I love Danny Diliberto but this commentary is brutal.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
mark me down for brutal as well

pay jeremy jones to do all commentary please

bill incardona as well

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Once upon a time, Danny's commentary was excellent, but that was at least ten years ago. At his best, he was the premier commentator for 14.1 and a very capable commentator of one pocket. His nine/ten ball commentary, to me, always showed an outdated comprehension of the game and showed a general lack of insight into the way it's played in this era. Nonetheless, he was always a pretty good storyteller and could be entertaining at times.

That he continued to commentate even as his commentary skills declined is nothing to be bothered about, for he has been a credit to our game for a long, long time, and his commentary gigs continue to afford those of us who attend events valuable opportunities to see him and catch up.

Danny's a treasure in our game for sure.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he is great. One time his partner in the booth asked him
About kaci’s neck tattoo. He said his father would never let him
Get a tattoo because he could be identified by the police, and then
The story turned to the time some guy was trying to rob a bank
But then some guy ahead of him in line robbed the bank before he could!

Now that’s a pool story!

Is he old? Yeah.

Did the patriots resign tom brady? No.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
He's hit or miss nowadays, for a while I couldn't stand it, the last few times I watched he was better.

I think the ball colors get him quite a bit, as they do a lot of people much younger.

I was in the "no more Danny" crowd for a while(even though I like his stories and him personally) he seems to be doing better now and who knows how long those stories will be with us, not many of those guys left.

Every time I scratch in the side, I hear Danny saying if you're gonna hit a ball towards the side pocket, don't hit it hard enough to scratch. Lol

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because of Danny, I know there's a host of potential competition out there for me that aren't practicing the most overrated shot in the game... ....the break.

Thanks Danny, I appreciate it

most *over* rated shot?

danny is getting on in years, but I'd rather listen to him rap than most of the rest
in fact, I've been enjoying him bounce off of mark wilson lately on accu-stats vids
and since commentary is so often performed in tandem, chemistry is crucial
to contrast, I have not been enjoying listening to mark wilson and double j together
tho I could listen to either one solo, just about any time

Cbrown1

Registered
Danny is a legend but no longer belongs in the booth. Without Mark Wilson helping him through it, gently correcting him to keep viewers on right track, Danny would implode on his own.

In the match I watched today Danny suggested a single elimination format where the losers get the electric chair. Novel idea but I don’t thing it will take.

I’m just going to go back to watching where every time a player misses Danny exclaims “he sold out!”. Catchy the first 300 times he says it, but after that it is as worn out as a five dollar hooker.

Mark Wilson and Jeremy Jones are the current gold standard in commentating. Any match they do is must see tv and the knowledge that they pour out is truly amazing.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny is a legend but no longer belongs in the booth. Without Mark Wilson helping him through it, gently correcting him to keep viewers on right track, Danny would implode on his own.

In the match I watched today Danny suggested a single elimination format where the losers get the electric chair. Novel idea but I don’t thing it will take.

I’m just going to go back to watching where every time a player misses Danny exclaims “he sold out!”. Catchy the first 300 times he says it, but after that it is as worn out as a five dollar hooker.

Mark Wilson and Jeremy Jones are the current gold standard in commentating. Any match they do is must see tv and the knowledge that they pour out is truly amazing.

you make a great point, mark does help him
but danny will hip mark, too
and they get along well, have good chemistry
mark is more technical and matter-of-fact
danny comes with the quips, the old knowledge and stories
individually, I might prefer mark or jj in the booth
but as it's usually a team effort in pool commentating
may "he sold out!" ever please these ears:grin:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

They are both very good, but I'd rate Billy Incardona as better than both of them.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are both very good, but I'd rate Billy Incardona as better than both of them.

Wholeheartedly agree. I wont even listen to non stop JJ anymore. Marc is pretty accurate but not fun like Billy.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I am concerned, Danny gets a pass, lifetime plus 25 years.
Whats brutal is the girl that commentates 1 pocket and plays it at a D level .
That's bru uh uh uh tal !

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always had fun doing commentary with Danny. As far as I'm concerned he's still a lot better than some of the people I hear on the streams.