World Pool Masters 2023 (10-13 May), nineball, Essex UK, Winner $40K

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ko up 7-4.

I did an AZB search, and Ko had been using SW for a long time. In recent years, he switched to Zen cues (made in Taiwan).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ko up 8-4. Karl, JJ, and a 3rd I don't recognize on the mic.

Karl has a way with words, ha ha. A few rack ago, he said Kaci is much faster now, and he "used to stay down for an eternity on the ball".

Reactions: JAM

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They're both awesome players, but I think Ko Pin Yi is going to win.
Makes sense. Ko has a combined record of 31-17 in his three wins. Kaci is 31-27 in his three wins, and he has survived two matches in which his opponent broke at double hill - Mario He hooked himself at double hill and Niels Feijen broke dry.

Kaci plays well enough to win easily but he's not the favorite.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kaci looks like he missed a lot of shots fat, while Ko has missed his shots thin. According to Bert Kinnester, that makes Ko the far better player. The scores line is reflecting that:)

Ko on the hill, leads 12-5.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice tourney for Ko. He won 44 racks and lost just 22. That's a very high standard indeed.

If he was 20-1 to win this as I read in this thread, it shows that nobody thinks he is back to his speed of 2015. After a bronze at the 2022 International and a gold at the 2023 World Pool Masters, maybe he's going to regain that form. It's pool's gain if he gets there, as he is a classy and charismatic figure in our sport.

The subject of who is the world's best with the jump cue often arises on this forum. The obvious names like Gorst, Shaw and Ouschan always come up, and I nearly always mention that Ko Pin Yi belongs in the discussion. His brilliance with the jump stick was on full display this week.

Well played, Ko and congrats to Matchroom for producing this superb event.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Big Ko, Little Ko, and Baby Ko gonna taiwan one on tonight….

IMG_2136.jpeg

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Ko up 7-4.

I did an AZB search, and Ko had been using SW for a long time. In recent years, he switched to Zen cues (made in Taiwan).
Pretty $pendy switch...here's a video:

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="
" title="What’s in the BAG / With Ko PinYi" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyway, Congrats to Ko! :)