Modern Era Tournament Slow Play - (a rant)

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Lately I've been watching a lot of the old 9-ball matches and Accustats stuff from the 1980's - early 1990's. Wow...what a refresher and much needed reminder of how far this sport has declined in terms of quality for the fans. First of all, there was a lot of great play back then. Contrary to the modern hype artists, this current generation did not progress the game a whole lot. Only in certain specific areas that are frankly, not that important.

Whatever progress was made, has been completely negated by the new culture of tournament match play which is painfully slow.

We live in an era of extremes because of this. Either it's the most painful, boring slow play, like race to 9 and race to 11 alternate break 9-ball that takes 3+ hours to conclude a match...or, because of this kind of absurd slow poke play that's simply impossible to televise even for a European audience, there's shot-clock pool which is also awful. Between the two evils, I take the shot-clock, but I do not enjoy it because it's not optimal play - more on that below.

The American and Filipino players from the previous generation did it better. No shot clock, but they didn't abuse and slow play either. This way...on the obvious shots, routine shots, easy shots, ones with clear position patterns ...they got up there and would shoot relatively quickly. Even a 'methodical' player of the past is faster than these guys these days. HOWEVER, whenever there was a legitimate tough shot, tricky position play, or something that had the player thinking to make a tough decision on a critical shot - they took their time. And that's OK. Because as fans, we're also brainstorming the shot possibilities and have the suspense of what might happen next. That's why that particular "time" doesn't feel slow or painful. There's almost a different "time dilation" given the scenario based on expectations. We don't do that on absolutely straight forward routine shots...that why these guys are murdering the sport. When the fans know the shot, know the pattern, and it's clear as can be, but watch some dood pace around and look at everything 3x over, and just stall it's death to the sport.

Anyway, it's not a big deal to watch an previous gen player like say Varner or Archer take a couple of minutes to figure out a shot in a tough situation, because they make up for it by shooting everything else at normal speed without delay. That was true of most all the players of that era. That's the beauty of those days. The faster over all play provided a "reserve" or "balance" of time players could dip into when the scenario legitimately called for it and it did not aggravate fans because the slow play in justified scenarios was in an appropriate context. This is what we saw in the Earl vs Efren race to 120 COM in 1996. They knew the shots, they got up there and shot them. No unnecessary delays. All pros know these shots. Just shoot them. However, in certain spots here and there, they would take a little longer. That's ok! You shot 8 out of 9 shots in the rack in seconds each, and so no one cares if you take a minute to look at one of them.

The previous generation we got the best of both worlds....a nice pace of play, and no compromising of the game due to silly shot clocks. That's the problem with the shot-clock, even with extensions for the tough situations, that's not enough time usually for pros to make the absolute most optimal choice and stroke in those scenarios. So we're cheated out of the best play. We get yet another "luck" component brought into the game that already has too much luck in it already - that is, a player has a tough situation they might have prevailed in but the clock got them. Certain tough kicks takes even a well seasoned pro time to size up and measure and visualize. Well, you lost the beauty of that with the shot clock. But hey, lot of great kicks are gone because they just pull out the overly abused jump cue (a rant for another thread, and I'm ok with jump cues too).

This of course is a trade off for not having to watch some slow-pokes stare for 3 minutes at a standard routine shot that an APA SL3 would know how to make within seconds and could do so. Those players ruined the game. Call Earl whatever you want, but when he says those players should have been quote "punished" he's right. Promoters of the game don't have to have to have everyone in there anymore than the NFL, WWE or anything else does. Boot this cancer out of the game. Don't invite them to tournaments. There needs to be discrimination. Pool does not need to be a democracy or truly "open" ... promoters are like employers and players are like employees. It's like that in all other sports. Sadly, there's no backbone to do that so instead they just enforce with the "lesser of evils" shot-clock.

That's what we're left with today....you can go watch a non-televised modern pro tournament in person and experience pool at the speed of tectonic plate drift with these troll players trying to ice their opponent to death, or we can watch this cringe worthy shot-clock pool with horrendous count-down warning beeps being played through loud speakers leading to circus style gimmick pool.

And yes, most of the blame is to be attributed to the Europeans for this. I really hope for a revival of American pool, not for any kind of nationalistic pride, but to reclaim the culture of the game and hopefully salvage it from this nonsense.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Some continue to deny this but the fact is that this style of play leads to a higher level of play. This means that most of the top players are going to end up having this style, and that will likely continue to become even more and more true as time goes on. It also means that they obviously aren't ever going to voluntarily be going back to the styles of the past.

As a result we will forever more be stuck with either the slower play, or some form of a time clock, and you are right in that they both come with their unique and significant drawbacks. Might as well just accept it and get used to it though because there will never again be any other choices moving forward. All that can be done now is to decide which of the two is best, and if it is some form of time clock, which time clock particulars are most ideal with all things considered.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Some continue to deny this but the fact is that this style of play leads to a higher level of play. This means that most of the top players are going to end up having this style, and that will likely continue to become even more and more true as time goes on. It also means that they obviously aren't ever going to voluntarily be going back to the styles of the past.

As a result we will forever more be stuck with either the slower play, or some form of a time clock, and you are right in that they both come with their unique and significant drawbacks. Might as well just accept it and get used to it though because there will never again be any other choices moving forward. All that can be done now is to decide which of the two is best, and if it is some form of time clock, which time clock particulars are most ideal with all things considered.

I have heard the argument that this kind of painful slow play equates to higher level play by some of my European friends. I'm not sure I can agree after comparing to a faster pace of play done by previous greats and hall of famers. So long as great and elite play exists at a faster pace, this debunks slow play as causative since it isn't exclusive to it.

There was no shortage of rack running power in the past. These guys used to string many racks together. The previous gen players were able to process the table visually and make shot and position decisions faster and still get the same results. 6 and 7 packs were done by guys in the 1970's and 1980's too.

When I watch a guy like Earl in his prime moving about the table, how is his play any more primitive or of a lower level than today's players?

Even Buddy Hall played faster than most of these guys, and none of these guys plays better position play than he did in his prime. Some of the elite might equal it, but not better. What justifies then this slow play? Can anyone here show me how the slow-poke Euros get better lines, zones and distance in position play than Buddy in his prime? (good luck)

Slow play ≠ better play.

To be clear, the slow pokes today don't have a longer or excessive warm up stroke routine once they are down on the table.

The slowness is in the pre-shot routine. They walk around the table excessively. They repeatedly check angles they've already checked. They keep reassessing patterns even when they didn't get out of line. In other words, after an initial assessment to begin a pattern, they haven't got out of line requiring a plan-B or improvise or change of plan, they do a whole full reassessment. I can even grant them a quick reminder pause so they don't blunder due to extreme concentration in shot execution causing them to forget what they planned in the previous assessment. That can happen. No, they spend enough time as if it's their first time at the table planning it all out. Over and over and over again. They just stare at things on the table at times, motionless. It's absurd. It's also insulting to the audience and the fans. They are supposed to be professionals. There's nothing professional about taking 3 minutes to shoot a shot that non-pros can execute correctly and routinely at a better pace. We know they aren't incompetent, so what gives?

I was watching a match that Earl was somewhat commentating on. Earl complained about this very thing. He says "Ralf you know you're not going to shoot that shot so why are you looking at it" ..Ralf Souquet walked over and looked at the point of contact of shooting a ball into the side pocket after he did all the looking and assessing shooting it into the corner pocket. An amateur might say "he's looking at all his options"

NO.

There are no other options and he knows it too, because in this scenario, it's not even a possibility in any scenario whatsoever to shoot into the side pocket because there's no position play to be had shooting in the side given where the next ball was. The shot was in the corner. It was not one of these "could go either way" or "it could be done both ways" situations. Not at all. It was 100% only one choice.

So why he looking at it? Was it some kind of nervous energy? Is it a "just checking" thing? There's no just checking, there's only one position route. Now Ralf isn't that bad....I just using him as an example. There's much worse than him out there. Watch some of these lesser known Euro players...it's torture. The stuff they are looking at is just superfluous to what needs to be done at the table. Objectively speaking, there's simply no justification for what they are doing on a lot of these shots.

This is why players get accused of using this as a sharking tactic. It's intended to trigger other players and also slow things down. It's garbage. We all know that it's tougher to make a great shot coming out of the chair if you been there for a while and in the world of 14.1 due to the nature of long runs, this reality was well known. I believe these guys do the math, and if they can tack on so many extra seconds or even minutes to each shot, it adds up so that 2-3 racks of time is a lot longer for their opponent to sit in a chair getting cold. They are bringing this into the world of 9 ball.

Figure, the previous generation could go through a 3 rack run in about 10 minutes of play time. Not uncommon. These new guys will milk it to 30 minutes....sometimes more. WTH

Even in the late 1990's, I was watching from Charlie Williams put a 7 pack on a guy and he did it at a very brisk pace. There were challenging position plays in some of those racks, these racks weren't all no-brainers. Yet he could process the patterns, make decisions, assess the table and go shot to shot without making my hair turn gray during the match. It was fast, and exciting to watch. Euros? Whether it's the hardest shot of the match, or a duck sitting in front of a pocket, they will make you wait equally long for all of them. It's just a lame tactic.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply. You're probably right - this turtle pace mockery of the game is here to stay, which is another reason why pool will keep losing market share and keep declining. I don't have to get used to it, I will not watch or support it. I'll watch older matches or select ones by serious players that aren't wasting their time or mine.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
And yes, most of the blame is to be attributed to the Europeans for this. I really hope for a revival of American pool, not for any kind of nationalistic pride, but to reclaim the culture of the game and hopefully salvage it from this nonsense.
Funny... I would have gone with the Filipinos with this. If you don't enforce a shot clock, Dennis, Biado, DeLuna and Gomez will make you stab your own eyes out.

Most of the Euros are simply dialed in for the 30s shot clock, and other than Kaci don't bleed every situation for more camera time.

A more deliberate style of play will result in less errors due to a lack of focus. It will also allow a truly elite player to consider options that lesser players simply can't comprehend. The latter is a reality even if we would like to believe we have a good handle on the game.

Using Earl as your bar for spd, simply isn't a good comparison. The man was quick by nearly everyone else's standard. Besides, maybe there's a correlation to the USA poor results internationally and the preconceived quicker pace they play at....? If winning vs losing came down to taking another 10sec per shot, what would you do...?

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Even in the late 1990's, I was watching from Charlie Williams put a 7 pack on a guy and he did it at a very brisk pace. There were challenging position plays in some of those racks, these racks weren't all no-brainers. Yet he could process the patterns, make decisions, assess the table and go shot to shot without making my hair turn gray during the match. It was fast, and exciting to watch. Euros? Whether it's the hardest shot of the match, or a duck sitting in front of a pocket, they will make you wait equally long for all of them. It's just a lame tactic.
That's just good form. Every shot should be address equally. What you call a tactic is actually forced focus. Disregarding PSR because some viewer in the USA would shoot it quicker is lame.
Anyhow, thanks for the reply. You're probably right - this turtle pace mockery of the game is here to stay, which is another reason why pool will keep losing market share and keep declining. I don't have to get used to it, I will not watch or support it. I'll watch older matches or select ones by serious players that aren't wasting their time or mine.
The bolded is an American problem, and not an actual reality on the global scene.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The standard of play is much higher in my opinion. Hence the slower play, mistakes are punished far more severely. Very rarely do "FAST" players do well in tournaments. Of course, if there's a shot clock then everyone is under the shot clock. But like you said you don't get the best performances that you "COULD" get if there was no shot clock. Even a guy like Filler takes his time at appropriate times when a shot requires such high demand in accuracy/focus. The older matches, you just didn't see this. Plus, I found the tables had bucket pockets.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately I've been watching a lot of the old 9-ball matches and Accustats stuff from the 1980's - early 1990's. Wow...what a refresher and much needed reminder of how far this sport has declined in terms of quality for the fans. First of all, there was a lot of great play back then. Contrary to the modern hype artists, this current generation did not progress the game a whole lot. Only in certain specific areas that are frankly, not that important.

Whatever progress was made, has been completely negated by the new culture of tournament match play which is painfully slow.

We live in an era of extremes because of this. Either it's the most painful, boring slow play, like race to 9 and race to 11 alternate break 9-ball that takes 3+ hours to conclude a match...or, because of this kind of absurd slow poke play that's simply impossible to televise even for a European audience, there's shot-clock pool which is also awful. Between the two evils, I take the shot-clock, but I do not enjoy it because it's not optimal play - more on that below.

The American and Filipino players from the previous generation did it better. No shot clock, but they didn't abuse and slow play either. This way...on the obvious shots, routine shots, easy shots, ones with clear position patterns ...they got up there and would shoot relatively quickly. Even a 'methodical' player of the past is faster than these guys these days. HOWEVER, whenever there was a legitimate tough shot, tricky position play, or something that had the player thinking to make a tough decision on a critical shot - they took their time. And that's OK. Because as fans, we're also brainstorming the shot possibilities and have the suspense of what might happen next. That's why that particular "time" doesn't feel slow or painful. There's almost a different "time dilation" given the scenario based on expectations. We don't do that on absolutely straight forward routine shots...that why these guys are murdering the sport. When the fans know the shot, know the pattern, and it's clear as can be, but watch some dood pace around and look at everything 3x over, and just stall it's death to the sport.

Anyway, it's not a big deal to watch an previous gen player like say Varner or Archer take a couple of minutes to figure out a shot in a tough situation, because they make up for it by shooting everything else at normal speed without delay. That was true of most all the players of that era. That's the beauty of those days. The faster over all play provided a "reserve" or "balance" of time players could dip into when the scenario legitimately called for it and it did not aggravate fans because the slow play in justified scenarios was in an appropriate context. This is what we saw in the Earl vs Efren race to 120 COM in 1996. They knew the shots, they got up there and shot them. No unnecessary delays. All pros know these shots. Just shoot them. However, in certain spots here and there, they would take a little longer. That's ok! You shot 8 out of 9 shots in the rack in seconds each, and so no one cares if you take a minute to look at one of them.

The previous generation we got the best of both worlds....a nice pace of play, and no compromising of the game due to silly shot clocks. That's the problem with the shot-clock, even with extensions for the tough situations, that's not enough time usually for pros to make the absolute most optimal choice and stroke in those scenarios. So we're cheated out of the best play. We get yet another "luck" component brought into the game that already has too much luck in it already - that is, a player has a tough situation they might have prevailed in but the clock got them. Certain tough kicks takes even a well seasoned pro time to size up and measure and visualize. Well, you lost the beauty of that with the shot clock. But hey, lot of great kicks are gone because they just pull out the overly abused jump cue (a rant for another thread, and I'm ok with jump cues too).

This of course is a trade off for not having to watch some slow-pokes stare for 3 minutes at a standard routine shot that an APA SL3 would know how to make within seconds and could do so. Those players ruined the game. Call Earl whatever you want, but when he says those players should have been quote "punished" he's right. Promoters of the game don't have to have to have everyone in there anymore than the NFL, WWE or anything else does. Boot this cancer out of the game. Don't invite them to tournaments. There needs to be discrimination. Pool does not need to be a democracy or truly "open" ... promoters are like employers and players are like employees. It's like that in all other sports. Sadly, there's no backbone to do that so instead they just enforce with the "lesser of evils" shot-clock.

That's what we're left with today....you can go watch a non-televised modern pro tournament in person and experience pool at the speed of tectonic plate drift with these troll players trying to ice their opponent to death, or we can watch this cringe worthy shot-clock pool with horrendous count-down warning beeps being played through loud speakers leading to circus style gimmick pool.

You didn’t even mention that the pro’s slow play trickles down and results in slower play at all levels of amateur play, even non tournament casual amateur play, imitating the pro players.

Same thing has happened in golf, when the pros and now the golf ball manufacturers have those lines drawn around their golf balls resulting in players taking significant extra time aligning that line on their ball with their intended line to stroke the putt on, which many amateurs now do.

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tyler Styer is the poster boy for slow play. He couldn’t find his way to the men’s room without GPS and a roadmap.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Honestly I love 1P and sometimes they will take a minute or two on a tough shot, but they will play at a good clip on standard shots. But then to balance that they can get rewarded by leaving the ball by their pocket. If you leave a ball in a pocket in rotation games, you're boned.

I also remember that if they were taking a longer time in the past, in the better productions with the equipment, announcers would draw balls and lines on the table. Now we get some cliche sounding european guy talking nonsense over the lulls. Some announcers are good today but others really don't know how to fill a silence. Sometimes a silence doesn't need some dumb story or cliche saying spouted off for no reason but to fill silence.

Last edited:

Nick8400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow play is nothing new. For as long as I can remember, there has always been at least one slow player holding up the tournament brackets.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is this 'market share' you speak of? Pool doesn't have one in the first place so how can it lose it?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
people played with their hearts and went for broke back in the day....alot of the best pool players were also great showman.
Now we have a bunch of over-trained robots playing a percentage game.(almost like modern hold'em poker or they are trying to remember chess lines or something of the nature). I notice this with alot of the Chinese and eastern euro players. (Don't get me wrong they can fucking play) but they Basically never going for any shots with less than a 85 percent chance of making it.
Some of the older guys still active and competitive in the pro game are still really fun to watch. They have nothing to lose and nothing to proove.

these new kids for the most part are so scared of tough situations they always just play it safe. They are over trained.
Have some guts! For fuck sake. In less words have some B.D.C. (big phallus confidence) from time to time

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
people played with their hearts and went for broke back in the day....alot of the best pool players were also great showman.
Now we have a bunch of over-trained robots playing a percentage game.(almost like modern hold'em poker or they are trying to remember chess lines or something of the nature). I notice this with alot of the Chinese and eastern euro players. (Don't get me wrong they can fucking play) but they Basically never going for any shots with less than a 85 percent chance of making it.
Some of the older guys still active and competitive in the pro game are still really fun to watch. They have nothing to lose and nothing to proove.

these new kids for the most part are so scared of tough situations they always just play it safe. They are over trained.
Have some guts! For fuck sake.
Reason for the super-black script??? Have you played to eat/pay bills? I watch a lot of pool both in person and on video/streams. Players duck when they should imo. No excuse for slow play but when the level of play today is INSANELY high you can't just take a flyer. As for robots? Go watch Zelinski play. There are a fair amt. of slow/methodical players but there always has been. Go back and watch Buddy, Dick Lane for example. Slow play is nothing new.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If u want to pay the bills playing a game. Pools not the sport for it. Pretty tough living I know. And yes slow play is nothing new....what about all the times a guy named "Bob" thought he played it smart....you got up there and burned him with a great shot. That's what people remember. Who won the US open in 1994?, Nobody knows off the top of their head. (EFREN) But people remember those great shots they might have seen a player go for and make. That's what makes games great.
Sorry if bold print bothers you so much you had to call me out for it. It was a bold rant.
so I thought it would be appropriate all tho possibly viewed as stupid by someone such as yourself

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If u want to pay the bills playing a game. Pools not the sport for it. Pretty tough living I know. And yes slow play is nothing new....what about all the times a guy named "Bob" thought he played it smart....you got up there and burned him with a great shot. That's what people remember. Who won the US open in 1994?, Nobody knows off the top of their head. But people remember those great shots they might have seen a player go for. That's what makes games great.
Sorry if bold print bothers you so much you had to call me out for it. It was a bold rant.
so I thought it would be appropriate all tho possibly viewed as stupid by someone such as yourself
just asked a question.its obvious you've never played where eating or paying a bill was on the line. only funsy players hunting a patch or a trophy swing at stupid shots. relax there karen.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol wow....the forum is definitely yours sir. Ps I know what it's like to have to go down to the river and catch some catfish by myself to at the age of 13 to have meat to eat for the family. I work hard for a living. My health is my wealth. Not everyone is blessed enuff to spend all day in the pool hall training. 99.9 percent of us play because we love it. It's got nothing to do with paying bills. Your action dries up get your ass to work like everybody else

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol wow....the forum is definitely yours sir. Ps I know what it's like to have to go down to the river and catch some catfish by myself to at the age of 13 to have meat to eat for the family. I work hard for a living. My health is my wealth. Not everyone is blessed enuff to spend all day in the pool hall training. 99.9 percent of us play because we love it. It's got nothing to do with paying bills. Your action dries up get your ass to work like everybody else
Hey, a post without the BLACK text. Making progress. Just kiddin man. Your initial post talked about pros from what i gathered. They DO play to eat/pay bills. There have always been slower players. People watched a lot of Earl back in the day and i guess they just assumed all pro play was at that speed. Well, it wasn't. Later......................

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agree with the sentiment here that slow play is a problem in today's game. The last generation kept things moving over the table and this generation isn't sufficiently committed to doing so.

Shot clocks help but cannot easily be used in every match as the resources don't exist to pay for it. I'm hoping that if pool becomes a more lucrative business for event producers, that will change at some point.

One thing is for sure, though, if the shot clock is not in use, I won't watch a streamed match.

I disagree with those that suggest that the quality of play rises when plyers take more time. Even the slowest players, like Ralf Souquet, have always played just as well when the shot clock was on.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have another opinion on why it's not lucrative for most. As far as Sponsors go. Some guys in big open tournaments look like they just rolled off a park bench ....or just got off the steet corner selling dope .for lack of better terms...and lots of seedy shit going on behind the scenes in parking Lots or back rooms .if pool wants big corporate sponsors the game and its players gotta clean up and present itself a little better. Then the money will come in.
Right now the only thing I see promoting pool is Pool related businesses. There is no Chevy or state farm or such and such bank putting money out for players....(pretty much all the top pros act professional) . But other players and spectators at events not so much. Pools a great game...the greats deserve better. What they do on the table is amazing.