2023 USam hosting location...?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Received an email the other day to reserve my accommodations for the event, and the hotel is ~2.5hrs away from the usual hosting location of Strokers in Palm Habour Forida.

There are several pool rooms near the hotel (Wyndham Orlando Resort, Orlando) but they don't seem to be listing any as an venue. Wondering if anyone had some insight to where the event is actually being played. ...wondering if they are using a spot within the resort itself.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The APA claims to be the governing body of amateur pool. I think that's not correct. They are the governing body of APA tournaments and leagues. They are a private company. So far as I know, they are not even a member of the BCA any more.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The APA claims to be the governing body of amateur pool. I think that's not correct. They are the governing body of APA tournaments and leagues. They are a private company. So far as I know, they are not even a member of the BCA any more.
I care about the BCA about as much as I think you care about the APA...lol. To be clear, I don't care much about the APA either... :)

Still curious where the actual game play will be, and if we could be potentially playing on their "APA-ised" Diamond tables. In prior years it was held in a pool room in Palm Habour. Which had a mix of table brands and specs from what I've been told. I think there's a strong possibility that this event will be in a conference room with the diamond BB's they have allocated to their other events.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Received an email the other day to reserve my accommodations for the event, and the hotel is ~2.5hrs away from the usual hosting location of Strokers in Palm Habour Forida.

There are several pool rooms near the hotel (Wyndham Orlando Resort, Orlando) but they don't seem to be listing any as an venue. Wondering if anyone had some insight to where the event is actually being played. ...wondering if they are using a spot within the resort itself.
It will be held at the resort on site. They are bringing in 20 diamond 9 footers if my info is correct

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have they ever been a member of the BCA?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Still curious where the actual game play will be, and if we could be potentially playing on their "APA-ised" Diamond tables. ...
There is a contact email on the event web page.

Are you going to play in the International Open? Seems like a more appropriate tournament for your level of play.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
There is a contact email on the event web page.
I did notice that. Honestly expected a quicker turn around by asking on here.
Are you going to play in the International Open? Seems like a more appropriate tournament for your level of play.
There are a few players in the mid 700 range for that USam. That's well above my speed. I will accept the complement though, thanks ;)

The USam is just a shallow bucket list item for me. Had a close buddy finish second fiddle a couple of years ago, and it put a burr in my ass to make a run at it.

The International and USopen are events that I will play in at some point. Again, bucket list items...

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Cookie... I hope your info is accurate. I was very disheartened at the possibility of it becoming a BB event.
My info pretty much comes from the place where it’s not being held this year lol. It should be very accurate

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of the BCA, anyone else laugh at that front page article about the current BCA head honcho stepping down? I mean, good for him that he was top dog of that organization for as long as he was but the article made it sound as if the BCA has cared about pool for years, whereas I can't remember them doing anything for pool since I got back into the game close to ten years ago now.

All I know about the current BCA is that they are nothing but a trade organization.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
When has the US Amateur Championship been played on anything other then 9 foot tables?
The key word you quoted was "becoming". With the venue becoming a conference room (rather than an established pool room), and the APA shifting from Valley tables to Diamond BBs for all their other "championship" events. I was concerned that the USam may utilize the tables they already have rather than rolling in 9fters just for this occasion. Now that I think of it. Pretty sure all their other majors are in vegas. Maybe logistically it makes more sense to rent 9fters in Florida rather than ship across the States.

All guesswork on my part.

I am a little disappointed that they moved it away from the Strokers location in Palm Harbor. I heard nothing but very positive comments about the events there. Mainly the food, now that I think of it...lol. I was warned the tables are a bit of mish mash of model and specs. At least ~20 some odd Diamond tables should play extremely similar.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My info pretty much comes from the place where it’s not being held this year lol. It should be very accurate
Good enough for me... Thanks (y)

I was really hoping to meet when this trip went off. Hopefully I can still find a way to work it in.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Speaking of the BCA, anyone else laugh at that front page article about the current BCA head honcho stepping down? I mean, good for him that he was top dog of that organization for as long as he was but the article made it sound as if the BCA has cared about pool for years, whereas I can't remember them doing anything for pool since I got back into the game close to ten years ago now.

All I know about the current BCA is that they are nothing but a trade organization.
The BCA "worlds" in Vegas were something to behold back in the day. I remember playing against teams from Spain and Australia. Good Times...

These days the BCA to me is a group of presumably old men that dream crap up that vast majority couldn't give 2 sh!ts about. What is it now...? Some hall of fame, and rule makers to discredit record setting efforts..? ppffft...

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key word you quoted was "becoming". With the venue becoming a conference room (rather than an established pool room), and the APA shifting from Valley tables to Diamond BBs for all their other "championship" events. I was concerned that the USam may utilize the tables they already have rather than rolling in 9fters just for this occasion. Now that I think of it. Pretty sure all their other majors are in vegas. Maybe logistically it makes more sense to rent 9fters in Florida rather than ship across the States.

All guesswork on my part.

I am a little disappointed that they moved it away from the Strokers location in Palm Harbor. I heard nothing but very positive comments about the events there. Mainly the food, now that I think of it...lol. I was warned the tables are a bit of mish mash of model and specs. At least ~20 some odd Diamond tables should play extremely similar.
Yes Strokers has a variety of tables. 2 diamonds. 3 gold crowns 9 robertsons. They all play pretty good though. Funny story. Had a former amateur champion whine a few years ago and get our scheduled match moved off of one of the diamonds because it played too tight for his liking. Yes the APA does favor its former champions just a little lol