take over and use it to narrow down my aim at the object ball. I found out that by aiming this way I am not so cue tip centric and I have a better feel for the shot and especially for position on the next ball. I am playing a little more subconsciously which has always been my goal.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been shooting with a lot more involvement and thought process on my backhand (shooting hand). I found that after I aim the tip of my cue at the point fof the cueball I want to hit I let my backhand take over and use it to narrow down my aim at the object ball. I found out that by aiming this way I am not so cue tip centric and I have a better feel for the shot and especially for position on the next ball. I am playing a little more subconsciously which has always been my goal.
I have found that as well. Not exactly but close. I think getting the cue in proper alignment and then letting your mind/subconscious fine tune it gets me much closer than aiming at a ghost ball center while standing and trying to keep that point when I get down.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Although you speak of aim, this can also be helpful for stroke. Quite a few players would benefit from "working" the stroke hand better or even "feeling the middle of the cue come through the shot" rather than being obsessed with tip movement.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The weight of the cue is on my ring finger just a little in front of where my ring would set. I use this point to direct the cue to the object ball aim point.

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
The line of the cue in motion is the actual "aiming" line. The tip is a single point of reference. The alignment of the cue and more importantly, the alignment of the cue in motion is defining the line of the shot. Try to hold the cue as lightly as possible and allow it to pendulum along the shot line. The light grip minimizes the probability of moving the cue off line. Hold it so lightly that you would drop it if you used any less grip.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The line of the cue in motion is the actual "aiming" line. The tip is a single point of reference. The alignment of the cue and more importantly, the alignment of the cue in motion is defining the line of the shot. Try to hold the cue as lightly as possible and allow it to pendulum along the shot line. The light grip minimizes the probability of moving the cue off line. Hold it so lightly that you would drop it if you used any less grip.
I don't agree with this. I think the tightness of the grip should not change much during the shot. A very loose grip has to be tightened at the end to keep the stick from leaving the hand. And it has to be tightened to play with force. There should be no daylight between the stick and the grip hand.

Also, any wrap that is not at least as sticky as a plain finish is a mistake because it forces you to grip tighter.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I don't agree with this. I think the tightness of the grip should not change much during the shot. A very loose grip has to be tightened at the end to keep the stick from leaving the hand. And it has to be tightened to play with force. There should be no daylight between the stick and the grip hand.

Also, any wrap that is not at least as sticky as a plain finish is a mistake because it forces you to grip tighter.
Yep - closed (not clenched) grip on a wrapless butt. Would be a deadly combination if I was deadly.

pj
chgo

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
I don't agree with this. I think the tightness of the grip should not change much during the shot. A very loose grip has to be tightened at the end to keep the stick from leaving the hand.
Bob, I completely respect your opinion but disagree. The lighter the grip the more spin the cue imparts to the cb. There is no need to tighten the grip at the end. Stay loose and if the cue slips a bit, it slips. You will find that it doesn't unless you are applying significant force (I use an oiled Spanish bull wrap but shot the same with linen or wrapless).

Observe Bustamante's grip. It is in no way tight. In my opinion, grip like a violinist grips the bow, gently, allowing the cue to flow. It is a pendulum in motion. Gripping, pushing, pulling, adjusting, all disrupt the flow of the pendulum. Grip also disrupts the cues ability to impart spin. The whole cue functions as a unit to impart spin. Some players actually throw the cue slightly immediately prior to cue impact with the cb to impart maximum spin.

Look at Mike Massey's stroke. He caresses the cue and gets maximum spin. JMHO based on experience and observation.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The lighter the grip the more spin the cue imparts to the cb. ...
I am pretty sure this is false. I think that if someone loosens their grip and spins the cue ball more it's either because of a change in the point they're hitting the ball or a change in the timing of the stroke.

And please note I am not advocating a death grip. The grip only needs to be tight enough to avoid any slip during the shot. A wrap that maintains friction between the hand and the cue stick helps. Wrapless is generally better than other wraps except for the rubber sleeves that carom players use.

Last edited:

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
More on the topic:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Bob, I completely respect your opinion but disagree. The lighter the grip the more spin the cue imparts to the cb. There is no need to tighten the grip at the end. Stay loose and if the cue slips a bit, it slips. You will find that it doesn't unless you are applying significant force (I use an oiled Spanish bull wrap but shot the same with linen or wrapless).

Observe Bustamante's grip. It is in no way tight. In my opinion, grip like a violinist grips the bow, gently, allowing the cue to flow. It is a pendulum in motion. Gripping, pushing, pulling, adjusting, all disrupt the flow of the pendulum. Grip also disrupts the cues ability to impart spin. The whole cue functions as a unit to impart spin. Some players actually throw the cue slightly immediately prior to cue impact with the cb to impart maximum spin.

Look at Mike Massey's stroke. He caresses the cue and gets maximum spin. JMHO based on experience and observation.

This is all correlation without causation.

By your comments the cue would impart more spin if it were flying through the air being held by nothing during impact with the cb…..which is Completely false.

Now what a pendulum with a light grip can do is to keep positive acceleration growth an constant before and after impact because the swing is a bell curve, the wrist pulling through the hinging elbow creates greater leverage of motion which accelerates the hand, thus it looks more effortless and smooth…..most heavy grippers really rip the balls around have have to build up more speed as many decelerate prior to impact. Which gets less spin and less speed output…can negatively effect accuracy as well if one is having to stroke faster than necessary due to that tendency toward deceleration at the end.

Too much grip and regripping/adding grip tension during the delivery can and does retard acceleration and speed because of muscle tension.

But none of this has any influence on the cues ability to impart spin. Wether by magically making more spin from the same offset or having a larger offset ability bf miscuing neither will happen regardless of how a cue is held by hand or by magically being able to fly.

Careful with these assumptions the eyes can easily deceive and things are often much deeper than what we think is clearly happening…it often is not visually clear in the slightest, and physics is much more complicated than what most can get from mere natural observation with our eyes.

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
Lightness/tightness of grip has no direct effect on the CB.
Then why do so many instructors and pros advise to grip the cue loosely in order to increase draw, for example?
It seems to me from my experience that the cue is free to impart max effect without the "deadening" that a tight grip causes.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
not sure it really adds length to the follow thru
since the distance from bottom of pendulum to chest could equal amount of cue that "slips" thru.
however
the loosening of the grip just before contact eliminates the effects of pressure changes in the grip (which can cause the cue to go off line) during this critical part of the stroke

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Then why do so many instructors and pros advise to grip the cue loosely in order to increase draw, for example?
You'd have to ask them. The reason that makes sense is to avoid tightening the grip during the stroke (as it says in the link you posted), which can move the tip offline. All that requires is an unchanging grip - loose or tight doesn't matter.

It seems to me from my experience that the cue is free to impart max effect without the "deadening" that a tight grip causes.
What does "free to impart max effect" mean? What does "deadening" mean? How does a tight grip cause it?

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You'd have to ask them. The reason that makes sense is to avoid tightening the grip during the stroke (as it says in the link you posted), which can move the tip offline. All that requires is an unchanging grip - loose or tight doesn't matter.

What does "free to impart max effect" mean? What does "deadening" mean? How does a tight grip cause it?

pj
chgo
I think tightening the grip decreases acceleration at a crucial part of the stroke
some call it “choking” the cue
some call it “deadening “ the cue
that is why i think “loose “ grip is advocated
i know you dont believe that type of strokes produce different effects
but i think they give the player a “visual” of timing
p.s.
i am with you that the cue ball only knows where it was hit/how hard/and angle of approach
i may be missing some other things

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member

pj
chgo
I'm not a physics expert but I can hear the vibration in my cue at impact with a loose grip. With a slightly tighter grip the cue is quiet. I don't know the scientific principle but it seems like I get more spin with the same effort with a looser grip (but maybe it's those 60s flashbacks...)