how are ya'll doing in league ?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
You and about a million others. The most common gripe seems to center around inaccurate handicapping. I could write a post about the leagues I was in, but it would probably be longer than a John Barton rant!
for me i just pissed me royally off to play on them, ill be having nice 6-7 ball outs with perfect little stop shots for position, the other dude, just going around, ok that one, that one that one, doesnt care how many of his balls are tied to mine,

he missed the 8, left me up table with just a 3 ball combo crooked line, 8 ball sitting infront of the side, impossible to play safe, impossible to make a shot, i should have just done like they would have and slammed the table and make something stupid happen.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The pockets are so huge you should never miss then. What's your gripe again? Lol
im the magical player that gives low shit players the ability to run out who have never run out before.
every 4-5 i play on the black hole pocket tables cant miss, and i get left with no way to make a shot.
i guess though im the only one that misses on a valley?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We won the Division 9-ball Championship last night. I couldn't be prouder of this team. We were playing the team that finished the session in first. They're a powerhouse. They have 97754321. The 9 is Fargo 644... They ran away with the session, easily. We finished the season in 3rd, and squeeked out a win vs #2 in the first round of playoffs to get to the final.

We have 75444333. Add to that, our 7 is out of town. Our Captain decided to go low, 44333, and it worked. One of our 3s actually beat the 9, hill hill. To be fair, he and one of our other 3s probably ought to be 4s, and likely will be soon, this was their second session, and they're starting to get it, not just making shots.

I'm really hoping we can catch this sort of magic when the Vegas qualifier comes around in June. But regardless, that was a special night.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
A guy in my league who won singles out in Vegas last spring as an SL 5/5 is now a 7/9.

That was...quick?
Maybe he was in his first session or two, and the computer finally caught up. Or maybe he was watched by folks out there and bumped up. Or a little of both.

Or just applied himself and got better.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I actually had my best league night literally ever last Wednesday...lol

It's a CCS(ACS) league that follows the BCA format of scoring/handicapping. My team won the round points 6-0, and I had nearly a perfect night.

I went 17+17+16+17+17, for a talley of 84pts. 85 being a maximum score. Set the league record for best score. 😎

Of course I had luck on my side. The odds of having your opponents break dry twice combined with dropping only a single ball on your breaks is slim. It did cost me the 1pt though. I opted to take the other suit in the third rack because my opening shot on the suit I dropped on the break was a extremely low % (short range masse') and I really didn't have it in my head the night would have been flawless otherwise so why risk it...?...lol.

...and before someone asks. It was on a 9ft, and not every rack was a wide open shooting gallery ;)

BlueRaider

Registered
Maybe he was in his first session or two, and the computer finally caught up. Or maybe he was watched by folks out there and bumped up. Or a little of both.

He definitely wasn’t in his first couple of sessions. I think he was under ranked when he went out there by an SL or two and has improved further since then.

Interestingly his Fargo is barely over 500 with high robustness. If that’s accurate he’s gonna have a tough time as a 7/9.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I actually had my best league night literally ever last Wednesday...lol

It's a CCS(ACS) league that follows the BCA format of scoring/handicapping. My team won the round points 6-0, and I had nearly a perfect night.

I went 17+17+16+17+17, for a talley of 84pts. 85 being a maximum score. Set the league record for best score. 😎

Of course I had luck on my side. The odds of having your opponents break dry twice combined with dropping only a single ball on your breaks is slim. It did cost me the 1pt though. I opted to take the other suit in the third rack because my opening shot on the suit I dropped on the break was a extremely low % (short range masse') and I really didn't have it in my head the night would have been flawless otherwise so why risk it...?...lol.

...and before someone asks. It was on a 9ft, and not every rack was a wide open shooting gallery ;)
Any ERO's or 8 on the break?

g-string

A guy in my league who won singles out in Vegas last spring as an SL 5/5 is now a 7/9.

That was...quick?
If I remember correctly when I watched the 5s finals, both of the players went up to 6s in Vegas. So they had to spot a game to a true 5. I believe that was the way it was worded by the Striking Viking

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
All 5 racks were an ERO. First trip to the table on all counts.
What was the 16?
Where do you break from, and does the 8 count on the break?
I've hit it 2x this season and it doesn't count, all we can do is pay more $ to grab it from the table and spot it, or rebreak.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What was the 16?
Where do you break from, and does the 8 count on the break?
I've hit it 2x this season and it doesn't count, all we can do is pay more $ to grab it from the table and spot it, or rebreak.
The 16 was on my break. CCS (ACS) rules have the table open after break if any ball is dropped. I dropped a low ball but didn't have an open look.

During this night, I broke to the head ball from the center of the table. I place the CB near the headstring and use a closed bridge off the table surface. Depending on the day, I'll switch to a side rail second ball break.

Not entirely sure on the 8 ball break rule. Can't recall dropping one for a very long time.

Coyote501

Finished last session 8-2. Then got beat in the playoffs.
Started this session 3-1 so far. The loss came from a guy who has swept everyone he has played so far. Team is kicking ass, in first place.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's not really possible to go from a 5 to maxed out handicap in a session, maybe a year at best if you play a lot and have coaching. It just takes too much knowledge outside of just making a ball to win that much with run outs that are needed for maxing out a league handicap. At the higher levels, playing against good players, pattern plan and shot selection are huge, and it takes thousands of games to get that knowledge to stick and execute.

Last edited:

Rusty in Montana

I played again this past Friday at our local seniors pool league I won all 4 of my games as a team we won the match which is a good thing .

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
It's not really possible to go from a 5 to maxed out handicap in a session, maybe a year at best if you play a lot and have coaching. It just takes too much knowledge outside of just making a ball to win that much with run outs that are needed for maxing out a league handicap. At the higher levels, playing against good players, pattern plan and shot selection are huge, and it takes thousands of games to get that knowledge to stick and execute.
We have countless examples of players that are new to APA but experienced shooters, starting at a SL3 (or SL4, like it used to be in the past) and ending up as SL7's before the end of the session. My current team captain is one of them.

The player in question could have been started as SL5, some LO's start known players at a higher level than regular players. (Ours does not, just has it apply equally to every new player and letting the computer sort it out, no subjectiveness or player-watching required). Then played to his real skill level.

Or it could be any of several other possible scenarios.