Advise to New Cue Admirers - Please Add Advice

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
1.Don’t buy cues on eBay thinking you found a score. It’s 2023. If it’s a score to you it already was a disappoint to five guys before you that forgot what they found out after buying it. That’s why it’s for sale.

2. Don‘t buy a Scruggs sneaky Pete unless you actually are going to shoot with it. Yes, they go up in value about 100 bucks a year because the new you comes along. I know, I was you at one time. BTW, Bob Frey was great but the cues he built with TS on them wI’ll sell for 2-3 times what his Sneakies with BF sell for and they are as far as I know not just cut in half house cue sticks.

3. Sign up on the Southwest list. Just because, you are now a cue collector.

4. on a serious note, if anyone offers you to test hit their cue do it and make notes. I don’t care if it’s a custom or Kmart special. Take it all in, you can make notes in your phone. This also pertains to shafts.

5. don’t buy a custom cue and put a production carbon fiber shaft on it. If you want carbon fiber buy a cue with a matching shaft At the same time. Cue builders know what they are doing with balance. if You have a production cue ie Pechauer, Jacoby call them to ask for a carbon fiber shaft to match your cue

6. don’t assume what can be built now is better than what you lucked into. I purchased a Searing shaft built for a Tasc and matched it to my Runde, most amazing shaft for me ever. Assumed if I sent the butt to Dennis and He built another shaft it would be even better. Don’t work that why, that shaft is long gone, it had the ivory S and is worth way more than my playing shaft. My playing shaft is worth way more to me.

7. Support local cue builders if they charge fair prices and stand by their cues. This is where new cue builders come from. It’s not easy to not lose money building cues. There is a local builder in my area who I saw 4 guys in a eight table room playing his cues Monday night. I’ve been out of the scene for 4 years and had no idea how he’d blown up. I’ll post his name once I get his ok, He used to post here when I first signed up.

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never understood these guys that spend their whole lives searching for some mythical perfect hitting cue. I purchase cues based on visual aesthetics alone. The hit is meaningless to me. Unless there is some huge weight imbalance or something, they pretty much all hit relatively the same. And when I buy a cue I will be using it (and only it) for the next 5+ years so I will eventually get super comfortable with it. No need to get so caught up in minute differences between cues.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never understood these guys that spend their whole lives searching for some mythical perfect hitting cue. I purchase cues based on visual aesthetics alone. The hit is meaningless to me. Unless there is some huge weight imbalance or something, they pretty much all hit relatively the same. And when I buy a cue I will be using it (and only it) for the next 5+ years so I will eventually get super comfortable with it. No need to get so caught up in minute differences between cues.
Because some (of us) are simply insane. There really is no other reason.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I think this is funny because I am the opposite I only care how it hits.
I say when I am shooting I cant see what my cue even looks like.
To each his own Likes & Dislikes
PS I found my perfect combo Joss/Predator Shaft I just wish the shafts would stop warping/Will not go carbon!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1.Don’t buy cues on eBay thinking you found a score. It’s 2023. If it’s a score to you it already was a disappoint to five guys before you that forgot what they found out after buying it. That’s why it’s for sale.

2. Don‘t buy a Scruggs sneaky Pete unless you actually are going to shoot with it. Yes, they go up in value about 100 bucks a year because the new you comes along. I know, I was you at one time. BTW, Bob Frey was great but the cues he built with TS on them wI’ll sell for 2-3 times what his Sneakies with BF sell for and they are as far as I know not just cut in half house cue sticks.

3. Sign up on the Southwest list. Just because, you are now a cue collector.

4. on a serious note, if anyone offers you to test hit their cue do it and make notes. I don’t care if it’s a custom or Kmart special. Take it all in, you can make notes in your phone. This also pertains to shafts.

5. don’t buy a custom cue and put a production carbon fiber shaft on it. If you want carbon fiber buy a cue with a matching shaft At the same time. Cue builders know what they are doing with balance. if You have a production cue ie Pechauer, Jacoby call them to ask for a carbon fiber shaft to match your cue

6. don’t assume what can be built now is better than what you lucked into. I purchased a Searing shaft built for a Tasc and matched it to my Runde, most amazing shaft for me ever. Assumed if I sent the butt to Dennis and He built another shaft it would be even better. Don’t work that why, that shaft is long gone, it had the ivory S and is worth way more than my playing shaft. My playing shaft is worth way more to me.

7. Support local cue builders if they charge fair prices and stand by their cues. This is where new cue builders come from. It’s not easy to not lose money building cues. There is a local builder in my area who I saw 4 guys in a eight table room playing his cues Monday night. I’ve been out of the scene for 4 years and had no idea how he’d blown up. I’ll post his name once I get his ok, He used to post here when I first signed up.
Don't seek cue buying help on on-line forums. ;)

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I don't get it either. I look for a high quality brand in my budget and something that looks good to me.

Pat Diveney is somewhat local to me. I love how his cues feel, and they are beautiful. I picked my cue up at his shop, didn't ask about the weight or specs. I know they all play great and have similar characteristics. I found the pretty one that fits my taste in cues and bought it, didn't even give it a test hit.

I never gave balance any thought, but Pat's cues have amazing balance, they just almost disappear in your hand. It's like they levitate or something.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
Ignore other peoples "advice" and do what makes you happy. If you want to buy a $5,000 cue and mix and match it with a $50 shaft or shaft from another cuemaker/company and love the way it plays do it. If you want to buy a cue for $150 on eBay and spend $200 on a refinish because you like the cue do it.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ignore other peoples "advice" and do what makes you happy. If you want to buy a $5,000 cue and mix and match it with a $50 shaft or shaft from another cuemaker/company and love the way it plays do it. If you want to buy a cue for $150 on eBay and spend $200 on a refinish because you like the cue do it.
Have fun and let your pocket do the talking. You like it. You want it. You can afford it. BUY IT.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
How do you know all this?
I can't keep that much info in my head.
You real smart!
Not smart. Made the mistakes and learned. Just don’t want another pool player who wants to become a cue collector take unneeded steps And get discouraged. Cue collecting is not something younger players are picking up on. Most of them could care less who “insert any current or deaceased cue builders name here” built that cue with a maple shaft. At some point as we die off a whole lot of collector cues are going to be in circulation