Who makes the best wooden shafts?

Flakeandrun

NO! I have more Than 5 Drinks .. Bourbon if your are interest!!

Simple put ... Dieckman cue shaft was done from an outsider compare on cue shaft.... Who else done a compare??? Shut your mouth!!
The 5 drinks have made this "Dieckman cue shaft was done from an outsider compare on cue shaft.... Who else done a compare???" not read so simply buddy :unsure: Enjoy a couple glasses more of the good stuff for me, then get yourself off to bed. Seems you'll be hugging the bowl in the morning:ROFLMAO:

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 5 FFdrinks have made this "Dieckman cue shaft was done from an outsider compare on cue shaft.... Who else done a compare???" not read so simply buddy :unsure: Enjoy a couple glasses more of the good stuff for me, then get yourself off to bed. Seems you'll be hugging the bowl in the morning:ROFLMAO:
Not really >> I okay for 10 drinks! Flankeandrun.... What do you think ... the best cue shaft is???? I've answer Dieckman... Now show me wrong.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok ! I make it simple .... Have anyone else done a compare test like Wayne
Okay .. If no one else done a test like Wayne Schmidt,, ... Why should I listed ?? sometime I just use what on the rack

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

Not really >> I okay for 10 drinks! Flankeandrun.... What do you think ... the best cue shaft is???? I've answer Dieckman... Now show me wrong.
I've yet the pleasure of experiencing a Dieckman, but have had the chance to try lots of things. I'd say the ILC monster that I have is the cream of the crop so far. I'll post up some pics at some point. The Musashi I have is also right up there.

I also see what you are saying now with regard to comparison (still not sure about all the Russian stuff). So, the Dieckman has faired well in comparison tests! Got it! All I know is what has worked for me, and rated subjectively based on what I think looks good, and plays good in my hands :)

One day, hope I'll be lucky enough to give a Dieckman a try.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it just like the Cabbage Patch Doll! But Bourbon taste better... But really I just show Dieckman shaft were tested from an outside source. Were Any other cue shaft??

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That gets into the criteria for cuemakers to be worth their salt. Some are going to put a lot of effort into making excellent shafts, and others are going to be more concerned with the artistry of their cues' butts.

Here's my impression on the matter. When cues are displayed at shows, it's often just the butt. When somebody buys one of those cues from the rack, the most common process is probably for the seller to take the shaft(s) from the case, process the purchase, and hand the cue to the buyer. Done. How many buyers ask any questions about the shaft or inspect it (the wood itself, not the joint ring or the exotic ferrule)? So it seems that the butt's visual appeal would take priority for all concerned.

I'm sure some cuemakers put a lot of effort into the quality of their shafts, but generally I wouldn't take shaft quality as a foregone conclusion.

This is correct. But then we are talking about cues as art not as performance instruments. For example a musician in an orchestra would not select his instrument mainly by looks. Nor would say a rock guitarist. You see a lot of them using beat up 40+ yr old instruments that look like crap.

In my view, a real custom cue must have as much quality put into the shaft as in the butt or it's just done for art and prestige. And if you take that shaft away, you pretty much take away the soul and function of the cue and are left with just the art part. Of course we are talking about some minimum quality of construction here, not about some crap build that falls apart, buzzes or warps, but there are a hundred cue makers more than good enough to manage to put together a lasting cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The days of selecting perfect northern maple and aging/turning it for years are all but over. Wood shafts from here out will mostly be laminated in some way. Carbon-fiber is a much more predictable/stable/repeatable material. Plus you can easily make it any size/taper/stiffness. When i saw the pic of the pro snooker player using CF i knew wood's days were numbered. People always said they'd never switch. Well, they have.

Flakeandrun

The days of selecting perfect northern maple and aging/turning it for years are all but over. Wood shafts from here out will mostly be laminated in some way. Carbon-fiber is a much more predictable/stable/repeatable material. Plus you can easily make it any size/taper/stiffness. When i saw the pic of the pro snooker player using CF i knew wood's days were numbered. People always said they'd never switch. Well, they have.
Anthony McGill and Ahmed Aly Al'sayed are not going to change anyone in the snooker worlds mind to carbon shafts lol I think the rest of what you are saying is pretty reasonable. Price of handmade wood shafts is going to go up. Production line carbon will come down.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From an earlier post from dgg45:

Pechauer grows their own trees, processes the lumber in their own mill, built a machine shop and makes all their own joints, screws, etc. What custom cue maker can top that?
I don't know about "best", as I think that takes many years to establish, but I have tried several cf shafts, and yet still play my pechauer wood shafts. I'm old school. I prefer the look, hit, and feel of wood shafts. Just a personal choice...although the low deflection laminates are nice too.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
From an earlier post from dgg45:

Pechauer grows their own trees, processes the lumber in their own mill, built a machine shop and makes all their own joints, screws, etc. What custom cue maker can top that?
I don't know about "best", as I think that takes many years to establish, but I have tried several cf shafts, and yet still play my pechauer wood shafts. I'm old school. I prefer the look, hit, and feel of wood shafts. Just a personal choice...although the low deflection laminates are nice too.
I've tried several CF shafts since I returned to playing actively and like the hit, but a custom LD maple is still my go to. I like the hit, feel and additional feedback from maple I don't quite get from CF.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Here’s a funny shaft story. Years ago when the Black Boar no ferrule shafts were the craze a friend of mine wanted one so bad he couldn’t stand it. We were at the DCC and he calls me and says I’ve found a BB come take a look at it before I buy it, I said how much and he says $10K 😮‍💨 I meet up with him and he could care less about the actual cue but at the time there were no shafts available elsewhere. I said let’s think this over before you peel off 10 skins for two shafts. As soon as we walked away I took him to Mike Capones booth and ask Mike if he could make him a couple ferruleless shafts to match his cue, a Gina at the time. Mike said absolutely and for around $400 (if I remember correctly) he got exactly what he was looking for…and I didn’t even get a damn free dinner on that $9600 savings 😭😂

On a side note, when I was at Dennis’ shop years ago I had a SW shaft with me that I had him clean up and according to him they were producing the best shafts and he specifically mentioned their taper. He ask what I played with and I said a RH and he had nothing but good things to say about his as well. Unlike the amount of work that goes into a butt, the criteria for a shaft is very basic. Wood quality and taper and don’t rush the turning process. I’m sure it’s been said but Joey Gold should def get an honorable mention.