Mosconi cup

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Honestly, we all know we don’t have the additional players right now that are going to make a significant difference. There’s a few up-and-coming juniors, but they are still a number of years away, and that’s only if they continue to develop and figure out a way to make a decent living playing pool as opposed to putting their efforts into something more lucrative.

Still, fact is the Mosconi Cup is set up so that anything can happen. We have players that have enough talent and skill to pull off enough upsets in the short race format, but do we have 5 players that can deal with the MC pressure on the big stage? That only comes with having been there and succeeded, and as of right now we only have 2, and they both lost today when we really needed them.
If I were choosing players I would include a couple of veterans who have been battling in the trenches for years. These guys are warriors who fear no one. Give me Tony Chohan and Josh Roberts for instance. They will get some points for you. And they can handle any kind of pressure. But what do I know? 😜

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple guys from my neck of the woods, Shane McMinn and John Gabriel, play really sporty on a 9ft. I think either one can beat Chohan playing 9b on a big box. Shane almost made the team a couple yrs ago. Can flat dab it.

Reactions: bbb

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A couple of random thoughts in conclusion. First of all we must find another option for watching this in the American market. I am convinced the audience is out there, and one the networks covet.

What you didn’t see was the make-up/demographic of the audience in Las Vegas. Maybe only 10-15 percent were over 50 and the great majority in their 20’s and 30’s, similar in age to the players. The 20-45 year old age group is very attractive to advertisers and sponsors. And it appears they are beginning to really appreciate pool and the spectacle of the MC.

I doubt I’m the only one who noticed that. Matchroom and other major promoters should be capitalizing on this new reality. It is a selling point for their programming.

Barry Hearn said it very succinctly. If you get more money in the game (I.e. prize money) more young kids will want to be pool players. You can forget about the Olympics! That’s been a total waste of time and resources. I’ve been saying much the same thing for decades and felt like a lone wolf in the wilderness.

CanadianGuy

I noticed the Americans were often lamenting their missed shots with the associated droopy faces, of course Earl did this the best

this speaks to poor coaching, JJ appeared to be hesitant to ever say anything to Earl

the Euros were literally laughing about many of their missed shots

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I
Couple guys from my neck of the woods, Shane McMinn and John Gabriel, play really sporty on a 9ft. I think either one can beat Chohan playing 9b on a big box. Shane almost made the team a couple yrs ago. Can flat dab it.
I’d like to see them get a shot, but the reality is they must be willing to get out there and play in ranking events! No chance of getting chosen otherwise.

YukonCornelius

Registered
A couple of random thoughts in conclusion. First of all we must find another option for watching this in the American market. I am convinced the audience is out there, and one the networks covet.

What you didn’t see was the make-up/demographic of the audience in Las Vegas. Maybe only 10-15 percent were over 50 and the great majority in their 20’s and 30’s, similar in age to the players. The 20-45 year old age group is very attractive to advertisers and sponsors. And it appears they are beginning to really appreciate pool and the spectacle of the MC.

I doubt I’m the only one who noticed that. Matchroom and other major promoters should be capitalizing on this new reality. It is a selling point for their programming.

Barry Hearn said it very succinctly. If you get more money in the game (I.e. prize money) more young kids will want to be pool players. You can forget about the Olympics! That’s been a total waste of time and resources. I’ve been saying much the same thing for decades and felt like a lone wolf in the wilderness.
Thanks again for your insight throughout the tourney, Jay. I really appreciate. Same to everyone else who was helping to keep us guys that didn’t get the stream keep up to date.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to those of you giving us updated from the scene.

For those wishy washy American fans who still insist we don't have a chance...🖕 ...we played a dream team full of world champions, and we were further handicapped by putting crazy uncle earl on the team, who was more concerned that pool venues don't have air blowers for his sweaty hands like the bowling alleys do. We gave them one hell of a fight.

Our guys fought their guts out and you can not convince me that they were outclassed or didn't have a chance.

Sky was beating alcaide like a drum with a chance to go up 4-1 with the break. The entire day turned on that missed shot. Momentum in sports is a real thing.

Congrats Europe. Tip of the hat. Can't wait until next year.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe a guy like Shane Wolford should get a chance. He is young and improving.

Also, perhaps guys like Jesse Engel or Josh Roberts should be given a chance. They are solid players.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot Styer missed was very reminiscent of the 5 ball Zielinski missed in the recent straight pool tournament. Easy to do when you’re trying to manufacture position with a firm stroke.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed the Americans were often lamenting their missed shots with the associated droopy faces, of course Earl did this the best

this speaks to poor coaching, JJ appeared to be hesitant to ever say anything to Earl

the Euros were literally laughing about many of their missed shots
Perhaps it was not a coincidence that the two years they won were ones where Johan was the coach.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ll be interested in the stats once AtLarge puts ‘em out.
At your service:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were choosing players I would include a couple of veterans who have been battling in the trenches for years. These guys are warriors who fear no one. Give me Tony Chohan and Josh Roberts for instance. They will get some points for you. And they can handle any kind of pressure. But what do I know? 😜

there are differing opinions on how money match pressure translates to MC pressure, but both of those players have qualities. tony pushed JL chang to hill-hill in 10-ball a year ago. another guy who seems to stay in action is mitch ellerman. i think the least you can ask though is that they enter the ranking events on US soil, such as the int'l open and the US open.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I said it before, and I will say it again. Shane McMinn has no chance to make the Mosconi Cup, as his weight makes him a very poor choice for marketing the game to the younger demographic. His current appearance reinforces all the negative stereotypes of pool players in the public eye. Matchrroom wants to market pool players as the supreme athletes they are, and are not going to put an extremely obese, out of shape pool player on television if they can in any way avoid it.

I know this is harsh, but it is the blunt reality of the marketing/economics.

realtor1618

Registered
I honestly don't know what incentive I, as a USA fan, have to continue watching the Mosconi Cup in the future. It's amazing that the US did as well as they did this year. But picking Earl and Oscar to be on this year's team is like a slap in the face to anyone who wants to watch a cup where the US has even a shred of a chance to win. I think I might be tuning out in the future.
Oscar wasnt picked. He earned his spot. He put in the time and travel that others weren’t willing to do. It’s a slap in his face to say otherwise

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay, do you think "team pool" like mosconi cup or dare i say bonus ball is the way forward to get pool on tv. I think it's more exciting and watchable then the individual tournaments.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wait til next year when Fedor and Wiktor join Team Europe! Fun times ahead for USA 😎
We’d struggle going against just a Team Poland. I definitely don’t like the US chances against a Team China or a Team Taiwan either. Team Germany ? Team Austria? Team Spain?

If Emily and team decide to do a World Cup of sorts, then that would be a rebirth (of Don Mackey’s World Team Billiards. He’d probably view it as a stolen idea.