Best Tables for being moved, replaced and leveled easily

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys. Im looking for some help making a decision on what tables our club should get. Here’s the situation:

I am currently working with the officers of our local fire departments social hall in a search for replacing their current pool tables.

There are currently 2 8’ Great American coin-op(disassembled) tables being used in the space. However, they are pretty old, I’d guess 15-20 yrs and get moved frequently because the room is also used to host entertainment a couple nights per month.

The tables get lifted and dropped back into place w a traditional table lift and over the years it just seems the tables are taking a beating, almost impossible to get level.

So my question is, what tables are best suited for a frequent move, that can quickly and accurately be replaced and play at a high level?

I know it may sound like a lot because tables aren’t meant to be moved but it’s all we have to work with and we’re very fortunate that they are seriously entertaining this big investment to keep all the pool teams happy, as there are probably 7-8 teams that call the place home throughout the week.

Appreciate your input!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys. Im looking for some help making a decision on what tables our club should get. Here’s the situation:

I am currently working with the officers of our local fire departments social hall in a search for replacing their current pool tables.

There are currently 2 8’ Great American coin-op(disassembled) tables being used in the space. However, they are pretty old, I’d guess 15-20 yrs and get moved frequently because the room is also used to host entertainment a couple nights per month.

The tables get lifted and dropped back into place w a traditional table lift and over the years it just seems the tables are taking a beating, almost impossible to get level.

So my question is, what tables are best suited for a frequent move, that can quickly and accurately be replaced and play at a high level?

I know it may sound like a lot because tables aren’t meant to be moved but it’s all we have to work with and we’re very fortunate that they are seriously entertaining this big investment to keep all the pool teams happy, as there are probably 7-8 teams that call the place home throughout the week.

Appreciate your input!
Moving any table often makes it hard to get them dead level. Great American makes good stuff. Have you thought about just getting new rubber-n-cloth installed? New rail bolts wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moving any table often makes it hard to get them dead level. Great American makes good stuff. Have you thought about just getting new rubber-n-cloth installed? New rail bolts wouldn't hurt either.
Yeh, we're just ready to find something that can withstand the frequent moving. These tables are shot. We have had new cloth installed once a year for the past few years running and the bed of the tables usually play pretty well. However, the guy who does the work has said multiple times that the rails are in rough shape, some bolts dont tighten down well, the holes the bolts go through into the rails are sloppy and after very little play there becomes a lip at the top of each cushion which is very annoying to feel while stroking or bridging on them. The lip also dings wooden shafts pretty easily.

But beyond the appearence, the tables have become impossible to get leveled. No matter how much time goes into lifting and spinning the feet, theres always bad roll off. Which is a lost cause anyhow because they are just going to be lifted and moved away before too long.

Was really thinking I'd get some quick, solid feedback on this question. We cant be the only establishment dealing with sharing space. Try the mechanic forum maybe?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Appreciate your input!
One piece slate tables are obviously the easiest to level, provided the table can be moved in one piece with dollys or furniture sliders.

snookered_again

how about put it on a heavy steel plate with some blocking under so you can pick it up from under it's feet with a forklift? something like they use on the roads to cover a hole in the roadway. If the height difference is an issue make a portable catwalk like thing so your feet are off the floor same distance as the plate and blocking. you can roll it all on top of 1" steel pipes if you like. i often move heavy machines that way. for really heavy machies we use thin steel plates on the floor then machinery skates, You can buy all that but just pipes will do , just be careful to not let the pipes go rolling out, cut extra so as some come out, others go iunder and you can steer it by placing them at angles.

i dont know what this lifting contraption looks like but it sounds like it's twisting the frame. Id want to keep its weight on it's feet just like it is on the floor, unless it's disassembled.

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
how about put it on a heavy steel plate with some blocking under so you can pick it up from under it's feet with a forklift? something like they use on the roads to cover a hole in the roadway. If the height difference is an issue make a portable catwalk like thing so your feet are off the floor same distance as the plate and blocking. you can roll it all on top of 1" steel pipes if you like. i often move heavy machines that way. for really heavy machies we use thin steel plates on the floor then machinery skates, You can buy all that but just pipes will do , just be careful to not let the pipes go rolling out, cut extra so as some come out, others go iunder and you can steer it by placing them at angles.

i dont know hwt this lifing contraption looks like but it sounds like it's twisting the frame. Id want to keep its weight on it's feet like it is on the floor, unless it's disassembled.
Rube ? That you ? lol

Dave

snookered_again

don't know who Rube is, so no.

Ive made up movable things for heavy tablesaws though and similar can work..
the saw and adjoining tables I put on heavy angle iron welded at each corner. the rest of it sits on top of that frame, so its made ot fit.
each corner has a leveling foot that screws down against the floor. , with those lifted up, it sits on castors , 3 is enough with one that swivels.. then it rolls..
once in place you screw down the leveling pads and that lifts it off it's wheels so it can't slide. if the ground is unlevel or uneven, it doesn't matter, you just screw them down until it is level.

You'd need to keep the leveling pads where people arent tripping on them , under the edges of the table far enough. . what I do is make a big knob so they can just turn them down but iif it is it's too heavy to turn the knobs you can use a wrench. I'd use long 1" bolts for that.

same idea basically, the whole frame lifts it evenly from right undernaeath it's feet, so there is no twisting and the parts need to be heavy enough material , proportional to the weightand size of what it's carrying.
using heavy angle iron you dont need a heavy steel plate. use material that is proportional to the weight.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If going new(or lightly used) Diamond ProAm is the way to go. Not cheap but they are built like a tank and easily moved/leveled.

snookered_again

$8,768.00 is quite a bit for a 7 foot table..

It seems its a thousand per foot extra for the 8' or 9' maybe prices are a little cheaper in the US... but wow, you can have your pick of a lot of beautiful older tables if you are up in this price range.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

$8,768.00 is quite a bit for a 7 foot table..

It seems its a thousand per foot extra for the 8' or 9' maybe prices are a little cheaper in the US... but wow, you can have your pick of a lot of beautiful older tables if you are up in this price range.
about 6500 in us

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond “Pro-Am” is your best bet. It is shipped fully assembled at the factory on its side, and tilted into place. It has a one piece slate. If comes in 7’, 8’, 9’ sizes. It’s what all the big tournaments use because it can be moved in and out of a venue, and leveled, the quickest. They also sell a special cart so you can move it yourself on its side.

Its rails do bounce a little faster than most other tables. Its pockets are tighter than most other tables. You might want to check one out for yourself at a local pool hall.

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input everyone. I am very familiar with Diamond as far as their playability, price, all that. My best friend has one in his house. I hadn’t realized they were able to be lifted by the belly with a traditional table dolly, I thought we would need a diamond cart for every move. Seems this is gonna be the way to go, nothing a little fundraising can’t overcome

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond “Pro-Am” is your best bet. It is shipped fully assembled at the factory on its side, and tilted into place. It has a one piece slate. If comes in 7’, 8’, 9’ sizes. It’s what all the big tournaments use because it can be moved in and out of a venue, and leveled, the quickest. They also sell a special cart so you can move it yourself on its side.

Its rails do bounce a little faster than most other tables. Its pockets are tighter than most other tables. You might want to check one out for yourself at a local pool hall.
You can get League(4.75), Pro(4.5) or for extra $$ 4.25-4.00" corners. Pro cut is most common size. With the deeper shelf they're tough enough.

Pierre Shakes

Registered
Peacock Billiards uses four modified auto wheel dollies to move even 3-piece 9’ tables around the poolhall when making layout changes. Jack up one end, 2 dollies under; ditto other end. Push it into position and let it down.

Re-level just under the legs with round rubber shims 1/32” - 1/4” from Mueller's or others. Use a 12” mechanic's level, a carpenter's level won’t tell you anything. No need to take the rails, pockets, & bed cloth off.

The secret is to use bondo (auto body filler) on the joints, not wax. Besides what you apply on top with a putty knife for feathering, leave a gap of 1/16” between the slates so the bondo hold the slates together.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member

Appreciate your input!

If you want a table that is easy to move, yet has the ability to maintain dead level, your only option is Diamond.

Although, they are costly. It would be understandable if your establishment did not want to make the investment. So, let's focus on options for your current tables...

As is the case with all cabinet style designs, the slates will typically sag in the center. Not much that you can do about that. However, there are a few things that will help.

First, check the leveling feet... Often times, repeatedly moving tables will take its toll on the nuts that hold the leveling feet.. They may need to be replaced. This should allow you to get the tables level.

Another thing that a lot of people miss: STOP USING WORSTED CLOTH ON BAR TABLES! It is too fast for tables that will not maintain level. Additionally, the speeds vary greatly across all cloth manufacturers. In my opinion, Championship Mercury Ultra is about as fast of a cloth as you would want on those tables. Anything faster would be asking for trouble.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Yeh, we're just ready to find something that can withstand the frequent moving. These tables are shot. We have had new cloth installed once a year for the past few years running and the bed of the tables usually play pretty well. However, the guy who does the work has said multiple times that the rails are in rough shape, some bolts dont tighten down well, the holes the bolts go through into the rails are sloppy and after very little play there becomes a lip at the top of each cushion which is very annoying to feel while stroking or bridging on them. The lip also dings wooden shafts pretty easily.

But beyond the appearence, the tables have become impossible to get leveled. No matter how much time goes into lifting and spinning the feet, theres always bad roll off. Which is a lost cause anyhow because they are just going to be lifted and moved away before too long.

Was really thinking I'd get some quick, solid feedback on this question. We cant be the only establishment dealing with sharing space. Try the mechanic forum maybe?
Your rail issue is easily solved by replacing the current rails with either Ridgeback Rails or Penguin Amusement rails. They both offer high quality replacements.

There is absolutely no reason to think that your tables are "shot". Those tables should last several decades. All components are easily replaceable.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your rail issue is easily solved by replacing the current rails with either Ridgeback Rails or Penguin Amusement rails. They both offer high quality replacements.

There is absolutely no reason to think that your tables are "shot". Those tables should last several decades. All components are easily replaceable.
I totally agree on the Mercury Ultra for bb's. ANDY600 is not bad for a worsted on a bb. Not as fast as some others and lasts a long time. If this guy put on new rails and bolts the tables will play fine. I know places that have 25yr+ old Valleys that still play good with some upgrades.

snookered_again

a bit off topic but sometimes I have ot move heavy equipment in places that forklifts can't access or lift things myself way beyond my own physical abilities..

this is an old video where the guy shows how he moves giant concrete blocks single-handedly.. I found it interesting and I do use some of his techniques.. as an example, how can you lift a slate to get it on top of the table all by yourself without hurting your back ? Ive used ideas like his teeter totter approach quite successfully, with some degree of care , Yes it is possible. you do have to think ahead of your actions and ask what may go wrong.. I had to lift and move an extremely heavy cast iron bathtub, used similar ideas.. moved it across my yard, lifted it onto my back porch by myself.. all in baby steps.

pieces of pipe under a machine's base frame or between plywood sheets can move a lot of weight, without back strain.

I htink it's fun and interesting to watch, probably not a solution to the problem of moving a complete table without distorting it..

Yes I agree throwing a bunch of cash into a diamond table and some special lifting gear certainly does make sense if you want to buy a way to do it.. It depends on the budget..

so anyway for what it's worth, here is that link.