Pre shot routine ???

Woofresh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A PSR should almost be automatic... I rarely think about anything specific... I usually "air" stroke before I get down... envision the path of the shot and see it happening before I shoot... line up and set my cue down slow...

it's not like I HAVE to air stroke EXACTLY 8 times before I shoot... then it gets too specific... but, keep it the same whether it's an easy or hard shot... it's almost an attempt to be robotic as possible...

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
You can observe a lot just by watching. -Yogi Berra

Observing is learning. Everyone is different and we are all creatures of habit. You have to find your own routine and work on it until it becomes automatic.
Do you ever stop to think about how you are going to go get in your car to drive somewhere? Probably not, because you have ingrained a routine for doing this and you don't think about it. You just do it.
Some mental thoughts while I am going through the pre shot routine are, Relax, breath, eyes to my target, smooth cueing motion, relaxed grip hand, finish the stroke.
Here is an example of what I do on "most shots."
Assuming you already know how to establish the target line and line of aim.
Begin pre shot routine:
All my visualization, aiming and decision making is done standing up, behind the shot. I am also rehersing the stroke I want to make while standing. I call these "air strokes."
Once I am sure of what I want to do, then I step into the shot. End pre shot routine.
Transition from standing to bending down.
I make sure that my feet/body and head are aligned properly.
I am looking at my target as I bend down to my set/ready position.
Getting comfortable.
If something doesn't feel or look right, I come back up to half way and back down to make some final micro adjustments.
If it still doesn't feel or look right I will stand all the way up and start over from the beginning.
Shot execution.
If all looks and feels well I begin my warm up strokes while looking at the cueball. I take three warm up strokes. Once my final warm up stoke is done, I pause and look at the oblect ball for a couple of seconds before starting my backswing. I make sure my backswing starts slow and pauses at the end before beginning the forward stroke. At the end of my forward stroke my hand contacts my chest which stops the cue.
Feedback.
Before getting up, I verify my tip position is down so that if I miss the shot, I can learn why. Also to see what happened with the shot. Did I grip the cue too tightly? Did I steer the cue? This is the post shot routine and is vital to the learning process. Once I can identify why I missed I can go and work on drills specific to that root cause.
This series of events has to be practiced individually to make them work together. Then rehearsed over and over again until it's like driving your car.
I hope this helps you. Just know that if you want to improve, change is needed. You will probably find it difficult to change, because as humans we don't like change. It takes work and a lot of it. Good luck.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
Observing is learning. Everyone is different and we are all creatures of habit. You have to find your own routine and work on it until it becomes automatic.
Do you ever stop to think about how you are going to go get in your car to drive somewhere? Probably not, because you have ingrained a routine for doing this and you don't think about it. You just do it.
Some mental thoughts while I am going through the pre shot routine are, Relax, breath, eyes to my target, smooth cueing motion, relaxed grip hand, finish the stroke.
Begin pre shot routine:
All my visualization, aiming and decision making is done standing up, behind the shot. I am also rehersing the stroke I want to make while standing. I call these "air strokes."
Once I am sure of what I want to do, then I step into the shot. End pre shot routine.
Getting comfortable.
If something doesn't feel or look right, I come back up to half way and back down to make some final micro adjustments.
If it still doesn't feel or look right I will stand all the way up and start over from the beginning.
Shot execution.
If all looks and feels well I begin my warm up strokes while looking at the cueball. I take three warm up strokes. Once my final warm up stoke is done, I pause and look at the oblect ball for a couple of seconds before starting my backswing. I make sure my backswing starts slow and pauses at the end before beginning the forward stroke. At the end of my forward stroke my hand contacts my chest which stops the cue.
Feedback.
Before getting up, I verify my tip position is down so that if I miss the shot, I can learn why. Also to see what happened with the shot. Did I grip the cue too tightly? Did I steer the cue? This is the post shot routine and is vital to the learning process. Once I can identify why I missed I can go and work on drills specific to that root cause.
This series of events has to be practiced individually to make them work together. Then rehearsed over and over again until it's like driving your car.
I hope this helps you. Just know that if you want to improve, change is needed. You will probably find it difficult to change, because as humans we don't like change. It takes work and a lot of it. Good luck.

Thanks, that is good info

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too Pops! What Big C wrote sounds vaguely familiar! LOL :D Eddie...your day is coming in 3 weeks!

Scott Lee
I like what BIG C posted.

Remember, there are three pre-shot routines.
1. THINK
2. SEE
3. DO

Good luck
randyg

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Planning

1) step back from the table and analyze the situation; where you're going to pocket the OB and where/how you need to move the CB for shape on the next OB.

2) use your favorite aiming method to align aim for the shot. Visualize the aim line that the cue will follow.

Note: the above only works for me if I'm chalking non-stop during the planning process. :wink:

Approach (no more planning! that part is done and not to be revisited)

1) place right foot on the aim line; left foot where comfortable.

2) place bridge-hand on the table with the tip at the spot on the CB I intend to hit. Look at CB and tip, then OB to see if aim line alignment looks right.

3) take practice strokes to see if I'm moving the cue straight. Any deviation is usually caused by my grip; make sure my thumb is pointing down and wrist is loose.

4) Finalize speed/hit needed. For some reason I need to be down on a shot to get a real feel for the cue speed required to execute the shot. You might be able to do it earlier.

Execution (no more planning or approaching; if anything seems wrong stand up and start over; do not attempt to change aim or stance while down on the shot)

1) Take 3 practice strokes "in-time" with breathing. Inhale/backstroke, exhale/forwardstroke. Quiet eyes -- all focus is on the OB.

2) stroke and follow-through.

3) Keep my eyes focused on the point where the CB hits the OB for at least 1 full second (one one-thousand -- it's longer than you think).

Mike Page of Fargo Billiards has an excellent video on youtube about preshot routine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP5hLNkWjdo

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key word is routine. Big C made very good points but keep it the same every time no matter how you figure it out. I have seen players jump two levels in confidence by doing the same routine every time.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed! Absolutely essential if you expect to create a process that will be successful on a subconscious level! :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The key word is routine. Big C made very good points but keep it the same every time no matter how you figure it out. I have seen players jump two levels in confidence by doing the same routine every time.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Thanks, that is good info
Just a little note about how powerful a sound pre shot routine is. I walked away from the game four years ago to work on my health and fitness. Both mental and physical. I sold all my cues, cases and even my beloved Diamond Pro Am 9' table that was setup by The Real King Cobra himself. As of a couple of weeks ago, I literally did not hit a single ball in those four years. But I am hungry again. I wanted to get back to the table and play around to see what I was missing and what I was still capable of doing. So I did. I walked into a local pool room and played for 3 hours with a wall-a-bushka. I loved every minute of it. It was a little slow going at first. But within the first hour of playing I was able to break a rack of 15 balls, take ball in hand and run out in rotation. I did that twice more before leaving for the night. I was able to recall my old routine and with a little more practice, it will be like I never left. I am looking forward to playing more and I am even looking for another cue. I love this game.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
this will enable you to "get down on each shot as if it's already been made".

Can you guys give some examples of your psr. I don't know if I follow a psr. And anything helpful would be appreciated.

You will certainly want to establish 5 essential fundamentals in your pre shot routine - this will enable you to "get down on each shot as if it's already been made".

1) Distance from the cue ball

2) Right and left body positions relative to the "line of the shot" using your feet as the foundation - right foot controls the right side, left foot controls the left body side.

3) Finding your "visual center" so your head and body are square to the upcoming shot.

4) Connecting your cue to your body through your hands and hip for feel, and consistency.

5) Go down on the shot from your "feet up" as opposed to your "hands down" so you can maintain and control your upper body angles ie: back, hips, shoulders, and arms. This technique also allows the player to "clear their hips" so the can maintain a square, natural look at the shot.

Last edited:

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
find a psr that works for you. start with the advice you get from people, but in reality it will have to evolve as you play and will get better as you have "click" moments when you realize what is working for you and what isn't. my advice is whatever your psr is you need to lock it in and concentrate on every shot even if you feel it's an easy shot that doesn't need as much attention. wrong. all shots need the same attention to detail, even that duck near the corner. if you don't properly line yourself up for a shot your body (and thus your whole aiming line) may end up being more out of line than you intended. whoops hit the wrong side of the pocket and now you hooked yourself due to bad position. concentrate on ALL shots.

If you want to force yourself on getting comfortable locking your psr in, take some time (as much as you can get) and just set up basic shots that require no real cue action (stop shots are actually the best) and give each and every one your full attention and complete psr all the way through staying down until the ball hits the back of the pocket. You'll get comfortable quickly, but I recommend hitting at least a thousand or more shots like this...

VVP

Registered
You can observe a lot just by watching. -Yogi Berra

Begin pre shot routine:

Getting comfortable.
Shot execution.
Feedback.
Nice to see a lot of discussion on this site about pre-shot routine. I think the advice above is useful except where it says "End pre shot routine." In trap shooting, you are taught that your pre-shot routine starts from the time it's your turn to shoot to the INSTANT you pull the trigger. When you pull the trigger, it's only your subconscious and muscle memory that should be at work. In the above sequence I would say pre shot routine ends at the beginning of the final stroke.

Another thing that we are taught in trap is that you only need to concentrate when it's your turn to shoot. In between shots, when other people are shooting you should relax, work on breathing if you are tense, and look at the target and visualize breaking them. If you try to concentrate for the whole round you would be most likely hurting yourself. One thing to note is the importance of a pre-shot routine in games like pool, golf and trap.

libtrucker

2DC07563-89D5-4A64-BE95-7F6553719112.jpeg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you guys give some examples of your psr. I don't know if I follow a psr. And anything helpful would be appreciated.
Watch some pro pool on youtube. All have a psr. You'll just have to develop one. Do it on EVERY shot. Even the dead hangers. Its has to become part of you.