How Long To Adjust To A Different Shaft?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been experimenting with 3 different shafts recently, all with varied levels of deflection. I’d been playing with a Mezz EXPro shaft for a number of years, but have been in a slump of late so I decided to switch things up. I’m 65 and I’ve been playing pool 50+ years.

After taking a break for about a month and not playing at all, about two weeks ago I tried the Mezz carbon fiber Ignite shaft, but found that it deflected more than the EXPro and I’m not crazy about the sound and feel of carbon fiber so that choice only lasted a week or so.

Now for the last few practice sessions I’m using the Mezz WX900 shaft - the thinnest of the 3 with a conical taper. It clearly deflects the least of the 3, and as I like to utilize significant spin for positioning when needed, I think this is the shaft I’m going to stick with.

I’m just curious from those of you that have experimented with different shafts with different degrees of deflection, how long do you think it takes playing / practicing with a different shaft until you really start to feel comfortable / confidence with it, particularly in a tournament situation under pressure, when it really counts?

I’m hoping just a few weeks - maybe a half dozen or so 2-3 hour practice sessions, but I don’t know if that’s a realistic expectation? I’m sure I’ll find out, possibly the hard way.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time is different for everyone, when I got new car, shifter moved to new position. Took month of grabbing for air shifter. Now it’s second nature.
Yeah, I’m quite aware that feeling comfortable with it in a tournament match situation will take considerably longer than feeling comfortable with it in a practice session.

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time is different for everyone, when I got new car, shifter moved to new position. Took month of grabbing for air shifter. Now it’s second nature.
If you are going to be executed by injection, clean up your cell real neat. Then, when they come in to get you, say, "Injection? I thought you said inspection." They'd probably feel real bad, and maybe you could get out of it.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I’ve been experimenting with 3 different shafts recently, all with varied levels of deflection. I’d been playing with a Mezz EXPro shaft for a number of years, but have been in a slump of late so I decided to switch things up. I’m 65 and I’ve been playing pool 50+ years.

After taking a break for about a month and not playing at all, about two weeks ago I tried the Mezz carbon fiber Ignite shaft, but found that it deflected more than the EXPro and I’m not crazy about the sound and feel of carbon fiber so that choice only lasted a week or so.

Now for the last few practice sessions I’m using the Mezz WX900 shaft - the thinnest of the 3 with a conical taper. It clearly deflects the least of the 3, and as I like to utilize significant spin for positioning when needed, I think this is the shaft I’m going to stick with.

I’m just curious from those of you that have experimented with different shafts with different degrees of deflection, how long do you think it takes playing / practicing with a different shaft until you really start to feel comfortable / confidence with it, particularly in a tournament situation under pressure, when it really counts?

I’m hoping just a few weeks - maybe a half dozen or so 2-3 hour practice sessions, but I don’t know if that’s a realistic expectation? I’m sure I’ll find out, possibly the hard way.
Realistically you have to play a lot with it. You'll want to go back to old faithful when something odd happens. I think it took me about 2 months until mine felt like a natural extension of my body like my old cue did. I was playing goodish with it after about 3 weeks, but it took a bit longer to truly trust it.

I was going from a McDermott solid maple to a Kielwood LD shaft. It was my first LD experience.

I usually play about 3-4 nights a week anywhere from 4-6 hours. Not structured practice, but short races, like races to 3 with two other people or races to 5 or 7 if only with one other person. You don't have to HAMB but I'd guess you have to hit a few thousand to get fully tuned into a new shaft.

Zerksies

Lots of variables on this. With a full commitment to a new shaft I would say about two weeks on average. The crappier you play the less time that is needed

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've found it to be a ramp up. I'd measure in terms of how many 3-4 hour sessions. Session 1, 80-90%. Session 2, 90%. Session 3, 95%. After that you'll effectively be at 100% although it's possible you might have an occasional distracting doubt for a week or two more. So I think you're right on with two weeks to be totally fine.

Oddly enough it can be beneficial. It can help you really dial in on the feel of the cue and to put more focus and effort into each shot. My first tournament win that was meaningful to me was day 3 of switching to a low deflection shaft back in 2005. Every time I used sidespin I had to remind myself it wasn't going to deflect as much and really double check my connection with the shot. I played my best pool and broke through to the next level that weekend.

Bottom line, 2-3 sessions and a strong level of focus and you'll clean up.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will just depend on the deflection your use too. For a tournament, just to be safe. a good 3 weeks of practice, before you will be comfortable with it. I would say.

phreaticus

I've found it to be a ramp up. I'd measure in terms of how many 3-4 hour sessions. Session 1, 80-90%. Session 2, 90%. Session 3, 95%. After that you'll effectively be at 100% although it's possible you might have an occasional distracting doubt for a week or two more. So I think you're right on with two weeks to be totally fine.

Oddly enough it can be beneficial. It can help you really dial in on the feel of the cue and to put more focus and effort into each shot. My first tournament win that was meaningful to me was day 3 of switching to a low deflection shaft back in 2005. Every time I used sidespin I had to remind myself it wasn't going to deflect as much and really double check my connection with the shot. I played my best pool and broke through to the next level that weekend.

Bottom line, 2-3 sessions and a strong level of focus and you'll clean up.
This about matches what it takes for me to get totally in touch with a new shaft also, but this even goes for when I get a new tip also. A few solo sessions and I'm good to go, few days, maybe a week... which for me includes breaking in a new tip.

I noticed in your original post you mentioned "not crazy about the sound and feel of carbon fiber" - just FYI, I felt exactly the same way the first few CF shafts I tried, but there is a pretty wide variety among CF - not all sound and feel the same. Not pushing you to CF, but just offering up the perspective that just like maple shafts of different makes, tapers, ferrule materials, tip types, etc - takes a while to find what you might like. Some CF shafts sound and feel much more like wood than others. Many CF threads where specific recommendations are given, etc. One issue for me, is that I don't like the uber short vault plate style ferrules that are common on most new stuff. I get the need for lower mass LD, yatta yatta, but over time I've realized that I like a 1/2" white ferrule best, probably because I use the tip a lot in my style of aiming. So part of the selection process for me was finding newer style CF shafts in the 12.5 mm zone with a traditional long pro taper that sounded and felt more like wood and actually have a ferrule. That originally brought me to the Meucci and Cynergy... Over time time I've settled on the Cynergy and have replaced the ferrules on them with 1/2" ones that I find visually more appealing and don't seem to affect the playability/LD characteristics at all.

Maybe I'm the minority, but when I pick up a shaft/cue - I usually know if I'm going to love it or not after just a few balls. Every shaft/cue has its own personality and get-to-know period, but overall - if I don't immediately love the look & feel of a shaft, it's just not for me and not worth investing any more time with.

Good luck on your journey!

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I say 1 full month with the same cue/ shaft
I also say if you don't like a hit today you will never like it
I ordered a custom waited over two years from a Top Cue maker Quality was second to none the first hit I said to myself oh shit really?
Tried with all my heart to like the cue/hit had to sell it

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say 1 full month with the same cue/ shaft
I also say if you don't like a hit today you will never like it
I ordered a custom waited over two years from a Top Cue maker Quality was second to none the first hit I said to myself oh shit really?
Tried with all my heart to like the cue/hit had to sell it
That's why i quit ordering hi-end stuff. If i can't hit it i'm not buying.

xX-Wizard-Xx

come on ... it shouldnt take much time at all ... maybe a few games
Bugs Rucker didnt even own a cue and he was a great player ... no matter what cue he used

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
come on ... it shouldnt take much time at all ... maybe a few games
Bugs Rucker didnt even own a cue and he was a great player ... no matter what cue he used
tend to agree. back when i got my richard black i adjusted to it in about an hour.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience::

I played with a 314-1 (with logo) for 4 years and then bought a Z2 for my birthday. At my table at home the two seemed almost identical. However when I went out for team play, my game went seriously down hill until a full 6 months had gone by.

I played with the Z2 for a few years and then bought a Z2 S-tuned shaft (also for my birthday). once again it took a long time to get my game back to its peak form (at least 3 months of solid play).

In both cases the symptoms were the same:: a tough shot requiring both finesse and spin were "blown" due to some seemingly minor differences between the shafts.

Maybe some people can change shafts and never find themselves behind the 8-ball (sic) but not me.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience::

I played with a 314-1 (with logo) for 4 years and then bought a Z2 for my birthday. At my table at home the two seemed almost identical. However when I went out for team play, my game went seriously down hill until a full 6 months had gone by.

I played with the Z2 for a few years and then bought a Z2 S-tuned shaft (also for my birthday). once again it took a long time to get my game back to its peak form (at least 3 months of solid play).

In both cases the symptoms were the same:: a tough shot requiring both finesse and spin were "blown" due to some seemingly minor differences between the shafts.

Maybe some people can change shafts and never find themselves behind the 8-ball (sic) but not me.
Agreed - key shots always come up in a match that you need to have 100% assurance that the amount of deflection you are compensating for in your aiming is absolutely precise.

I’m mainly referring to playing on tables with 4-1/2” or smaller corners, a long nearly straight in shot you’ve left yourself ane the only way you can get shape on your next ball is to fire it with velocity, usually applying considerable high inside or low outside, using the spin, speed and cushions to maneuver your cue ball to get the necessary shape for your next ball, without jarring the ball in the pocket.

100% confidence in knowing exactly how much your cue ball will deflect off line is needed to successfully execute these types of shots. It just takes time to learn that with a different shaft.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i have a rack of different cues at home. i change from one to the other with almost no change in my game. a couple warm up strokes to feel the different shaft and butt.

phreaticus

i have a rack of different cues at home. i change from one to the other with almost no change in my game. a couple warm up strokes to feel the different shaft and butt.
Yeah, this pretty much sums it up for me also.

phreaticus

Agreed - key shots always come up in a match that you need to have 100% assurance that the amount of deflection you are compensating for in your aiming is absolutely precise.

I’m mainly referring to playing on tables with 4-1/2” or smaller corners, a long nearly straight in shot you’ve left yourself ane the only way you can get shape on your next ball is to fire it with velocity, usually applying considerable high inside or low outside, using the spin, speed and cushions to maneuver your cue ball to get the necessary shape for your next ball, without jarring the ball in the pocket.

100% confidence in knowing exactly how much your cue ball will deflect off line is needed to successfully execute these types of shots. It just takes time to learn that with a different shaft.
No disrespect or confrontation intended to you and the previous poster, but I always have the same question when I see folks questioning the minor differences in cues…

So using your guys’ description of tough shots requiring finesse, spin & power - when one of these is blown, how can you tell its due to minor deflection differences of the shaft that you’re theoretically not used to & accommodating properly for yet? As opposed to say hitting the CB a fraction of a mm off from where you intended, minor head movement, mental distraction, minor stance/alignment offset, minor deceleration of the stroke, or a booger in the cloth? Such shots are challenging for all of us, can you shoot them in at 100% rate with your favorite trusted cue?

I think its a mindset issue. When I miss, my first thought is just “Damn, I suck”. Not - “that damn cue deflected 1.3% more than my old betty that I used to shoot with”…

Personally I’m much more sensitive to how the cue physically feels in my hands; taper, smoothness, balance, weight, and especially the feel of the tip. I honestly don’t worry how much it deflects and don’t consciously change anything about my stroke/aim when using different cues/shafts, even when they are wildly different styles. Cue will just feel different at first and I just quickly get used to it. I’ve tried to figure out how this can possibly be, when others are apparently so sensitive to deflection, but I’ve given up on it.

Clearly we all have different sensitivities and quirks, its all good.

✌️