Does anyone use different head positions for certain shots?

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For example straight in shots directly under the the chin and say shots to the left or right more to the side to get a better view of the angle.

I know that shots to the left for me I do better when I have the cue stick to the left of center.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For long shots my head is down close to the cue.
For short shots my head is higher,easier to see the angle.
if the balls are very close together i will raise my head position
not sure if thats what you meant by short shots
for the op
head position to cue relative to cut angle stays the same

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For example straight in shots directly under the the chin and say shots to the left or right more to the side to get a better view of the angle.

I know that shots to the left for me I do better when I have the cue stick to the left of center.
I think that for shots that are very thin (less than 1/8-ball) you have to have your attention along the line joining the contact points of the cue ball and object ball, but I'm not sure you want your head to be along that line. I think your head needs to remain along the line of the cue stick to see which way the ball is going.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think that for shots that are very thin (less than 1/8-ball) you have to have your attention along the line joining the contact points of the cue ball and object ball, but I'm not sure you want your head to be along that line. I think your head needs to remain along the line of the cue stick to see which way the ball is going.
That describes every shot for me, thick or thin.

pj
chgo

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
You do have to get to a place, where as said above, your head is always the same relative to the cue stick (for standard shots, meaning not a masse or jump shot, etc.).

However, a lot of players guess at an aim target on certain cut angles and would do very well moving their head laterally until they "see" the path of the o.b. to the pocket as best they can. If you can see it, you can hit it.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do have to get to a place, where as said above, your head is always the same relative to the cue stick (for standard shots, meaning not a masse or jump shot, etc.).

However, a lot of players guess at an aim target on certain cut angles and would do very well moving their head laterally until they "see" the path of the o.b. to the pocket as best they can. If you can see it, you can hit it.
Yes moving their head until they can see the shot. Isn't it a common refrain that instructors say practice shots on both sides of the table because sometimes one side is harder than the other. If this is the case wouldnt finding different alignments relative to the cue stick cause for different views?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes moving their head until they can see the shot. Isn't it a common refrain that instructors say practice shots on both sides of the table because sometimes one side is harder than the other. If this is the case wouldnt finding different alignments relative to the cue stick cause for different views?
do some research on vision center and you will understand why it is not recommended to move your head to different places based on the cut angle
i am not an instructor
jmho
but it seems i am not the only one telling you that

Last edited:

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do some research on vision center and you will understand why it is not recommended to move your head to different places based on the cut angle
i am not an instructor
jmho
Thanks for that insight!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Sure, and I can give you other examples using this method where on some shots, your chin is over the cue or right of the stick or left of it depending on the angles at hand--but you're getting OPTIMAL views. :)

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
i am not an instructor
jmho
Yes, I agree, as an instructor, I strongly advocate keeping your vision center relative to the cut and shot the same for all shots--except that, sometimes, when I see someone struggling to discern aim/guessing at cuts, I break the usual rule... meaning, I don't care if your head is a foot to one side of the cue! When you SEE the beautiful line for the o.b. to score, "send your hand to that target".

This is a drill to help people learn what soon becomes instinctual but vastly improved aim with their vision center always on line.