Using More Centerball

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m surprised at the amount of players who either use center or extreme, miscue edge, english.
I mean if you tell them to use left it’s extreme left, same with right, high and low. There’s either center or edge, nothing in between, no half/full tip off center just “center or edge” … COE 🙂

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Copious english by good players is normal. It's consistent. I just invented the term "blended ball" for this post. It's like the premium version of TOI. lol...
High this and that, low this and that is consistent and easy to remember and keep track of.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Staying on vertical axis is akin to playing by shooting only to the corner pockets and never the sides........If you only shoot to only the corners you are limiting your potential..........You can "plan" and play to the corner pockets...but if necessary.....you must be able to shoot them in the side

Same goes for the Juice.......It is not a forbidden drink......Everything in moderation.....plan and play for vertical axis or at least close to vertical axis......but when you need taste the sweet nectar of the juice every now and again......suck it down and enjoy..........otherwise....when it is necessary....you won't be able to handle it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell no! There is no pro alive that plays a high percentage of their shots either dead center as the OP later clarified, or, on the vertical axis only, as most interpreted the question.

Last edited:

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some CB rotation is produced by all but the centermost tip position.

pj
chgo
As a practical question, I would define center ball as anything that doesn't produce any visible side spin. It would take some specific and exhaustive testing and/or some complicated math to figure out what exactly that width is, but I'd bet a lot it's more than an infinitesimally small width given that as a C+ player I can accomplish a "center ball" hit multiple times per rack.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
What exactly is the definition of center vertical axis and how wide is it????

I would venture a guess that 80+% of us can't hit exactly what center axis is.....or at least not nearly as often as we think we do.....
Those that focus on CB last do more than those of us that don't. 🤷‍♂️

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
…the exact spot to hit the CB for instant non-sliding roll is 40% (2/5) of maximum follow (viewed from the slightly elevated perspective of a “level” cue).
Surely this would depend on speed the ball is hit
Just like side spin, the spin/speed ratio is determined only by the tip/ball contact point (distance from center ball).

and distance between balls?
With instantaneous “natural roll”, the CB rolls naturally all the way, even as it slows down.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What exactly is the definition of center vertical axis and how wide is it????

I would venture a guess that 80+% of us can't hit exactly what center axis is.....or at least not nearly as often as we think we do.....
here is a pic from mark wilson's book on cue ball hit accuracy for various skill levels
mark wilson cue ball accuracy pic 2.jpg

dquarasr

Registered
I used to wonder why some really good players use side spin on shots where the CB doesn’t touch a cushion.

But I have since found uses for side spin, throwing a ball in so I can hit the OB much thicker to limit CB travel after contacting the OB, or if an OB is partially blocked and I can’t hit it at the true ghost ball location.