Matchroom WNT Premier League Pool (PLP) 18-25 March2024, Connecticut, $100K Prize Fund

SA96

Really don't understand the schedule.

Each semi-final should be on table 1. Fans should not be forced to watch one semi-final.

kitsap

Registered
That is all....

Screenshot 2024-03-25 185003.jpg

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I enjoyed this tournament immensely.
Crazy tough and I feel like I know many of the players better after watching in this format. It seemed that they were really having fun with each other.
The Ko brothers are very likable and so talented.
Congrats to all and Shane...you played fantastic.

DaWizard

Congrats SVB!! Amazing performance in such a strong field. Seemingly he had a dip in focus or stamina, but he overcame and won. Massive respect!

My take on the tournament:
+ almost all super elite in one pressure cooker
+ the tight pockets create a slightly different dynamic: different shot choices and sudden misses
+ visually pleasing
+ short races, but enough time in a match to show strength. Also nice for the shorter attention span.
+ see the elite pros perform against every other elite player
+ good commentary
+ watched T1 for free on Youtube

- it did feel a bit long and dragged out
- how to keep "dead" players focused?
- the 'audience' were the same couple faces every day, it seemed.

All together a great and unique event! One of the best in terms of playing quality and entertainment.

Would have loved to cheer on Niels Feijen, but I think he wouldn't have gotten in the top half.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh look, SVB won another event with a small field, can’t wait to hear the detractors on this one… lololol!
It’s not detractors .. It was fact lol he was losing all the big tournaments to the same guys. during that period he didn’t have the same fire he had for years. . He turned it around and now he looks like himself again. We are all glad but that doesn’t change the past.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh look, SVB won another event with a small field, can’t wait to hear the detractors on this one… lololol!
It's just facts. Only 16 players at the start, lots of chances with the round-robin format to warm up, so it was easy to get into the final four. Then he only had to win two matches -- not even a proper double elimination. Easy day at the office.

Just in case.... ;)

jbart65

Easy to get into the Final 4? Surely, you can't mean that, Bob.

The field was tough and the tourney was long. It surely taxed the patience of all the players!

When SVB finally won, as you saw, he briefly laid his head down on the table as if to pretend taking a nap. He was exhausted! Then Ko gave him a playful poke of his stick as if to wake him up. (-:

I saw a lot of mistakes I never see throughout the tourney. And some players like Ouschan and Shaw really got visibly frustrated and it affected their game.

I watched a ton of pool - fast forwarding between shots - and really enjoyed the tourney. Very interesting to see how the pros approach layouts.

I do think the event is one day too long and too rushed at the end. It should end on Sunday instead of a Monday.

I'd do a round robin the first five days (Mon-Fri), then cut the field down to eight players.

Then start the playoffs on Saturday 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 and so forth, playing races to 9 with alternate break.

Finish on Sunday with the final four. Races to 9 in the semis, race to 11 in the final.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy to get into the Final 4? Surely, you can't mean that, Bob.

The field was tough and the tourney was long. It surely taxed the patience of all the players!

When SVB finally won, as you saw, he briefly laid his head down on the table as if to pretend taking a nap. He was exhausted! Then Ko gave him a playful poke of his stick as if to wake him up. (-:

I saw a lot of mistakes I never see throughout the tourney. And some players like Ouschan and Shaw really got visibly frustrated and it affected their game.

I watched a ton of pool - fast forwarding between shots - and really enjoyed the tourney. Very interesting to see how the pros approach layouts.

I do think the event is one day too long and too rushed at the end. It should end on Sunday instead of a Monday.

I'd do a round robin the first five days (Mon-Fri), then cut the field down to eight players.

Then start the playoffs on Saturday 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 and so forth, playing races to 9 with alternate break.

Finish on Sunday with the final four. Races to 9 in the semis, race to 11 in the final.
I think Bob was being a wee bit facetious. Notice the winking emoji at the end.

jbart65

I think Bob was being a wee bit facetious. Notice the winking emoji at the end.
Guess I have to get used to his sense of humor. (-:

That was a tough field. Next year I bet it will be even tougher. The wild card choices this time around were not good.

ACL

Maybe Jason shouldn’t have installed those shite Rasson tables in his room when he renovated and gone with Diamonds instead. These 2 guys are in the Junk business and will gladly take the current ones off his hands. View attachment 750679
The tables are very good and play well. All the pros who played on them in September and the past week were very happy with them. Plus, Jayson is sponsored by Rasson.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
The tables are very good and play well. All the pros who played on them in September and the past week were very happy with them. Plus, Jayson is sponsored by Rasson.
I know Jason is sponsored by Rasson. I also know Matchroom has named Rasson “the official table of Matchroom Pool”. Not because Rasson are the best table available or even a quality table, but because Rasson paid Queen Emily and Matchroom a large sum of money to be named the official table.

Regarding the “pros being happy”. For the record, the “pros” would play on cardboard tables with tinfoil balls colored with Easter Egg dye while wearing Ronald McDonald outfits if the $ is right.

Rasson tables are Chinese junk that can flex up to an inch when leaned on and are impossible to keep level for any period of time. The best players in the world should play on the best equipment available, not equipment that is used because the manufacturer is willing to pay Matchroom millions.

• Haha
Reactions: ACL

Atorontopoolplayer

Guess I have to get used to his sense of humor. (-:

That was a tough field. Next year I bet it will be even tougher. The wild card choices this time around were not good.
Much stronger than in past years,
Were any of the wildcards even under 800 Fargo? Bernie I think was lowest at 790+ They didn't perform well, but I wouldn't say they were weak.