Looking for brochure/catalog scan

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still looking.

Any pictures, brochures, catalogs, or historical documentation would be greatly appreciated! :smile::smile::smile:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Chopdoc, you've had me scouring my catalog and pamphlet collection for a few days now, hoping to find this. I even cut out ads during the past several decades and couldn't find a Cobra pamphlet or ad. I do have what I think is the original Lishan brochure, but doubt that's what you want, unless they were similar models. Anyhow, this is a tough one.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc, you've had me scouring my catalog and pamphlet collection for a few days now, hoping to find this. I even cut out ads during the past several decades and couldn't find a Cobra pamphlet or ad. I do have what I think is the original Lishan brochure, but doubt that's what you want, unless they were similar models. Anyhow, this is a tough one.

All the best,
WW

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Lishan brochure. They are related and hence interest me.

I don't know, but I suppose there may have been similar models. Somehow I doubt it though.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the effort and yes, I would like to see the Lishan brochure.

:thumbup:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Lishan brochure. They are related and hence interest me.

I don't know, but I suppose there may have been similar models. Somehow I doubt it though.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the effort and yes, I would like to see the Lishan brochure.

No problem, I'll scan and put it up when I get home tonight.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Asketh, and ye shall receiveth. It was a six-page brochure; I think something like late 80s or early 90s. Their line bore a striking resemblance to Adam, but a bit different. As you can see, the distributor at the time was Cue & Case, Jacksonville, Florida.

Not sure if these resembled the Cobra line or not. This should take two posts to get the whole brochure in.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Lishan 1.jpg
    Lishan 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Lishan 2.jpg
    Lishan 2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 942
  • Lishan 3.jpg
    Lishan 3.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 965
  • Lishan 4.jpg
    Lishan 4.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,006

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Last two pages of the Lishan brochure:

Attachments

• Lishan 5.jpg
    Lishan 5.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 842
  • Lishan 6.jpg
    Lishan 6.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 721

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you WildWing!

I just noticed your response.

None of these designs match the Cobra Professional cues that I have seen, but the weight bolt and bumper are identical. As we suspected they are of the same manufacture. Just different brands. The Mizerak Professional Series cues also use the identical weight bolt and bumper.

Cue & Case was actually the distributor for Cobra Professional as well. So they are related in manufacture as well as distribution.

Still looking for the Cobra Professional catalog or brochure. Even a magazine ad would be great.

Also, there must be at least one other Lishan catalog as I am aware of cues not in that catalog as well as another Lishan logo, a tiger.

The catalog also confirms the Kao-Kao manufacture, but I don't think anybody doubted that.

EDIT: Interesting to note at least some of their cues used a nylon insert like Huebler.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another try. Looking for scan of brochures or catalogs for cues with this logo, the "Cobra Professional".

picture.php

Any help is appreciated. :smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update.

I found the original catalog thanks to an AZB member. I purchased it. I will soon scan it and post it. I believe in sharing.

Obviously this would be of limited interest but for the few that might be curious about the original Cobra cues and Cobra Professional cues, I will make it available.

It was the connection between Harold Miller, former sales manager for Adam for something like 20 years that started Cobra, and his friend Steve Mizerak, that led me down the road to look for information on these cues. I have talked to family members and associates of those involved. Obviously the connection to Richard Helmstetter and Adam cues was a significant foundation for Miller in the business.

Although these were imports, the Professional versions were pretty good. I like the story behind them as it represents a real American success story to me. Harold Miller put himself out there, developed the relationships, and took out $40K on his American Express card to place the first order.

This is Harold Miller. He is no longer with us.

1526473073_harold-j.-miller.png

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Nice find.

Can't wait to see the brochure. I purchased a Scruggs brochure off the same seller.

Josh

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the Cobra Professional pages. These are reduced file sizes. I have high resolution scans.

I have the rest of the pages scanned as well, and the confidential wholesale prices. Sadly, the Cobra Professional prices seem to be the only thing missing.

This is from July 1, 1992. The Cobra trademark was registered May 19, 1992. So I think this is the first catalog released to dealers.

As I said, Harold Miller put $40K on his American Express to place his first order. Four friends each added a $5K loan to that. That order alone was a monster task as developing the relationship with Nelson Tsai, the factory owner, was no small piece of work. Tsai had been screwed over by a number of American business men already and was a very difficult man to gain trust with. When Miller attended his first billiard show after the launch of Cobra he got $205K in orders. Tsai was so impressed he floated Miller the $205K.

As one businessman in the billiard industry put it at the time: "He's got a lot of moxie."

zKPF9H_6WtdHimpcGvd8drO4-j2Rs8XzejR-qXl1Xl6n6-cXL4UUE-CMVa2IaEDC_cXEQH_vjvGiMLzZ55dn-F-1Uc0PtuLfx_BKWgO2SS0p1X5Qw8YuvIJg67ISovG74q-L-I7Xpet_e3h4YBxRdMNO0-csrpAvrY19PI87aQlGSpo5CItXhB8yd3ILEbo3kRXVlSHVnLl0oZtthHdchc2F3qUzGMqZFYWszQmFSIP3nx30g031dKl0IDl3C-lJsDDIhpIkS14xw1q7Elt9tX3_K4SbwGXjbgkbCo6deC4UJ3bSl_rCjuRkbw0U2Bz2PgOxrtLSvlgdl6uj01-RaVCTscGJ37kkHFt67qcr1jNGJ_mCq2Cp6n7LexmdXvvVzrg9n_oG5tVdLsz0HKeudZjn-21BbOMjV6zOfZOlW1cMNS1INRFvZP59AnuEEvfl3G12JAWw-u9tLBXKkYjjXYNRocCGRX_QjWM4TNW09_EIZ2OJHFAlacasgV8tvFzvVP-nWQhxXSo8AFJz4p75_k1NdrY2fioZqWti9d9G6fjg4-GSCkklD69vVzwqfr8Ht90GUFhkrvIFEly0nD5cfqJin9eSUhaIvWy7IxSNUfvWr6P4ZyqgBHeLPd4CtJiluhX1UMKOTzjaFydEC0CBjIiNglzVtoj8v4n1fC1lfB89n6vCThsMXtXq=w512-h662-no

U7JMjkIO46SQxthB0VwdHPt9iRbB-fNFj_XV-94e6oLkGykx2iJRqwbY8qQ6SR4nyK7nfcaSq-Dmud07m5TgsMXPgipFFcKcgwqlXkTGvKWXUbXgVTObHndtMGClz4qKHn6tJUyJxih-0pNfinLip5osXLRmhlIMxxPR9899lGExqjHjFZeeaPXG_y0LC6lvcvg9HtDGRF_ezR7FA39QP8xQJN75Qa5FC64o8FDTKZ1u8aqBDlZlQPiMsmMKSH3yFnrEKX2ie-8zpOVqLHSB4orJSfPOmXW1PZdLs0DLs2JRmjc85bRnuxZX5bdMfUuqNyyikH--W_N0Cym9-SL6QFhgJADUhCGAvuJ6ckYzFHEUiolaJniM80AjBfeBOfHE8QH72bQyCDMKBDQU7_knwFn9LTLigcvOnGmsRSVCXCSnfx_fQRhImlhRnqeHh7MwbLKQgqc5IA7TkynYm49jA3Wt-DBvHj2FgpbFIP4PzbsCl9LkooFE2Xtgi3DwZHBL9uabhVAgUmqA1H-N4q4YHgXVKTl8q1JbN-fc8OjTlT4SaOD4auv0WEs7qyuMwCM9InXYm5bHy3NUsfTtG91Cv-hecXG_KUz847VbuOs0Ylago2pZgJtMDLHLDTRVcSsjhCJPGymG-_4-4ahw2Ts0xEYfT-JP6e6TAH1Rq145zuD1tHtEs7bE3s5i=w512-h662-no

VwCanBO3kKGTptIZxM3_z9JrgLxotHk-E6X0fdOnCxR-FjB_JEYzLqEkVLNKG8hlgp5XDXOSL6LP_I_u5iCcqdcNiNyAf-Ja6Mfnk09E_l90mLmy5WqwsnqGPUvIU4e9WVbBfGONg06kpV7KF5Q1d9Io4QsOVpiLK2qTnaer7LEKFsMbtYz7i8YBfrd4k44UygnxU19w6bKMVzs1dU_yVbLJtR4HIAI6J6DyDOrkLA_ITDAdyWoVVqgqBGI47iLFs_xK89M5V_7N6LD5jFXuycGb6JC4XzwsDDyL3xkem_eL8hppW9S5nbEDhHUUk_zwZnmjTfntKnX19y6xKtP0F3ij1vtGsAGmIdowPXNw4JsVOu7sJV8KQEBuWo1DTwLyLkKVTHC8KGPiP_hIkSE_2KhPl-QiDrxadGMPQ_BbgHiTFB8PJrVSsT0mUYKDSZ0A0Qk-UD6Myf1zxSWlMda7IQZT0yKHpy_xMuAb9Rt_cUU1GXHORFQzBPAG8waGP1FNioDyK9juCGKaYs4dTbIKLovu73_evTw07iFj_im4Vn_VN8XCUrSHiHLTRCdwPPVXTPt_dfxgivNaJArIpc2UhU-u37JkGq7CX7nRsG3AgR3aV8-SXxqB6eL3vcUIe2udGIyi0Emlb10n-suafYTvjsigcsjeBUdcj3b_f-R7wLxOvAtyauBedV8p=w512-h662-no

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This brought back some memories, this was shortly after I started playing in 88 or so. In college I remember either owning a Cobra or having a pool buddy that owned one. I went though cues pretty quick back then so really don't remember if it was mine LOL

Also remember the Lishan cues but don't think I have played with one.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This brought back some memories, this was shortly after I started playing in 88 or so. In college I remember either owning a Cobra or having a pool buddy that owned one. I went though cues pretty quick back then so really don't remember if it was mine LOL

Also remember the Lishan cues but don't think I have played with one.

Definitely nostalgic. I had my Joss but I remember these. I seem to remember them before the trademark was registered. The documents indicate first use of the logo goes back to 87 or 88 I think, which seems about right. The professional line came out in 92 I think.

It was fun tracking down the info. Cool to have a couple of them.