Seal a CF Shaft

KUKABUKA

What does a glove protect against? I think your shaft either needs to be cleaned or you need more than a glove...

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who is the manufacturer. I have played with several from different companies and never had one leave any residue on my hand.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then a sealant, recommendation?
I use car care products on wood so they gotta be ok on CF. The slickest I've come across so far is Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic. The trick is not shaking it. This leaves the solids which are the tacky part) on the bottom of the bottle. Literally one drop on a folded paper towel will slick the whole shaft for a couple hours before you even notice it wearing. If you want a sealer, there are ceramic sealers but the coating is a hair more tacky. Might not matter to you.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Not everyone reacts to chemicals the same.

Wear two gloves. Donate the chemicals to the lab.

Unless you want a viral shopping spree for the minor issues in pool.

Then clean the CF with a microfiber, dump it in solution of oils, air pressure wash it with mineral salts, then air dry it with a mist composing of water and nasal inhibitors. Allow it to heat dry in a special tray for the oven.

All these parts can re synthesize into a useful end agent. A properly cleaned shaft, and well lubricated for temporary ideal action. You will have to manage wear and tear based on your usage and errors.

Last edited:

dendweller

Is there a good way to seal it and no longer have to play with a glove to keep your skin clean. :)
I've seen two different cue makers in the Ask a cuemaker forum asking that same question, trying to come up with a way to seal the shaft so it isn't leaving black lines on rails and cf residue on their customers hands.
You may want to stick with wood for the time being if that bothers you. My 2 cents.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this makes me wonder, how did the greats of years ago play so well with their with plain maple shafts- no gloves - smoke filled rooms - napped cloth- old fashioned ( if any) HVAC systems? Imagine Mosconi showing up night after night running hundreds for exhibitions on commercial room tables, dark rooms- mostly- rooms jammed with people, probably 70% of them smoking in the room, etc. etc. and still no thought whatsoever of shaft slickness except for maybe a towel, possibly some talc!

In the end, it really is a mental thing- in this modern sports age we often look for every available short cut to the real truth about how to become a better player- whether it is golf, pool, tennis, baseball, etc.

Remember the Hustler pool cue case- no pockets, just a cue and shaft (s). I remember as late as 2005- an old time player- Mt. Vernon Tommy- showing up at the pool room with his envelope style case, no pockets on the case, one shaft- just pulled out the cue and shot better than anyone in the room!
brunswickcase1.JPG
This one is mine- just like the day it was purchased!

Last edited:

skiergd011013

you can clean it with alcohol, and slicken it up with pledge furniture polish. You said you are wearing a glove to keep your hands clean from the shaft? If the shaft is leaving any residue on your hands then you got ripped off and bought a questionable product from an unreputable source. I have never heard of a cf shaft leaving a residue on someones hands.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a good way to seal it and no longer have to play with a glove to keep your skin clean. :)
What are you sealing it from?
But first of all what brand shaft is this? There's two on the market that's different from the rest in terms of the surface, that's Pechauer and McDermott. Pechauer states you should use pledge or a similar product. McDermott Siege just have a weird coating you will have to live with. All other shafts I know of cleans easily with denatured alcohol, no need for any further polish and certainly no sealer of any sort.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
No it's the shaft, did clean it yesterday hot water soap.
Did help a little, but no.
No I don't wear a glove, just thought it might help others.
But the debris left in the glove is still there not good for cloth.
I'll try the alcohol and then some wax or? that I have laying around.
It's a rhino shaft, it works better than my new Kikel maple shafts, period.
Been with my Kikel since 89.

bm

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Revo shaft shed a little carbon for the first couple of weeks.

Predator recommends cleaning the shaft with rubbing alcohol > 90%. No water. The idea is to remove any abrasive particles to keep the shaft from becoming polished. Some amount of roughness makes the shaft slip more easily against skin.

(The original Cuetec fiberglass cues were horribly sticky until they learned the surface had to be roughened. The temporary solution was to use sandpaper on them.)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I used pure Silicone then wiped rhino down with a white cloth.
Eventually I had wiped enough and he black was not coming off anymore.
I'll know after an hr or so if I'm done cleaning.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Not everyone reacts to chemicals the same.

Wear two gloves. Donate the chemicals to the lab.

Unless you want a viral shopping spree for the minor issues in pool.

Then clean the CF with a microfiber, dump it in solution of oils, air pressure wash it with mineral salts, then air dry it with a mist composing of water and nasal inhibitors. Allow it to heat dry in a special tray for the oven.

All these parts can re synthesize into a useful end agent. A properly cleaned shaft, and well lubricated for temporary ideal action. You will have to manage wear and tear based on your usage and errors.
WTF is this, are you serious?
I'm just curious, is something wrong with you brain???? I'm sure that there are others here wondering the same thing.