Latest Florian Video - No Rail cloth

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was pretty cool. The balls aren’t sliding off the cushions.

The takeaway from this video is “why bank pool is so difficult” the friction of the cloth on the cushions has a massive effect on the angle which the ball comes off the rail. Amd adjusting for that as top bank players do is a art in and of itself.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I skimmed parts of the video very quickly, did not watch the money shots, as it were, yet....
However, if there is advantage to this, It is certainly now possible to make "bare" rails with durability that might not have been possible in gum/natural rubber without cloth as long term protection.

Polyurethane.

I cast polyurethane sets for planer rolls, for myself and a couple others, over 20 years ago.
Not exactly mar-free - these are working machines in pro shops.
But the durability is there and for pool balls which would apply very little abrasion, the rails would probably last as long as the glue held up to the structural/subrail. Un-filled/near pure poly never seems to age harden, either.

smt

Reactions: Pin

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Amazing stuff by the maestro, and Florian really shows off his very entertaining style as a trick shot artist.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will this table play this goofy with cloth on it? It’s unbelievable how much the balls back-up. My guess is that cloth will fix that but I’d be worried that it will bank like a goofy Red Label. Fun video to watch

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will this table play this goofy with cloth on it? It’s unbelievable how much the balls back-up. My guess is that cloth will fix that but I’d be worried that it will bank like a goofy Red Label. Fun video to watch
It’s a regular table just no cloth on the cushions.

I’ve experienced this myself, but nowhere to this degree. 10 or so years ago I had made a “practice shelf” out of a board and 2 rails that a mechanic on here sold me. The 2 rails gave me one corner pocket. They didn’t have cloth on them. I did have cloth on the bed, which was a piece of particleboard. When the balls hit the rails, they reacted the strangest I’ve ever seen. The friction was tremendous. I didn’t see anything as extreme as this video, but that’s most likely due to my very limited setup. Based on my experience, and now watching Florian’s video, I’d say every table without cushion cloth would play like the video.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At the rec center (about 50 years ago) someone had managed to tear off the cloth on the long rail for about 8 inches by a foot pocket. With ball in hand behind the line, you could shoot onto the bare spot where the rubber was exposed and bring the cue ball straight across the foot rail. If you overdid it, the cue ball would hit the other long rail second and spin up the table from the reversed english.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Cool. Surprising how much the sidespin grabs without cloth on the rail. We only use a small fraction of the potential effect.

pj
chgo

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t seen something so original in years. It reminds me of when I was a boy I was fascinated how I could bounce one of those little rubber balls off the floor into the wall and then it would bounce back and forth like a boomerang on the floor

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The exaggerated spin action is a magnified version of what happens on a smaller scale with cloth. Kinda edumacashunal.

pj
chgo