Ultimate Pool Louisiana Open

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing Darren Appleton win, whatever it was he won, was pretty sweet. It was a 9:1 on the odds chart in Britain. Wish I had a sawbuck or two on him. Superman and Darren in the finals. It doesn't get any better than that!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m confused. There was a shootout tournament and now an open tournament? Appleton won the shootout and play for the open is ongoing?

Great to see Darren back on his feet regardless.
Same here. I'm confused too. I thought Darren won the finals between Superman (Roberto Gomez) and himself.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched some of it but bar box 8ball is a tough watch especially with A- players. But the production was good and I hope it continues.

yes, nice production!

hate to say it but maybe fargo capped this would have a brighter future in the US? the top boys are gonna forever torture the amateurs, so their willingness to keep donating might affect the longevity, and the likes of gomez and melling on these tables are obviously too good. it's a coin toss between them two

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really understand the rules. I did like the shot clock and match clock as a spectator, not sure I will like it when I fully understand the rules.
The rules are "International Pool Rules" - nowadays used in English pool and destined to eliminate clumsier rulesets from the pro game.

The main differences from WPA rules are:

-It's not call shot
-You "nominate" your group when the table is open (you can't, for example, hit a solid first to pot a strike with a combo)
-If the cue ball is frozen to an object ball you can play away from it (this rule is flawed because if the cue ball is frozen to a solid and you are stripes then you are deemed to have already hit the solid but can still legally hit a stripe)
-The re-rack rules after the eight on the break are slightly different to WPA rules but the differences are trivial.

For "turbo" tournaments with a match clock and 30s/15s shot clock, there is an additional non-standard "golden break" rule (automatic win) and "golden duck (automatic loss).

As someone who favors call shot for 8 ball, I actually agree with allowing slop in the turbo format along with the golden break/duck and it's proved to be an excellent format in English pool. The "nominate" your group rule seems unneccessary and a bit pedantic. The frozen ball rule is plain daft. Having said that, Ultimate Pool is a great product all in all.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Down to last 32
Appleton -Deuel will be good one

last32.PNG

Greg M

The frozen ball rule is plain daft.
I never understood why this carried over to international rules. If they're trying to Americanise English pool with the ruleset, why does the touching ball rule exist when it never did in any other American pool ruleset? Really weird.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never understood why this carried over to international rules. If they're trying to Americanise English pool with the ruleset, why does the touching ball rule exist when it never did in any other American pool ruleset? Really weird.
The rules are not official in the sense that the WPA approves of them. "Official International Rules" in this case means the private rules of the promoter.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I had less interest in the Open than the Shootout. I want to see that 15 second shot clock come into play in more matches or else it ends up like any other bar box 8-ball event. The 30 second shot clock is nice and all but the 15 second one is what really excited me. Especially when they could game the match clock a little too.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rules are not official in the sense that the WPA approves of them. "Official International Rules" in this case means the private rules of the promoter.
The WEPF has adopted "International Rules" as a replacement for "World Rules". If International Rules had been around much earlier, I'm sure the WPA would have sanctioned them (rather than Blackball) as their choice for the official rules of the yellow and red small ball game. They are the closest ruleset to "American" 8 Ball and Heyball, and I think they are missing a trick by not changing the silly rules like "touching ball". Ultimate Pool on 7ft tables is maybe just what 8 Ball needs to get 9 Ball pros playing it.

Here's hoping they see sense at some point and do what they say they are doing and actually align the rules.

Badpenguin

Unfortunately, the TV table was the only table with a time clock, which is the only thing that made it fun to watch. Otherwise, it is APA with even looser/weirder rules. Great streaming production and decent commentary. But why would I want to play in a league that is basically APA-lite?

No online brackets, which is idiotic.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, the TV table was the only table with a time clock, which is the only thing that made it fun to watch. Otherwise, it is APA with even looser/weirder rules. Great streaming production and decent commentary. But why would I want to play in a league that is basically APA-lite?

No online brackets, which is idiotic.
There were online brackets but they were very hard to find. Ultimate Pool has been sh1te at this from day one, almost like it's their little secret.

Some of the rules are indeed odd. They have an opportunity to fix them.

Let's hope for a good outcome on both fronts.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where? I never saw any.
Exactly my point. They were available but through a convoluted route. To be fair though, Heyball is just as bad at its best and Matchroom was pretty poor in the early days of its latest pool incarnation. None of this is rocket science but the reality is that pool is only on the way to being run by people who understand the world around them. But at least it's on the way.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grown men playing on barbox tables with huge pockets is weird

i have trouble imagining many top pros travelling to what's basically a coin flip for them. i didn't watch that much but i saw billy and chris never miss a ball, it's simply too easy for them. but i like the speed aspect very much, also the post match interviews

Jack Fate

Been watching ultimate pool in UK for a few years now and generally enjoy it.

To American viewers I can see this as a bit confusing.

The UK versions are on smaller tables with different angle cut pockets. Cue ball is smaller than object balls.

8 on the break has several rule variations.( depending on factors of what day it is & other nonsense)

Probably said too much here but hope to see more of it .
( particularly to see Americans playing in UK with the small cue ball & funky cut pockets)

Ghost of OBC

I just happened upon some highlights on YouTube and am happy to see others have found this. I think it is great for the game and wish them success. Would love to see some more amateur or league spinoffs and maybe a similar 9 ball format.

I don't love bar box pool, but am growing to accept most pool played by regular people in the US is going to be on 7 footers. It is cool to see the pros play a familiar game.