Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have
Lucasi Cocobolo
Troy Downey Amboyna burl absolutely a great looking cue
Schmelke Bacote
I think the Schmelke plays the best out of my modest group.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I switch between my JMW and my Shelby. Both great cues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsmith_1972

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now I have four cues with me I play with. There are others but due to traveling so much I am limited.
2 searings and two rick howards.
The searings are simple:
Early jump/break that plays jam up and my go to cue
The other is a conversion by him.
The Howards are a merry widow and a 4 ptr. Great playing cues, as all of rick's cues.

Vt
Richard

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have way too many cues and it is hard to decide if any one of them is actually the “best”.

I know which ones cost the most and I know which ones have “bigger” names, but it is hard to pick a “best” when it actually comes to playing with one.

I would rate my old McDermott C-14 at the top of any cues that I have thousands of playing hours with. I had it totally refinished by McDermott a few years back and I haven’t used it much since…too pretty to get dirty.

I have spent much less time with the others, even my A. E. Schmidt Titlist conversion that was done for me by Lloyd Bennett in 1973.

As far as carbon fiber, I have hit with quite a few and owned a Meucci Pro Carbon fiber shaft, which I sold. I have a Becue carbon fiber butt and three Becue shafts that I think plays as good as any wood or carbon product made.

The cue that I have put the most time in with, over the last couple of years, is my Jackpot. It does everything you could ask for in a cue. It hits super solid and it is perfectly balanced. What makes it better is that I have two Jackpots…one 58” and one 60” and I have seven interchangeable shafts…some 29” and some 30”…lots of combinations to experiment with. I have been playing with the 29” butt with a 30” shaft and it is a perfect combination of balance and “feel”.

I think I am going to try to play some tomorrow. I haven’t played in a couple of months. I usually carry two cues with me to the pool hall…the Jackpot and the Becue.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My beater stick. It was a proto and kept it . Paper micarta cored with bloodwood .
29.5" Kielwood shaft with paper micarta ferrule and paper micarta backer . Smooth beat-up leather wrap.

Attachments

• DSC03778.JPG
    DSC03778.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC03779.JPG
    DSC03779.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 111

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the cues that are currently in my bag.

Becue carbon fiber

Jackpot

A. E. Schmidt Titlist full-splice conversion (I had this one made in May 1973).

04496CAA-6638-4268-B393-4939D1C4199E.jpeg

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my playing cues, maybe it is my favorite, is the one I like the least based on its looks.
I screwed up the design; the cue maker bears no responsibility whatsoever for the outcome.

However, IMO, it lays better than my Tim Scruggs or Ed Prewitt cues which says a mouthful.
It’s the first cue Bob Owen made me but the second one is so darn close it could really be a tie.

And since the 2nd cue Bob made is actually so close, I usually prefer playing with that cue because
it’s so handsome in contrast with the 1st cue I’ve come to call “Ugly Duckling”…. but it is my duck.

My Jerry R. cues are A+ too. The last cue he made me is just a spectacular clone of a TS design. He
was the old school design expert and his butterfly cue designs are truly among the best ever made.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my playing cues, maybe it is my favorite, is the one I like the least based on its looks.
I screwed up the design; the cue maker bears no responsibility whatsoever for the outcome.

However, IMO, it lays better than my Tim Scruggs or Ed Prewitt cues which says a mouthful.
It’s the first cue Bob Owen made me but the second one is so darn close it could really be a tie.

And since the 2nd cue Bob made is actually so close, I usually prefer playing with that cue because
it’s so handsome in contrast with the 1st cue I’ve come to call “Ugly Duckling”…. but it is my duck.

My Jerry R. cues are A+ too. The last cue he made me is just a spectacular clone of a TS design. He
was the old school design expert and his butterfly cue designs are truly among the best ever made.
You should post pics of the "Ugly Ducking"

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mostly play with my Tascarella which is straight maple and B. Rosewood, light veneers very traditional. It is one of the thinnest and light cues Pete has made.

I also play with my Birch and Tulipwood Treadway, my Diviney sneaky Pete, my Alan Phelps cue and my custom Dan Janes.

But 90% of the time it is either the Tasc or the Diviney (for the seedier bars)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know about all these switch hitters around here…..😂

I play with a Boar, it’s a monster. Too fancy. I thought about painting it black and going undercover. The only reason I didn’t is I haven’t been playing much.

I’m lucky enough to own a good bit of amazing playing cues. Some fancy, some not fancy. I have a few monsters that play terrible too.

best
Fatboy

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I play with a Boar, it’s a monster. Too fancy. I thought about painting it black and going undercover. The only reason I didn’t is I haven’t been playing much.

I’m lucky enough to own a good bit of amazing playing cues. Some fancy, some not fancy. I have a few monsters that play terrible too.

best
Fatboy
One day you may hit the Jackpot and give up all those fancy schmancy cues. :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should post pics of the "Ugly Ducking"
It had the potential to be really handsome…..I used too dark of a stain on a terrific Birdseye forearm,
stacked the veneers incorrectly which really needed a white or Holly wood veneer because it has six
points. The veneers just mash together with six points and it creates an optical illusion that sometimes
looks like a pink veneer. But the darn cue shoots lights out & there’s a lot of work in the design so it’s a
keeper. As I wrote, Bob made the cue exactly as I specified but it didn’t turn out as I envisioned it’d be.

Here’s the design of my Ugly Duckling cue. Bob is the nicest person imaginable to make you a pool cue.
But I learned a lot and so when Bob made my next cue, it just flat turned out better than I hoped it would.
I also learned Bob is gracious, patient & talented cue maker whereas he learned I’m pretty fussy about cues.

Attachments

• B5851180-1CF1-45FD-8D6F-E44D8840259E.jpeg
    B5851180-1CF1-45FD-8D6F-E44D8840259E.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently have a Schon, Lew Stone, and Viking. I play with the Schon. The Lew Stone is custom but not high quality custom.

I'm excited I'm getting my first custom in a PFD soon and maybe having a Tonkin made as well.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member

best
Fatboy
For me, I can't stand the idea of having a great cue and not playing with it. It helps that I tend to adjust to the cue pretty quickly (or, more likely, I'm not good enough that it matters...lol).

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, I can't stand the idea of having a great cue and not playing with it. It helps that I tend to adjust to the cue pretty quickly (or, more likely, I'm not good enough that it matters...lol).
I understand that feeling

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It had the potential to be really handsome…..I used too dark of a stain on a terrific Birdseye forearm,
stacked the veneers incorrectly which really needed a white or Holly wood veneer because it has six
points. The veneers just mash together with six points and it creates an optical illusion that sometimes
looks like a pink veneer. But the darn cue shoots lights out & there’s a lot of work in the design so it’s a
keeper. As I wrote, Bob made the cue exactly as I specified but it didn’t turn out as I envisioned it’d be.

Here’s the design of my Ugly Duckling cue. Bob is the nicest person imaginable to make you a pool cue.
But I learned a lot and so when Bob made my next cue, it just flat turned out better than I hoped it would.
I also learned Bob is gracious, patient & talented cue maker whereas he learned I’m pretty fussy about cues.
Yeah on paper it looks like it would be a great looking cue

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I do play with it, I keep it in my hands usually, never lay it flat where I’d see it when picking it up
and pretty much avoid looking at it until I return it to my cue case. Since I take a couple of cues out to
use, when the Quacker is one of them, I always use it first and when I switch cues, I return it to my case.
If need be, I’ll take out a different cue. The point is I seldom look at it but it sure plays like a Stradivarius.