2021 World Snooker Championship

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Qualifiers start today and looks like you can watch for free on matchroom.live.

The most talked about match up for today is obviously Jimmy White v Stephen Hendry. I believe they play around 2 or 230pm EST.

Top 5 current favorites to win the event are

Trump
Ronnie
Niel
Higgins
Selby

The actual event begins on April 17th

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The White/Hendry match starts in one hour on Matchroom.live (11:30 Pacific, 14:30 Eastern)

Hendry was dominant after the Steve Davis era and brought an attacking style to the game. He had little interest in long safety battles. He has been retired from the professional tour for ten years but has been active in exhibitions and commentary. He has played in one event since his return and had one century in a first-round match which he lost.

Jimmy White was the "people's favorite" when he was at his peak for his amazing shots and his speed of play which earned him the nickname "Whirlwind." He is like the Buffalo Bills football team in a way. How do you spell "Bills"? With four Ls. (Losses in the Superbowl.) Jimmy got to the World Championship finals six times. Jimmy has continued to play on the pro tour and is currently ranked 83rd (of 128).

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just looked at the format. It is seeded in four levels:

Qualifier rounds:
First round of play -- 64 D players, which includes some amateurs -- single elimination gives 32 winners
Second -- add 32 C players from the lower end of the ranking list --> 32 advance
Third round -- add 32 B players, #17-48 on the ranking list --> 32 advance
Fourth round -- (nobody added) current 32 players in single elimination --> 16 advance to the main tournament

Main tournament (32 players):
Fifth and later rounds -- 16 qualifiers are joined by the top 16-ranked A players for a 32-player single-elimination tournament

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It tells me I have to subscribe to a package. Is there a way to watch free?
matchroom.live used to be free but it is US$2/month for me now. I think someone said recently they watched for free, so it may depend on which country you are in. At that price, I suspect it is just to make broadcasters in other parts of the world happy that people don't get to watch for free.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
matchroom.live used to be free but it is US$2/month for me now. I think someone said recently they watched for free, so it may depend on which country you are in. At that price, I suspect it is just to make broadcasters in other parts of the world happy that people don't get to watch for free.
That Championship League Pool event that just ended was free (table 2) on Matchroom.live, and the matches are still there and viewable for free. The snooker is asking for a subscription. I have a DAZN subscription and it's not appearing there. Maybe later rounds?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm able to watch both tables currently for free. When I click on My Account, it tells me I have no Active Subscriptions. If I click on Recent Transactions, the last time I was charged was Aug-Sep 2020.

Maybe I'm just lucky? 🤷‍♂️

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know the best a player has done in the actual World Championship if they had to come through the qualifier?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm able to watch both tables currently for free. When I click on My Account, it tells me I have no Active Subscriptions. If I click on Recent Transactions, the last time I was charged was Aug-Sep 2020.

Maybe I'm just lucky? 🤷‍♂️
I'll let Emily know. :giggle: :poop:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• 166990379_284107603081598_7666744135989580513_n.jpg
    166990379_284107603081598_7666744135989580513_n.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 105

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Defending champion, the Rocket.

Attachments

• 132612650_228647941960898_7342311447146813669_n.jpg
    132612650_228647941960898_7342311447146813669_n.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 107

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The White/Hendry match starts in one hour on Matchroom.live (11:30 Pacific, 14:30 Eastern)

Hendry was dominant after the Steve Davis era and brought an attacking style to the game. He had little interest in long safety battles. He has been retired from the professional tour for ten years but has been active in exhibitions and commentary. He has played in one event since his return and had one century in a first-round match which he lost.

Jimmy White was the "people's favorite" when he was at his peak for his amazing shots and his speed of play which earned him the nickname "Whirlwind." He is like the Buffalo Bills football team in a way. How do you spell "Bills"? With four Ls. (Losses in the Superbowl.) Jimmy got to the World Championship finals six times. Jimmy has continued to play on the pro tour and is currently ranked 83rd (of 128).

my friend texted me "you watching the geezer grind?" lol

by then i was already asleep. i managed two frames. it was not vintage hendry, nor vintage white. really poor play. i hope hendry picks up speed, he's gonna need it

Geosnookery

Hendry’s tactics were brilliant. Some strategy I haven’t seen in a decade. His cueball control as good as ever once he got past the second frame.

However, a C plus for actual aiming.

Jimmy? He just didn’t look well. Not physically or performance. Not animated. No impish Jimmy grin and no bounce in his step. He wasn’t having fun.

Hendry will defeat young Si Xu in the second round on tactical skills. Then likely lose third round.

Geosnookery

Hendry’s tactics were brilliant. Some strategy I haven’t seen in a decade. His cueball control as good as ever once he got past the second frame.

However, a C plus for actual aiming.

Jimmy? He just didn’t look well. Not physically or performance. Not animated. No impish Jimmy grin and no bounce in his step. He wasn’t having fun.

Hendry will defeat young Si Xu in the second round on tactical skills. Then likely lose third round.
Feel free to throw tomatoes. I just put on my coveralls.

Congrats to the young Chinese player. Si Xu may go down as defeating the 7 time world champion in his last match in a ranking tournament.

Hard see Hendry returning next season unless he’s given some financial incentive. However, the mystique is now gone.

Last edited: