ld wood shaft opinions

dendweller

I recently got a predator 314, older one. I'm starting to think ld makes sense, even for old people.

My question is, what ld wood shaft do people really like. I'm about to invest in more and aren't that well versed in the subject, outside of having one 20 years ago and selling it..

Thanks for any input.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only used two, McDermott G Cores, all 29"on 3 McDermott cues that I have, and 4 Jacoby Ultras, 3-30", 1-29" that wife and I use on our 3 Schons. I really like the Jacoby Ultras, and the gcores are nice also, just a little deader hit than the Ultras.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 314 series is by far the most popular low squirt wood shaft ever made. It created the whole category. It also has the lowest squirt of all the wood ones (at that diameter). If you like thinner, the Predator Z shaft is next. Both came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations. I've tried a bunch of the competitor brands over the years, and I personally felt the Predator brand was the lowest squirt.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The 314 series is by far the most popular low squirt wood shaft ever made. It created the whole category. It also has the lowest squirt of all the wood ones (at that diameter). If you like thinner, the Predator Z shaft is next. Both came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations. I've tried a bunch of the competitor brands over the years, and I personally felt the Predator brand was the lowest squirt.
Do they still have a patent on their hole?

pj
chgo

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got a predator 314, older one. I'm starting to think ld makes sense, even for old people.

My question is, what ld wood shaft do people really like. I'm about to invest in more and aren't that well versed in the subject, outside of having one 20 years ago and selling it..

Thanks for any input.
I like my Z2 and Z2 S-tuned over my 314 (cat).

No data on other shafts.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of all the wood LD's and Revo carbon experiment I have owned, the 314-2 was the only one I held onto and will keep. I don't always use it because I have some very nice quality old maple shafts that came with my customs or I acquired over the years I like to play.

Have a good weekend,
kat

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you’re looking for an alternative, I have been really liking the Mezz LD shafts. I have a couple of the EX Pro shafts and I also recently picked up a WX900 to try out. I think the feel is better than predator while still being really low deflection.

Reactions: bbb

dendweller

It's been expired about 10 years now. Although I have not seen or heard of any other companies copying their design closely, which would be 100% legal.
I know I saw a Jocoby vid where Brandon was explaining that they core the shaft with a gun drill so I kind of doubt the hole in and of itself is really an issue anymore.

dendweller

I don't know how you could get much lower and I don't know how they do it. It's definitely something more than just the hole in the shaft. Especially since they get the similar results with the vantage which is a pretty stout shaft by today's standards.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I saw a Jocoby vid where Brandon was explaining that they core the shaft with a gun drill so I kind of doubt the hole in and of itself is really an issue anymore.
A gun drill usually implies the entire shaft is hollow. (Although I'm not familiar with the Jacoby). The 314 patent's claim (long expired now) is very specific that the hollow region is only near the tip end of the shaft, and also states it's purpose is to lighten only the tip end.

dendweller

A gun drill usually implies the entire shaft is hollow. (Although I'm not familiar with the Jacoby). The 314 patent's claim (long expired now) is very specific that the hollow region is only near the tip end of the shaft, and also states it's purpose is to lighten only the tip end. It's around 2.53 in the vid.
I see why you'd say that but doesn't seem to be the case here. He says the front end is cored by a special gun drilling process after the joint is put on. Not sure why you'd need a gun drill for it but I'm far from an expert on what the advantage is to using a gun drill when you're not drilling that deep.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see why you'd say that but doesn't seem to be the case here. He says the front end is cored by a special gun drilling process after the joint is put on. Not sure why you'd need a gun drill for it but I'm far from an expert on what the advantage is to using a gun drill when you're not drilling that deep.

That was a nice overview of the shaft! If I was still trying different low squirt wood shafts, I'd definitely give this one a try.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for any input.
Need to explain "even for old people".