McDermott id

KillerBoo

So, I picked up this McDermott cue from a friend, unfortunately no shaft included.
Neither of us had even a rough idea of its value but I loved the appearance and the feel of leather wrap, he only had it sitting in an old case, never to be used, so we agreed on a price that both were ok with.
Landed just short of the equiv to USD 80.

Now I need to decide on wether to buy a new shaft or use my existing Haag shaft and have the cuemaker -Haag cues who made the shaft from the beginning- change joints on my existing shaft at appx USD 40.
I like the Haag shaft, I'm used to how it plays etc etc and it's a cheap solution.
But... how would you go about this?
Use my existing shaft?
New shaft? If so, G-core, i-series? 3rd party maker?
Any downsides to changing joints.
Also, does anyone know what model of McDermott I got? It says Mike Massey in gold.

210db51ce036524f50be723155403e18.jpg
2c7a03320fb5341bfaa25b4360e92403.jpg
20bca4b614dfa8700d4b6961de6caa73.jpg

Skickat från min SM-G988B via Tapatalk

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I'd send the butt to McDermott and have them make the shaft in the specs you want. FYI, "cheap" is not a spec.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd send the butt to McDermott and have them make the shaft in the specs you want. FYI, "cheap" is not a spec.
THIS:

A McDermott shaft would be a pretty close fit but they finish their cues matched up with the original shaft. They will tell you to send in the butt. You like the cue, get a perfect fit.

KillerBoo

Cheap isn't a spec in my book either
Bang for bucks is interesting though and since I live in Scandinavia, ordering from the US means that shipping costs, import taxes etc will have a significant impact on the price total.
Why a McD shaft instead of a 3rd party maker? To keep the que original and add to the possible value? Or because of performance? Looks?

KillerBoo

THIS:

A McDermott shaft would be a pretty close fit but they finish their cues matched up with the original shaft. They will tell you to send in the butt. You like the cue, get a perfect fit.
So will Haag cues here in Sweden. I send my shaft and butt to them, they match them together.
Shipping to and from the US plus import taxes means another 100-130 USD on top of the shaft itself

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Bang for bucks is interesting though and since I live in Scandinavia, ordering from the US means that shipping costs, import taxes etc will have a significant impact on the price total.
Why a McD shaft instead of a 3rd party maker? To keep the que original and add to the possible value? Or because of performance? Looks?

Says the guy that just bought a shaft-less cue butt for $80.00 USD and is worried about shipping costs on an OEM shaft for it? And couldn't google Mike+Massey+McDermott to figure out what he had?

Good luck - my guess is you take the cheap easy route.

KillerBoo

Says the guy that just bought a shaft-less cue butt for $80.00 USD and is worried about shipping costs on an OEM shaft for it? And couldn't google Mike+Massey+McDermott to figure out what he had?

Oh well thanks anyway.
If the butt cost this or that isnt the issue here, at least not for me.
I liked it so I bought it, end of that.
Can you instead tell my why to go McD instead of, say, Viking or whatever?
And why to send the butt to US instead of getting an off-the-rack shaft from the swedish retailer? I'm not sure what I will gain from the extra 100 or so dollars.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes no sense to me to send that cue butt all the way to McDermott for a cost of $130 - or more depending upon what McDermott wants for shipping to Scandinavia- insurance, etc. ctc. PLUS the cost of a McDermott shaft- And if you get it back from McDermott and something is not right with it-(possible) - now what?

This cue is just not worth all that risk-- you already have a cue butt that you like a lot and you have a shaft for it that you also like a lot- just have your local cue maker change out that shaft's thread to fit your McDermott- he said that he can do it for $40- end of debates. My guess is that he will plug the shaft and retap it at 3/8 10 or he will install a 3/8 10 insert into that shaft- and for $40 US you are good to go with a cue butt and shaft that you like.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t change the Haag shaft you currently have. You like it on your current cue but may not like it for your new McDermott and you no longer have it for your current cue. Just buy a new shaft from any supply house. Pick the one that you feel will most likely fit your play, even if it is another Haag. Although I’m not a big fan of the G-core shaft, all McDermott shafts play fine.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

KillerBoo

Makes no sense to me to send that cue butt all the way to McDermott for a cost of $130 - or more depending upon what McDermott wants for shipping to Scandinavia- insurance, etc. ctc. PLUS the cost of a McDermott shaft- And if you get it back from McDermott and something is not right with it-(possible) - now what?

This cue is just not worth all that risk-- you already have a cue butt that you like a lot and you have a shaft for it that you also like a lot- just have your local cue maker change out that shaft's thread to fit your McDermott- he said that he can do it for $40- end of debates. My guess is that he will plug the shaft and retap it at 3/8 10 or he will install a 3/8 10 insert into that shaft- and for $40 US you are good to go with a cue butt and shaft that you like.
Thanks for the realistic input.
Don't know which way to go, hence the questions that for some ppl seem to be stupid enough. I only want to know what my different options will get me. If this or that is a dumb way to go, or if it's realistic and meaningful to spend like 100-150 usd extra for "the same" G-core shaft matched w my butt instead of off the shelf. It's not so much the money itself as if
it's worth it in the end.
Keeping my old shaft is ONE option. Getting a newbuilt Haag another.
Or McD off the shelf.
Or Vikings Xact Shot off the shelf.
100+ dollars just in shipping etc for McD matched together is not really appealing, to me, w/o even knowing what that gets me compared to the off the shelf shaft

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
emoji3.png

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
If you send the butt to McDermott and they make the shaft to your specs, they stand behind it. I'd think you know that Mike.

OP can do whatever but it's clear buying a butt for 80 bucks, that's never stroked a ball in his hands, because of the "looks" and "leather wrap feel" while claiming it's not a money thing except every reply talks about cost...is, well, obvious. Maybe I missed it but is this "favorite Haag shaft" on another butt? Is having two cues bad? Is there no merit to owning a complete McDermott cue? This isn't like putting some high dollar LD shaft on a real shooter.

Anyway - Like I said you'll do what's cheap and easy, right or wrong.

KillerBoo

If you send the butt to McDermott and they make the shaft to your specs, they stand behind it. I'd think you know that Mike.

OP can do whatever but it's clear buying a butt for 80 bucks, that's never stroked a ball in his hands, because of the "looks" and "leather wrap feel" while claiming it's not a money thing except every reply talks about cost...is, well, obvious. Maybe I missed it but is this "favorite Haag shaft" on another butt? Is having two cues bad? Is there no merit to owning a complete McDermott cue? This isn't like putting some high dollar LD shaft on a real shooter.

Anyway - Like I said you'll do what's cheap and easy, right or wrong.
Ok, to make things clear then:
Yes, I own a Meucci which I use frequently. Got the original shaft plus a Haag one.
I also have an older Viking with a Vikore shaft.
On top of that some noname 5.280 or something j/b
And an extra Haag shaft w no butt. Joint unknown, not Meucci and not McD.

I don't even know if I'lleven use the McD when it comes down to it. I liked the look, I liked the feel of it and it felt good to shoot with( using the shaft my buddy was keeping as backup for his other McD) If I hang in the wall rack, play with it or use it as firewood will be determined later. I still have no clue if I overpaid or not and it really doesnt matter to me. It' beautiful in my eyes.
I still want to know why you recommend sending the butt to the US instead of a McD shaft from a retailers stock?
Does it make that much of a difference?

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I've owned 4 McDermott cues and all hit great in my opinion...If it was me I'd get a McDermott shaft from a retailer, I've had good luck with very close match up's with McDermott when I did that..Not enough to make a difference..This is what I would do but it's just my opinion..

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO, the only reason to send it to McDermott is to replace the pin, with something other than 3/8x10, or to match it up with a shaft that you are having tapped to a 3/8x10. I wouldn’t do either. Just buy a 3/8 x10 shaft that you think you may like and play with it. I have several McDermotts and have shafts ranging from $60 (no name) maple shafts to a $370 CF Defy shaft. My shafts also include Predator and OB. All shafts have lined up well with the McDermott butts. You may want to measure the joint width so you can match it perfectly, if you have that option.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measure the joint.

Have McDermott make the shaft joint diameter about 1mm oversized and do not finish the joint with clear coat.

Have your local guy finish it up to your butt.

Or, buy an after-market shaft from whoever you choose.

KillerBoo

IMO, the only reason to send it to McDermott is to replace the pin, with something other than 3/8x10, or to match it up with a shaft that you are having tapped to a 3/8x10. I wouldn’t do either. Just buy a 3/8 x10 shaft that you think you may like and play with it. I have several McDermotts and have shafts ranging from $60 (no name) maple shafts to a $370 CF Defy shaft. My shafts also include Predator and OB. All shafts have lined up well with the McDermott butts. You may want to measure the joint width so you can match it perfectly, if you have that option.

Ah, thanks.
I think that's the way I'm going. Probably a G-Core but possibly an "i-series" LD shaft.
From what I gather, changing joints on my existing shaft is the least desirable while most advice says get a retail shaft. No shipping of the butt across the globe for little or no gain.

Thanks, now I have an idea of how to proceed.