Deno J. Andrews or someone else?

belvederebill1

Registered
My friend purchased a Rambow cue and wants to get it authenticated. I heard Deno J. Andrews was the authority on them but I want a second opinion. Is he the guy to ask? Also I have no idea how to reach him. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4042.JPG
    IMG_4042.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4046.JPG
    IMG_4046.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 131

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Paul Rubino is probably the smartest guy in the cue industry, and he knows Rambows very well

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck reaching Deno. He dropped off the radar years ago. His website did have some great cues and info. Not sure if it is active either. As I recall it was Monstercues.com or something similar to that..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck reaching Deno. He dropped off the radar years ago. His website did have some great cues and info. Not sure if it is active either. As I recall it was Monstercues.com or something similar to that..
He kinda disappeared after the IPT went tits-up.

belvederebill1

Registered
Well he's the local go to guy... I'm near Chicago so it works for me! Thanks guys! Any idea how to reach Paul Rubino in case Deno is a bust?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Deno still writes a column for Billiards Digest which is called Monster Cues.

His website was 3cushion.com but it seems to have gone away in 2019. The old contents are still visible on archive.org.

A google search on "Deno Andrews Chicago" gets lots of hits.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deno is a smart guy. He was around after IPT, I can only say good things about him. He’s super knowledgeable

Best
Fatboy

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope no one got the wrong idea about Deno from my post. Years ago I spoke with him about getting a carom cue from Mike Lambros. Deno said Mike was going to build a very limited number of carom cues and said he would get me one. Never did come about.. Then there was a big carom tournament at Chris's and myself and several others there called and asked him to attend.. He did not show up and that was my last contact with him. Hope he is well and happy I have no issues with him at all.. As far as I know Mike never made the carom cues but he may have.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was t around pool during the IPT days. Zero. I met Dino after, here on AZB. Got to know him pretty good. So he clearly was around after IPT. Then I took 7 years off AZB. Haven’t spoke to him in a long time.

Point is that’s how pool works. People can leave for years, decades and jump back into pool like they never missed a day-once your established in pool. Jay Helfert is a perfect example as well.

That’s one great thing about pool-it’s always there. Take a break and come back like you didn’t miss a day. The only thing you might have missed is a product launch by Predator 😂😂

Best
Fatboy

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The butt looks Rambow. However, the shaft ferrules look replaced. Rambow did shorter ferrules.

All the best,
WW

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lordy.

IMO, Deno Andrewd is the go to guy for me for Rambow cues.

Pretty sure I can get in touch with Deno pretty easily. He’s on Facebook daily.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can also find Deno on LinkedIn. He was always kind to me and mine. Always!

Here's an old copy-and-paste about Deno in 2016:

Oak Park sold iconic pool tables and other pool antiquities. Here's the article:

...Deno Andrews first learned to sink shots inside a smoky pool hall in Oak Park. As a teenager during the 1980s, the scenes he took in at Oak Park Billiards were reminiscent of sets from Paul Newman movies: exposed brick walls, stone floors, chrome spectator chairs and enough smoke to make the ceiling disappear.

“It was always very dark with just enough light to light the tables,” Andrews recalls. “It was a very deep building so you felt like you were walking into a tunnel of billiards tables.”

When Oak Park Billiards suddenly closed 10 years ago, the 32 vintage Brunswick pool tables Andrews remembers so fondly remained in the 8,500 square-foot building.

It then sat vacant for a decade before going up for sale earlier this year. Andrews tried to put in a bid for the space–he wanted to maintain the facility as a pool hall–but wasn’t able to afford the asking price of $575,000. Instead, the Unity Temple Unitarian Universalist Congregation, which operates out of a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed church in the neighborhood, purchased the building in August in an effort to expand their services.

Among the hundreds of dusty items left over from the pool hall’s heyday are cues, balls, racks, light fixtures, vintage furniture, statues, arts, books, DVDs, signs and posters.

For Andrews, who collects antique billiard artifacts, the vintage Brunswick pool tables are the highlight of the sale. The tables date back to the 1920s, when Brunswick was the leading brand for such equipment. Weighing in at 2,800 pounds, the massive and highly ornate tables range in price depending on their quality: $500 for those with smoke or water damage; $2,500 for those that need less restoration.

The sale has already attracted Oak Park residents interested in owning a piece of local history, as well as regional collectors, or “table flippers” as Andrews calls them, looking to restore them. Most of the tables, when refurbished, can sell for $15,000, according to Andrews.

“They are gorgeous and they have these great facades, but the way they come apart and how they were constructed is just so genius,” said Andrews. “It takes less than an hour to take it apart. The simplicity is incredible.”

Andrews looks back fondly on the days when he would bring in a permission slip from his parents that allowed him to play pool at Oak Park Billiards as a teenager. He remembers the business as being family friendly but also as a place where pros would bet thousands of dollars on games.

“It was very peaceful and respectful and everyone knew one another,” said Andrews. “Walking by those tables now feels like walking back in time.”

The sale took place Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016. from 8 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Oak Park Billiards, 1019 South Boulevard in Oak Park.

Photo of Deno Andrews and Keith McCready taken at the King of the Hill Tournament in Orlando, FL, December 2005. Gosh, it seems like just yesterday.

Deno Andrews and Keith McCready.JPG

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Photo of Deno Andrews and Keith McCready taken at the King of the Hill Tournament in Orlando, FL, December 2005. Gosh, it seems like just yesterday.

View attachment 613821
What a classy, admiration gesture -- thumb's up -- on Keith's part, indicating; "He's the Man . . . I like this guy."

Arnaldo

• Love
Reactions: JAM

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had to choose between the guy who has Rambow’s tools and equipment, co-authored The Billiard Encyclopedia and first 2 Blue Books, or a guy who thought an import Greenleaf cue was Ralph Greenleaf’s personal playing cue, who would you choose?

belvederebill1

Registered
If you had to choose between the guy who has Rambow’s tools and equipment, co-authored The Billiard Encyclopedia and first 2 Blue Books, or a guy who thought an import Greenleaf cue was Ralph Greenleaf’s personal playing cue, who would you choose?
Please clarify. I don't know either person you're referring to.