Seal a CF Shaft

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Never seen someone can't resolve a simple issue. Clean with alcohol easy fix....
Everyone agrees with your statement Scrub.

Got a white cotton cloth, wore a glove to protect my skin soaked it with isopropyl & cleaned my second shaft, till no more Black came off.
Played a couple hours, my hand was black again!

Humm, made me think of cue papers and doing an extremely light 3000 grit sanding of the CF, but I won't.
That may not help could make it worse.
I just think I'll have to wash my hands more often till this black transfer diminishes thru time.
This doesn't effect my game.

I've been in rooms where my hands were waaaay dirtier just from chalk.
My first shaft seems to transfer less since I've cleaned and played with it a couple weeks now.

Second comment
Got the second shaft yesterday, the threaded screw insert on this shaft was not machined as well as the first one, did tighten up/fit properly, but had a fair amount of lateral play as I put my cue together hummmmmmmm.

My first shaft fit so tight, that I HAD to use graphite and work it ''in'', till it connected like it's supposed to.
Tight and right.

My Kikel shafts fit pretty much the same since 89.

Second shaft, the threaded screw insert was not machined as tight as the first one.

I hope their joining metal they use isn't soft, and worsens.
But it's not a $600 shaft.
1/3 the price.

bm

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone agrees with your statement.

Got a white cotton cloth, wore a glove to protect my skin soaked it with isopropyl & cleaned my second shaft, till no more Black came off.
Played a couple hours, my hand was black again!

Humm, made me think of cue papers and doing an extremely light 3000 grit sanding of the CF, but I won't.
That may not help could make it worse.
I just think I'll have to wash my hands more often till this black transfer diminishes thru time.
This doesn't effect my game.

I've been in rooms where my hands were waaaay dirtier just from chalk.
My first shaft seems to transfer less since I've cleaned and played with it a couple weeks now.

Second comment
Got the second shaft yesterday, the threaded screw insert on this shaft was not machined as well as the first one, did tighten up/fit properly, but had a fair amount of lateral play as I put my cue together hummmmmmmm.

My first shaft fit so tight, that I HAD to use graphite and work it ''in'', till it connected like it's supposed to.
Tight and right.

My Kikel shafts fit pretty much the same since 89.

Second shaft, the threaded screw insert was not machined as tight as the first one.

I hope their joining metal they use isn't soft, and worsens.
But it's not a $600 shaft.
1/3 the price.

bm
If it was me i'd tell them i want the biggest pilot they have and then have a local cue guy turn down the pilot til it fit snug.

SSP

I have been cleaning my Becue shafts with the alcohol pads and using Renaissance Wax, works great, learned about the wax from another poster on this site, wax the shafts every 3 to 4 months. it does make them a little slicker but I still like wearing a glove.

dendweller

It really isn't a dramatic as it reads.

The island driver just didn't clean it well enough first time...I'm thinking.
they really shouldn't ship needing that much cleaning that wiping it down good doesn't do it.

Some cars have carbon fiber door handles. Could you imaging getting carbon fiber dust on your hands openning the door to your car? Would people say, it's not a big deal, you got a good price on that car.

Zerksies

Don't know about the wood contributing but depending on the pool hall's cleaning schedule, your hands can get pretty nasty for sure.
One of the pool halls in my area the guy never cleans the tables. The other they clean after it's used.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
It is surprising that with a problem like this they remain as popular as the seem to be.
Cost......Just wear a glove and save $400 + to try em out.
After I've used this it will be MUCH easier to compare it to the supposed better ones is my intent.
This for sure creates more spin than maple when cueing at the same speed at my maple shafts.

Yah gotta crawl before yah walk.
When your a new driver at 16, do you purchase a new high end car, or do you prefer to think different.

Spend 20K or go for the 50K car and higher insurance/tax/etc?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really isn't a dramatic as it reads.

The island driver just didn't clean it well enough first time...I'm thinking.
When i clean mine now hardly any black shows. I've heard that RainX is really good on cf shafts as a sealer. I don't see the need based on my exp.

dendweller

Cost......Just wear a glove and save $400 + to try em out.
After I've used this it will be MUCH easier to compare it to the supposed better ones is my intent.
This for sure creates more spin than maple when cueing at the same speed at my maple shafts.

Yah gotta crawl before yah walk.
When your a new driver at 16, do you purchase a new high end car, or do you prefer to think different.

Spend 20K or go for the 50K car and higher insurance/tax/etc?
makes sense, thought you were in for the long run when you said you bought 2