Mosconi Cup online sports book betting odds.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These odds are from online sports book.
These odds on outright win seem a bit low to me.
What do you guys think the bet is here ?

1669255630956.png

1669256114811.png

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I don't even understand what I'm seeing here... Anybody want to tell a noob to read this?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
A good bet here might be Earl at 18:1 to have the most points. He seems almost certain to play in the fan's choice match and maybe even the captain's choice match if it reaches 10-10, so he could possibly get more chances than any other American player. In addition, he was surely selected for his name recognition, so it's a safe bet he'll be given plenty of chances to shine. If Team USA wins, my guess is that Earl will have had a very good Mosconi Cup.

And, no, I won't be placing any bets on the Mosconi. Never have.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there online sports books that are legal for betting throughout the U.S.? Or, just those states that have approved sports book betting? How does one bet on this if you're in a state that hasn't?

Also, are any of the Vegas sports books taking this action?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't even understand what I'm seeing here... Anybody want to tell a noob to read this?
That's the American format for presenting odds. A minus sign means the bet is on a favorite. Both numbers are based on 100 but one is what you get and the other is what you bet. In either case you get back the total of the 100 and the other number.

Euro -- put up $225, get back 225 + 100 = 325 if you win

US -- put up 100, get back 100 + 170 = 270 if you win

I did a more extensive analysis in some other thread. The bookie takes about 7% of the total amount bet if he gets the bets to balance.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
0ut right win betting
Europe you have to bet $225 to win $100
USA bet $100 to win $175
That's the American format for presenting odds. A minus sign means the bet is on a favorite. Both numbers are based on 100 but one is what you get and the other is what you bet. In either case you get back the total of the 100 and the other number.

Euro -- put up $225, get back 225 + 100 = 325 if you win

US -- put up 100, get back 100 + 170 = 270 if you win

I did a more extensive analysis in some other thread. The bookie takes about 7% of the total amount bet if he gets the bets to balance.
Thanks, that makes sense. :)

BlueRaider

Registered
Who sets these odds? Given pool's relative niche status and lack of betting opportunities in recent years, I can't imagine this is too terribly well-researched.

Regardless, I'm with sjm on this. I would never bet on what is essentially an exhibition.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who sets these odds? Given pool's relative niche status and lack of betting opportunities in recent years, I can't imagine this is too terribly well-researched.
The bookies are not interested in getting the odds right, usually. They are interested in getting the bets to split evenly. I think the odds are very poorly aligned with reality, but may be well aligned with how people bet. This could be an opportunity.

The bookies have been giving odds on the MC from the start, I suspect. I know I could have placed a bet in 2012 when I saw it in York Hall in London. The curved ceiling reflected sound back from the crowd very well. :eek:

CropperCapture[127].png

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bookies are not interested in getting the odds right, usually. They are interested in getting the bets to split evenly. I think the odds are very poorly aligned with reality, but may be well aligned with how people bet. This could be an opportunity.

The bookies have been giving odds on the MC from the start, I suspect. I know I could have placed a bet in 2012 when I saw it in York Hall in London. The curved ceiling reflected sound back from the crowd very well. :eek:

View attachment 672287
I was there in 10 & 12. York Hall is great. I like the vibe it has. Great for boxing too. Mcup out grew it. Lots of interesting history happened near there in WW2.

OverTheNut

So wish bookies worldwide would use decimal odds. So much easier.

USA odds:
Europe -225
USA +170

Decimal odds:
Europe 1.44 (put 1 on you get 1.44 back)
USA 2.7 (put 1 on you get 2.70 back)

Basically Europe strong-ish favs.

Europe to win 11-0
USA: +15,000
Decimal: 151.0 (put 1 on you get 151 back)

There's a zillion odds converter sites. This one does US/Fractional/Decimal well. Plus explains it.