pool glasses

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been covered before but....
The balls are getting a little fuzzy for me I thought these rimless big round lenses would work.
Anyone try these?
I know there are dedicated big glasses for pool but I think they are like $500 or so so thats out.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been covered before but....
The balls are getting a little fuzzy for me I thought these rimless big round lenses would work.
Anyone try these?
I know there are dedicated big glasses for pool but I think they are like $500 or so so thats out.
I know what you mean about fuzzy, I should wear glasses but don`t. When the six ball is on or near the rail I cannot see the edge. I used to focus on a spot on the object ball but now I line up and decide if it feels right. Doesn`t work on thin cuts though. I cannot get used to glasses.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
To me.... good vision is more important than a good cue.
Personally I never liked the Bullwinkle Glasses.

I feel it's important the lens in not FLAT, and the rim only runs from 9 to 3 o'clock.
Search for my old post, I have pics an needed info.

When I get my annual eye ck, I ask them ( no extra charge) to also, give me a single vision lens prescription with a 10' focal point.
Been using these frames for over 20 years, they look nice, and structurally are Sound.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those won't help unless your eyes are 6" from what you want to see.
They're simply a magnifying lens.

I don't think there's a cheap way around the problem. Prescription lenses is the only way I think.
The shape is a decent idea. I used to wear a similar shape.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a pair in 1.5 strength.
For $22.00 I'm going to give them a try.
Amazon will allow returns if they dont work out.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those won't help unless your eyes are 6" from what you want to see.
They're simply a magnifying lens.

I don't think there's a cheap way around the problem. Prescription lenses is the only way I think.
The shape is a decent idea. I used to wear a similar shape.
I use 1.5 reading glasses. They're good for close up(a foot or less) work like reading, computer use. Not designed for further out like playing pool. Need to go see an eye doc and get the right prescrip.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
10' fixed focal point single vision lens, been doing this for over 20 yrs....
I used to have a 11', but shortened it. I'm 6'6''.
I'd recommend a 9' focal point for those who are not as tall.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Registered
I recently purchased a pair from Curran. I did a bit of looking around and found that most of the Pro’s used them. Well worth the cost and they are custom made for you.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have been around this block a few times. Fortunately, now, believe or not, at age 69 my eyes have improved to the point where I no longer need glasses for pool. However I had past extensive experience with Curran Glasses for pool and the Decote Hy - Wyds from years ago ( Shooting glasses converted to pool glasses).

Some people like Curran or De Cotes - I found both were a problem for me bc they always leaned somewhat against my eyebrow area and the lenses got messy - smudged up from facial oils, no matter what I did to adjust either brand. So I gave up and went to contacts full time.

Thankfully now I am eye- glass and contact lenses free-- but I do know many people who swear by Curran eye wear. Please note that he did use drill through lenses for the frame and most optical places will not touch drill through lenses for replacement; if your eyes change over time- so he owns you in terms of his prices.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a pair in 1.5 strength.
For $22.00 I'm going to give them a try.
Amazon will allow returns if they dont work out.
Got the glasses and they worked great,I could see the edges of the balls from close up to 9 feet away,I played much better.

1674391712516.png

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got the glasses and they worked great,I could see the edges of the balls from close up to 9 feet away,I played much better.

View attachment 683080
Interesting.

I was assuming they would be set up like reading glasses and wouldn’t work as mentioned above.

I’m 51 and used to play in glasses over 20 years ago. Then I played in contacts for 16 - 18 years. The last few years, I’ve played without either, because my left eye came back near 20/20 and my right eye is slowly headed in that direction. Eye doc said my left eye leads looking far off and my right eye leads when looking close up.

For the most part, this has worked pretty well for me on the pool table. I don’t see the balls as crisp as I did as a teen or mid twenties guy, but I see them good enough to focus on the current spot object ball. With a few exceptions…..if I’ve been up a while and have tired eyes this is no good. If I drink more than 2 or 3 alcoholic beverages this is no good, and not because I’m drunk, it just naturally starts distorting my vision. And really bright LED lights for a pool table can be a problem as well, seems like it’s easier to focus when a table has the old school fluorescent lights.

I may end up trying something like this down the road, so thanks for the thread and the feedback.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 683080
Glad to hear. So do these magnify or just make the balls clearer for you. I had a stroke on January 9th a stint put in on the 11th. Went in with a slight cataract in my left eye and came out about twice as bad
I’ve worn glasses forever and am just looking for an edge til I can get the surgery.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear. So do these magnify or just make the balls clearer for you. I had a stroke on January 9th a stint put in on the 11th. Went in with a slight cataract in my left eye and came out about twice as bad
I’ve worn glasses forever and am just looking for an edge til I can get the surgery.
At 1.5 power I noticed no magnification just could see the balls much clearer.
It really helped on thin cuts.