Matchroom WNT Premier League Pool (PLP) 18-25 March2024, Connecticut, $100K Prize Fund

jbart65

Much stronger than in past years,
Were any of the wildcards even under 800 Fargo? Bernie I think was lowest at 790+ They didn't perform well, but I wouldn't say they were weak.
No, they weren't weak. But ...

Feliciano isn't disciplined enough.
Bernie was a tad too young.
Jin-Hu Dang didn't play much at MR events after he won the Spanish Open last spring. Didn't seem in form.

Alcaide can't be explained, but he was a late addition.

I would have loved to see Niels, my favorite player. He never goes down without a fight!

JPB2

I enjoyed this tournament immensely.
Crazy tough and I feel like I know many of the players better after watching in this format. It seemed that they were really having fun with each other.
The Ko brothers are very likable and so talented.
Congrats to all and Shane...you played fantastic.
I only watched some highlights. But in the semi final Ko Ping-chun apologized for a 9 ball break.

***Rant alert with hyperbole or sarcasm possible***

I found this horrible. The little hand wave of apology because the 9 got kicked in the side. Disgusting. The little hand wave started as I understand it in billiards. Three cushion players would give the little hand wave when they scratched one. It wasn't a thing in pool. Let alone 9-ball. ESPECIALLY on the break. Please. And the rules seem to be changed all the time to make the break harder, more random etc... 9 ball is a short rack game. An early 9 wins you the cash. Since when was it a delicate little game with no luck allowed? I think this is where the ridiculous call everything no early 10 ball 10 ball rules started. Boring and useless to make open break short rack games luck free. But that is where the trend has gone. Play a longer race or whatever.

Even in billiards, an old player schooled me. He was mentioned in one of the Byrne books when he talked of playing at the Denver Athletic Club. This player passed a few years ago about a month short of 100 years old and was known as a gentleman. At 38th and Sheridan he told me what to do when you scratch one in 3C. Give them the little hand wave/apology then try to run 4-5 more to really tilt the opponent. I expect this in 3C.

In 9 ball I expect silence. Or Keith McCready saying "Oh, the impossible dream" or "Like a nightmare..." I don't want the handwave. I mean really. Is the guy who made the 9 ball expected to control all kisses between all 10 balls flying around and ensure there is no favorable roll? If he gets kicked into a scratch am I supposed to give him a little hug or teddy bear or something? Please. Stop this hand wave in 9 ball now.

It is even worse than the phony thing the pro golfers do now where they take off their hats to shake hands on the 18th hole. They may do this because taking the sponsor off TV for 20 seconds is the ultimate form of respect now. But in better times men generally didn't take their hats off outside for other men. Of course the player making a show of phony etiquette outside while shaking hands will leave the hat on at an indoor press conference. Sponsor over etiquette right? It would mean more if they followed Hogan and Snead and had hats without logos and wore a jacket and no hat to accept the trophy. That won't happen except at the Masters I guess.

Rant over. Nothing personal on Ko Ping-chun. Great player and I'm sure the hand wave is motivated by good intentions. That doesn't mean I like it. Nor would I set up a series of rules to make it a foul or yellow card or whatever nonsense happens at some tournaments now. But just don't do it. If it is for the match just shake hands with neither gloating nor phony gestures. In a cash game just play another game or set. No need for calling extra attention to good luck which is an inherent part of the game. And there is some chance that this expression of guilt/unworthiness might take a little from your competitive edge. IMO.

ACL

I know Jason is sponsored by Rasson. I also know Matchroom has named Rasson “the official table of Matchroom Pool”. Not because Rasson are the best table available or even a quality table, but because Rasson paid Queen Emily and Matchroom a large sum of money to be named the official table.

Regarding the “pros being happy”. For the record, the “pros” would play on cardboard tables with tinfoil balls colored with Easter Egg dye while wearing Ronald McDonald outfits if the $ is right.

Rasson tables are Chinese junk that can flex up to an inch when leaned on and are impossible to keep level for any period of time. The best players in the world should play on the best equipment available, not equipment that is used because the manufacturer is willing to pay Matchroom millions.
You know a lot and obviously have a hair across your ass regarding anything to do with MR.

I play on those tables all the time and other than obvious wear to the cloth, the tables still play as true as they did when they were installed in September.

For the record, if pros would play on anything for the right money, why were there so many complaints with the Predator tables recently? By your logic, they were getting paid so they should have been happy.

Regarding your final comment, name one sport that wouldn't take sponsorship money to use their product.

Badpenguin

I know Jason is sponsored by Rasson. I also know Matchroom has named Rasson “the official table of Matchroom Pool”. Not because Rasson are the best table available or even a quality table, but because Rasson paid Queen Emily and Matchroom a large sum of money to be named the official table.

Regarding the “pros being happy”. For the record, the “pros” would play on cardboard tables with tinfoil balls colored with Easter Egg dye while wearing Ronald McDonald outfits if the $ is right.

Rasson tables are Chinese junk that can flex up to an inch when leaned on and are impossible to keep level for any period of time. The best players in the world should play on the best equipment available, not equipment that is used because the manufacturer is willing to pay Matchroom millions.
His name is Jayson, not Jason.

These tables happened to be owned by Jayson Shaw, it is his pool hall. Nothing to do with matchroom. SVB is also sponsored by Rasson.

I find it hard to believe that these tables will flex up to an inch from being leaned on. Leaned on by what? An elephant?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

diamond is their main table sponsor, for the world championships and all the open events. rasson is only for the invitationals. and flex? which model are you thinking of?

DaWizard

I only watched some highlights. But in the semi final Ko Ping-chun apologized for a 9 ball break.

***Rant alert with hyperbole or sarcasm possible***

--
😄 I like your rant about a small thing. I agree-ish. The Japanese or Germans surely have a word for such a rant!

DaWizard

There must also be a word for the empty feeling one experiences the day after a big tournament. Every day there's great pool and then suddenly nothing.
I asked ChatGPT 10 suggestions for sports in general:
Post-Game Void
Victory Hangover
The Final Whistle Blues
Champion's Lull
Arena Silence Syndrome
Aftermath Emptiness
The No-More-Roar Day
Post-Tournament Melancholy
The Empty Stadium Effect
Beyond the Finish Line Desolation

And 10 for pool specifically:
Cue Silence Sorrow
After-Rack Loneliness
Break Shot Blues
8-Ball Withdrawal
Final Scratch Sadness
Cue Stick Quiet
Green Felt Grief
Pocketed Dreams Downtime
Chalk Dust Despair
Rack Reset Remorse

Reactions: ACL

ACL

There must also be a word for the empty feeling one experiences the day after a big tournament. Every day there's great pool and then suddenly nothing.
Yep, it is going to be so weird. I don't know what to do with myself. :ROFLMAO:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is this an optical illusion at 1:05:59 on this jump shot replay? ...
The close overhead camera does not accurately show the line of the cue stick. Often it looks like the player has no chance to hit the ball on elevated shots and then he hits it full. Also, the overhead often makes it look like they are using sidespin when they are not.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this an optical illusion at 1:05:59 on this jump shot replay?
There may be some distortion, but I think he was aiming it that way on purpose. He is using the deflection, and a lot of spin. Maybe the best shot of the match. SVB was pretty pumped up for that last rack. He overstroked a couple shots, but recovered spectacularly.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else see when Shane was safetied, the object ball was probably a foot from the cue ball with a ball between them. He had the jump or one rail kick, but did a 3 rail kick to push it to the far end of the table. Such confidence, amazing.