ld wood shaft opinions

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 314 series is by far the most popular low squirt wood shaft ever made. It created the whole category. It also has the lowest squirt of all the wood ones (at that diameter). If you like thinner, the Predator Z shaft is next. Both came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations. I've tried a bunch of the competitor brands over the years, and I personally felt the Predator brand was the lowest squirt.
Many wood shafts outperform the 314 currently when lt comes to deflection, at a comparable diameter.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you’re looking for an alternative, I have been really liking the Mezz LD shafts. I have a couple of the EX Pro shafts and I also recently picked up a WX900 to try out. I think the feel is better than predator while still being really low deflection.

Would be really hard for me to support anything that gets more money in Mika's pockets, him being part owner of Mezz and all.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am old people and thrilled to still be here! Seen a lot of funerals along the way.,

I played with maple shafts for 50 years or so and have never shied away from trying new shafts, in golf or pool. If you don’t try you’ll never know.

Recently I bought a Mezz ex pro shaft, thirty inches and like it a lot. Get the benefits of a carbon fiber core within a wood shaft. Feels like wood and has low deflection similar to some carbon fiber shafts, very happy with it!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got a predator 314, older one. I'm starting to think ld makes sense, even for old people.

My question is, what ld wood shaft do people really like. I'm about to invest in more and aren't that well versed in the subject, outside of having one 20 years ago and selling it..

Thanks for any input.

This all depends on you, need to try a dozen or so to get a good feel for what you like and can play with. For just a pure lowest deflection, probably a Z3 tuned shaft. There are many that have a good middle ground, more LD than normal shafts, more hit feel and forgiving stiffness than many other LD shafts. OB1, Tiger X both fall into that category. The Jacoby, Mezz, many Predator shafts, I find are a bit too stiff of a hit and deaden the hit feel across most of their line.

Best thing to do find out what our pool playing friends use and try theirs out.

dendweller

I am old people and thrilled to still be here! Seen a lot of funerals along the way.,

I played with maple shafts for 50 years or so and have never shied away from trying new shafts, in golf or pool. If you don’t try you’ll never know.

Recently I bought a Mezz ex pro shaft, thirty inches and like it a lot. Get the benefits of a carbon fiber core within a wood shaft. Feels like wood and has low deflection similar to some carbon fiber shafts, very happy with it!
I've been playing this 314 for a few days now, I'm starting to think I'm a convert. I always fought against the idea of the technology and all but I'm starting to feel like it does minimize the things I need to consider on a shot. Once I took off what I believe was probably a layered tip and replaced it with a triangle I really like the hit too. Some things won't change I guess.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many wood shafts outperform the 314 currently when lt comes to deflection, at a comparable diameter.

Solid one's? 314 is pretty damn low for a 12.75 shaft. My Mezz 700 is about the same. Its not laminated but the front-end is lightened. What wood shafts at same diameter out-do a 314?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Solid one's? 314 is pretty damn low for a 12.75 shaft. My Mezz 700 is about the same. Its not laminated but the front-end is lightened. What wood shafts at same diameter out-do a 314?
Wonder how the sigma does (not having a ferrule is a big deal to me...chalk getting ground into the wood. Accidental bad miscue trying a houdini shot could crack it)

I think the 700 is 12.5. And the sigma is also 12.5.

I have a wx700...plays good but haven't gotten around to using it much. Been using a rosewood wavy joint cue with a wx900 exclusively for three or four months. The 900 is kindof an extreme cueshaft. The 700 is a happy middle ground imo you can't go wrong with it

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does "solid" mean to you ? The 314 is laminated and hollowed out, so I would argue it's anything but solid...

12.75mm is a very specific diameter which makes it hard to compare, but if we take a range of 12.5 to 12.75mm, the following outperform the 314 to my knowledge:

Mezz WX700 and older WD700 (12.5mm) - similar deflection but made of real wood, better quality and feel

Mezz Sigma (12.5mm) - much lower deflection

Mezz Expro (12.5mmm) - in between the Sigma and the WX700, lower deflection than 314

IQ Infinity (custom diameter 12 - 12.9mm) - lowest deflection of them all, similar to carbon.

dendweller

The 314 is laminated and hollowed out, so I would argue it's anything but solid...
Boring out 1/4 inch removes about 23% of the area of the shaft for the first 5 inches. You've still got
24 more inches of shaft which is solid. It's equivalent to having the first 5 inches be a little below 11.5 mm only
given the tube nature giving it more width, I'd think a little more stable.

I understand the logic that solid is better and wouldn't disagree, but I think the argument that they hit hollow is over done.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does "solid" mean to you ? The 314 is laminated and hollowed out, so I would argue it's anything but solid...

12.75mm is a very specific diameter which makes it hard to compare, but if we take a range of 12.5 to 12.75mm, the following outperform the 314 to my knowledge:

Mezz WX700 and older WD700 (12.5mm) - similar deflection but made of real wood, better quality and feel

Mezz Sigma (12.5mm) - much lower deflection

Mezz Expro (12.5mmm) - in between the Sigma and the WX700, lower deflection than 314

IQ Infinity (custom diameter 12 - 12.9mm) - lowest deflection of them all, similar to carbon.

Sigma isn't 'much' lower defl. than a 314. I tried one when they first came out. The 314, the 700 and the Sigma are all about same. I shoot at the end rail like Dr.Dave does and the squirt on all of them is extremely close.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigma isn't 'much' lower defl. than a 314. I tried one when they first came out. The 314, the 700 and the Sigma are all about same. I shoot at the end rail like Dr.Dave does and the squirt on all of them is extremely close.
I'm not sure if you had the opportunity to try them side by side, but the Sigma is dedinitwky lower deflection than the other two. The Expro sits in between, so that gives you a gradation. They are also different generations, with the Sigma being the newest so it makes sense.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if you had the opportunity to try them side by side, but the Sigma is dedinitwky lower deflection than the other two. The Expro sits in between, so that gives you a gradation. They are also different generations, with the Sigma being the newest so it makes sense.

you keep saying definitely and i'm saying the difference is very slight. only mezz i've never tried is expro. the others are good lo-defl. shafts but not a major diff in a 314 as in tiny. good bye. done here.

dendweller

Mezz may be great shafts and cues, but they don't seem to want to sell just shafts or they'd do a little more with joint options.

And their connection to someone that throws competitors chalk under the table doesn't draw me to buying from them either.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz may be great shafts and cues, but they don't seem to want to sell just shafts or they'd do a little more with joint options.

And their connection to someone that throws competitors chalk under the table doesn't draw me to buying from them either.
I love mine. They make fantastic cues. I couldn't care less who a company sponsors.

dendweller

I love mine. They make fantastic cues. I couldn't care less who a company sponsors.
Never heard any different regarding their quality.

To be honest, I thought I read on here that he was part owner, looked it up, doesn't look like it so I have to agree with you, except I don't want a cue, just a shaft and they don't offer the joint I need.

Actually, 9Ballr said Mika was part owner a few posts up.

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never heard any different regarding their quality.

To be honest, I thought I read on here that he was part owner, looked it up, doesn't look like it so I have to agree with you, except I don't want a cue, just a shaft and they don't offer the joint I need.

Actually, 9Ballr said Mika was part owner a few posts up.
The United joint should für on a piloted 5/16x14 butt if that helps.