Pool Ball Collecting.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I’m aware of four other Romanique I sets currently in the care of collecting friends… Bfriesth, K2Kraze, Boxcar and Bob.

Does anyone know others elsewhere?

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Mr B has an original Hyatt certificate of authenticity for his Romanique II set.

Super rare. Hopefully, he might be persuaded to share an image later. :)
Here is a photo of the certificate. Also…AZB did not like some of my photos the other day so here are just a few more.

Attachments

• IMG_2433.jpeg
    IMG_2433.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 70

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Fabulous on all counts, Brent.

Many moons ago I was told that four separate castings of the Romanique II sets were produced, but your certificate is the first documented evidence I have ever seen to corroborate this claim.

The registration number of 1661 is also very informative… strongly suggesting the 2,000 sets figure was accurate.

Thank you so much for sharing, old chap.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This autographed clay ball is being offered on Ebay at $60. The seller doesn't know who signed it -- I think it may have been Ed Jglorsk. In other Ebay news, eight Burt balls (1905?) are being offered at $1000.

1683997873612.png

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
The search is on for me now… I’ll not rest until a beautiful Romanique II is found for my own collection.

🙂
There was a guy that came around the SBE. He was an older fellow and a ball collector. I had a mint set of II's and he saw them. We talked price, he went around the show, came back, talked some more, went around the show, and finally purchased them. He probably bought 4-5 sets from us. This was in 99/00. We was easily late 60's , early to mid 70's. I have to think he passed, I never really knew his name, all I know is he was a ball collector. I have never seen another ball collection for sale, outside of Abe Waumbams (SP) so somewhere someone is sitting on a shit load of billiard balls, or someone in the family had no idea and thought is was a peculiar hobby and they are landfill.

JV

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Sadly, that scenario happens all the time in the collecting game… a fellow dies and his heirs have no clue or interest in his treasured collection.

I’ve been the beneficiary of this myself a few times… the joy of acquiring great pool ball sets is always tinged with a little sadness on those occasions.

Could you tell me a little more about Abe Waumbam, please, JV?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Sadly, that scenario happens all the time in the collecting game… a fellow dies and his heirs have no clue or interest in his treasured collection.

I’ve been the beneficiary of this myself a few times… the joy of acquiring great pool ball sets is always tinged with a little sadness on those occasions.

Could you tell me a little more about Abe Waumbam, please, JV?
Abe collected everything. He has the most ridiculous collection I have ever seen. Cues, cases, balls, tables, cue lockers, cue drawers. He had ivory balls, and in fact he had a closet that if you opened it, vintage boxed sets. He was in the pool game a long time. He would buy, complete lines, one each. Every Joss line, McDermott line, Meucci's, Palmers.. it was a sick collection. His home table was a Kling or Arcadian, I forget. He could be cantankerous at times, but I think it was him just getting slammed by people wanting his stuff. When he passed some items sold here in the for sale forum, some off the Sherbine sites.
JV

Benelli

So I acquired a BBC mission-style ball rack at a St. Louis estate sale and the rack came with two full sets of Hyatt balls (Centennials, Challengers) a set of Carom balls and what I thought were just some random balls.

When I get home and started looking at the sets and then the randoms it becomes clear that the randoms were all the same and what I thought was a faded 9-ball is actually not faded at all but is actually white.

So after doing a lite clean on all nine balls and what I assume was the cue ball that came with them I now think I have a full Nine Ball set, possibly made by Hyatt?

Do any of you fine folks recognize this set or the unique 9-ball?
PXL-20230513-153715135.jpg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Fascinating, Mr B.

If this is indeed a dedicated Nine Ball set from Hyatt, I have never seen its like before.

What a wonderful discovery, dear chap!

Benelli

1st look at the Aramith 100th Anniversary cue ball
View attachment 700181

Personally, Im not very Impressed so far , but Ill reserve Judgement ,until the entire sets revealed.
I don't know, I feel like this new cue ball captures all the key elements of a cue ball:
A: Round - Check
B: White - Check
C: Round - Check

Nailed it...

If the other balls have at least two of these three things also then I think we might have a huge hit on our hands!

Benelli

That 100 logo is definitely Raschigesque.
From a pure design aesthetic, I like it a lot. It's simple, clean, and conveys exactly what it's trying to communicate.

Look they easily could have created a Frankenball design with a mish-mash of multiple designs from the past 100 years. Hell, this cue ball alone could have had dots and triangles all over it...

Instead, we get a simple stylized 100, I'm in...

If the whole set continues to display this level of clean uncluttered design style then I'll buy two sets!

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allison Fisher walked into a local spot recently (non-pool) and I recognized her right away.
We had met briefly @ Kramer & Eugenes many years ago but she did not remember me. Right or wrong I asked if she would sign a cue ball for me and she graciously agreed. I sped home (2 miles away) and quickly returned with a sharpie & cue ball. So happy to add this one to my collection, all of which are BCA Hall of Fame Members! Allison Fisher, Vivian Villareal, Lou Butera, Mike Massey & Shannon Daulton. Thank you again Allison!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517-093623_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517-093623_Gallery.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 41