Black permanent marker on shaft

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few shafts that the previous owner put black perm. marker on the shafts to mark the grain, does anyone know a
good way to get the black marks off the shaft without hurting the shaft. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Tom

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, I don’t think there is any way to get sharpie off of a shaft if it’s on the bare wood at all. It would be absorbed deep into the pores. There is a chance if it’s on the finished section.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I had a crazy gf write how much of an ahole I was all over the mirrors in the house with a sharpie. I tried alcohol because I had it handy. No dice. Nail polish remover took it off.

95% denatured wipes Sharpie right off.

Most household stuff is 70%

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must depend on the marker.
Early signed one i made a couple years ago.
Then realized it was my best player, and kept using it.
You can sort of still see the signature, turned the right way in the right light.
Signature is up near joint, doesn't get any real contact, but it's about gone all by itself.

I use a sharpie in the shop to mark dials & table position on machines when needing to keep track for machining parts. (No DRO's)
An ethyl alcohol rag (Not isopropyl) takes it off instantly.

smt

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anything still remains on the shaft after using alcohol and other liquid mixes, you can possibly go over the shaft with 1500 grit paper- it would not take any shaft changing amounts of wood off the shaft- but may help to remove any last remnants of the sharpie, and put a sheen back on that shaft.

Rotate the shaft and pass full length over the shaft with the 1500 grit up to where the ferrule starts and down to where the shaft collar begins- going over the wood only.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use denatured alcohol to get Sharpe off in my shop. Takes it right off, not sure about on wood, guess it would depend on how much sealer on the shaft. If the sealer on shaft came off with it, no big deal, easy to reseal.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a dry erase board, if someone uses a sharpie, they say to go over the spot with the dry erase marker and then wipe it off.
I've done this on polyester guitar finishes and it works great.