$740,000 First Prize for World Heyball Championship in China, March 25, 2023

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what "heyball" is, but I'd like to learn. I'm reading that it may be a translation from Chinese to "black ball" or "eight-ball." The event is March 25, 2023, and there are qualifiers around the world available. I read Pat Holtz from Scotland is going.

328829928_5870371113057041_3303920306959995824_n.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its Chinese 8ball with a stupid name. The ICEA and Joy went with this stupid 'Heyball' name to separate it from other 8ball games. Covid put all these Ch.8b events on hold. Just now starting back up. Lot of Ch.8b on YT if you wanna see it. Tough game. Basically 8ball on a 9ft snooker table. Personally i find it pretty boring to watch but they do have some big paying events. A few big name pool players usually try it but all the big events are usually won by the regulars who play it all the time.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Matches are races to 13 or 140minutes, whichever comes first. If tied after 140min they have some form of shootout.
It's funny... I actually cut my teeth on a table like that. "8ball table size w/ snooker cut pockets". The pool room I first started playing snooker in had them. We called them the "kiddie tables"...lol

• Haha
Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting that Joy and Matchroom show the payouts in dollars. :)

Aside from the IPT, this is the largest payout in a pocket billiards game I have ever seen.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny... I actually cut my teeth on a table like that. "8ball table size w/ snooker cut pockets". The pool room I first started playing snooker in had them. We called them the "kiddie tables"...lol
Nothing 'kiddie' about Chin.8b tho. Tough ass game. I just find it not that entertaining to watch. They do give away some big bux. Appleton won their big event in '15. He made around $100,000 and this yr. its $740,000. Wow. Melling and Shaw have done ok as well.

bounoun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
750K for the winner? thats a huge payout - snooker WC doesnt even offer that. I find it very boring to watch though.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Nothing 'kiddie' about Chin.8b tho. Tough ass game. I just find it not that entertaining to watch. They do give away some big bux. Appleton won their big event in '15. He made around $100,000 and this yr. its $740,000. Wow. Melling and Shaw have done ok as well.
oh no doubt... But they are, in dimension, a "kiddie" version of a snooker table.

The game is simply done differently then it is on 'pool' tables. Note Melling's choice of bank-side shape on the 8 ball versus the easy draw shot to a direct pot into the corner up the rail. Snooker cut side pockets are huge where as the facings on the corners physically try to reject shots up the rail.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
750K for the winner? thats a huge payout - snooker WC doesnt even offer that. I find it very boring to watch though.
kinda in the same boat. serious skill involved but just not all that fun to watch. a lot of matches are won with scores by the winner of less than 13games. game would never fly here in the U.S.

bounoun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh no doubt... But they are, in dimension, a "kiddie" version of a snooker table.

The game is simply done differently then it is on 'pool' tables. Note Melling's choice of bank-side shape on the 8 ball versus the easy draw shot to a direct pot into the corner up the rail. Snooker cut side pockets are huge where as the facings on the corners physically try to reject shots up the rail.

i never understood this game tbh ; i mean just play snooker ?? why this half pool / snooker variant? makes no-sense.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
kinda in the same boat. serious skill involved but just not all that fun to watch. a lot of matches are won with scores by the winner of less than 13games. game would never fly here in the U.S.
Lot's of tactics (moves) in Chinese 8b. Again, you can see it in the vid you posted. Alex purposely pushing Melling's 10b to the rail for example.

Alex lost the first rack because he attempted a carom with a high percentage on the 'pool' table but missed it into the horn by a good margin on those snooker cuts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lot's of tactics (moves) in Chinese 8b. Again, you can see it in the vid you posted. Alex purposely pushing Melling's 10b to the rail for example.

Alex lost the first rack because he attempted a carom with a high percentage on the 'pool' table but missed it into the horn by a good margin on those snooker cuts.
I get it brother. For the average pool watcher this stuff is a GUARANTEE'D cure for insomnia. Could you imagine this game in an average U.S. poolroom? Hell, one damn game might take the 140minutes. ;)

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Wanting to go to China takes a lot of motivation in the current Covid climate.

Its an attractive offer and China is a travel destination. The threat of external factors creating an unpleasant experience is high.