Bobby Williams

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I think Bobby won the Rak'm Up Classic. A pro event with all the top players. He was one of the best lefties at the time.

I saw Bobby a few years ago at DCC. He may have been with Tony Stewart, the race car driver. Bobby has been working on Nascar pit crews for many years now. That's where you'll find him. Heaven forbid anyone comes around the Nascar scene bragging about playing pool. They'll go get Bobby and clean his clock. He was a very good gambler.

He finshed very high (maybe won it) in one of the early Sands Reno tournaments. Was out here with another guy from Florida name Brown who also played pretty good. I believe Keith finished third in this tournament, beating Sigel twice. Hawaiian Brian was staking Keith and kept him on the straight & narrow until the night before the finals. Keith got an advance on his prize $$ and played dice all night and got knocked out & Bobby was first or second. Keith looked like a cinch to win the tournament the way he was playing & I remember Brain was furious. John

Darth

Cyber Fox 4/8/96-7/1/09
Silver Member
Bobby Williams Has Risen From The Dead.....

jay helfert said:
I heard that same rumor too, but I'm about 95% sure he is still working the NASCAR races.
This was only a rumor. I know for a fact that Bobby Williams was alive and kicking long after the notice of his demise circulated among the pool world. His sister worked for a local Palm Beach auto dealership and I contacted her right after this crap got started. She confirmed that she had spoken to Bobby the day before I called her. By this time the rumor was already several months old. I know who started the rumor as a prank but as this person is deceased now so I'm going to let a sleeping dog lie. It's unbelievable what kind of mud gets stirred up during a thread.:boring2:

Spade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he was alive 2 years ago because he showed up and Derby City! i met him!
nice guy...works on race cars now i think?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Spade said:
he was alive 2 years ago because he showed up and Derby City! i met him!
nice guy...works on race cars now i think?

I'm not losing my mind. I saw him at DCC too. I was beginning to doubt myself. :eek:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
jrhendy said:
He finshed very high (maybe won it) in one of the early Sands Reno tournaments. Was out here with another guy from Florida name Brown who also played pretty good. I believe Keith finished third in this tournament, beating Sigel twice. Hawaiian Brian was staking Keith and kept him on the straight & narrow until the night before the finals. Keith got an advance on his prize $$ and played dice all night and got knocked out & Bobby was first or second. Keith looked like a cinch to win the tournament the way he was playing & I remember Brain was furious. John

I think his first name was JOHN. Wore unique, cool glasses when he played.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
TOMMY Brown! You got the glasses part right. :)

Tommy Brown was a great player and used to run with John DiToro. Tommy wore those unique glasses because he lost an eye to a rare form of cancer many years ago. Tommy is still in Daytona - at Brown's Billiards.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack,

Can you tell me what Tommy Brown looks like and about how old he is? I was just in Brown's Billiards yesterday doing a cue deal and just wondering if I saw him without knowing who he was. The only two guys working there at the time didn't wear glasses though.

Thanks,

Randy

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
TOMMY Brown! You got the glasses part right. :)

There were also two Charlie Browns playing around Fl and AL. Neither played AA speed or even solid A speed but they were also around and occasionally knocked off some good players in events. I think one wore glasses and the other one needed to. :p

Probably a bunch of "Browns" playing pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
frankncali said:
There were also two Charlie Browns playing around Fl and AL. Neither played AA speed or even solid A speed but they were also around and occasionally knocked off some good players in events. I think one wore glasses and the other one needed to. :p

Probably a bunch of "Browns" playing pool.

Yeah, but that Charlie Brown, he's a clown! :D

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Yeah, but that Charlie Brown, he's a clown! :D

And he is wondering why everyone is picking on him !!!!

Fe-Fi-Fo Fum !!

Great song :p Nothing like todays screaming

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby

Well, it's great news to hear that Bobby is still kicking. He is a really class act. There were several years between the time that I played with him in Louisiana and when I ran into him again in Charlotte. He walked right up to me and called me by my first name.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is amazing nobody can hide anymore because of the internet, unless they really try hard.

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Brown nice guy and very good player. Originally a straight pool player from New Jersey.

Attachments

• Tom Brown (Medium) (Small).jpg
    Tom Brown (Medium) (Small).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 612

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Tommy Brown was a great player and used to run with John DiToro. Tommy wore those unique glasses because he lost an eye to a rare form of cancer many years ago. Tommy is still in Daytona - at Brown's Billiards.

Maybe the greatest one-eyed player I ever seen

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
attachment.php

I found this picture from the cover of Billiards Digest where Bobby won the PBA Championship in Charlotte, NC.
I can't quite make out the date.

Attachments

• Bobby Williams.jpg
    Bobby Williams.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Tommy and Johnny both played out of the room I grew up in, Peg's Pocket in Miami. What a great room that was in the 80s. Guys use to walk in, literally screwing their cues together as they came in the door, asking for a 100 set action. It was not unusual to see every one of the gold crowns in action with the locals. There were literally dozens of players, young and old, world class to banger that were looking to match up.

ahh the good ol days.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
uwate said:
Tommy and Johnny both played out of the room I grew up in, Peg's Pocket in Miami. What a great room that was in the 80s. Guys use to walk in, literally screwing their cues together as they came in the door, asking for a 100 set action. It was not unusual to see every one of the gold crowns in action with the locals. There were literally dozens of players, young and old, world class to banger that were looking to match up.

ahh the good ol days.

Sounds just like where I learned to play.

"ahh the good ol days."

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
uwate said:

ahh the good ol days.

Some of those days were better than others...lotsa road warriors came through and no one got the best of Tommy Brown on his table. John DiToro, is/always will be a close friend and one of the best pool player on the planet with a full time job.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I'm not losing my mind. I saw him at DCC too. I was beginning to doubt myself. :eek:

Jay,

I'm pretty sure I played Bobby on the "TV" table Accu Stats set up at the DCC a couple of years ago. It was the only table with the "measles" cue ball. Thankfully they weren't commenting on the match but it was live on the 'net. People were telling me he was some kind of champ from a few years ago. My guess at the date is 2004 or 2005.

I remember walking over to him and offering to shake his hand. He stared at me and reminded me the score was only 6 - 3. At the end of the match, I don't remember any of the outbursts some posters have mentioned. I thought he was a perfect gentleman, though disappointed.

Please tell me I'm not crazy. I've already made two errors in my posts today!

Lyn